Very Stiff SBE II Safety

threeshot

My SBE II safety is so stiff (sounds like an introduction to a joke) that I will not be able to disengage the safety as I bring the shotgun to my shoulder and start my sighting (bird hunting).

Anyone manage to get his or her SBE II safety to break-in?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is how I fixed mine........On the back of the trigger mec. above the safety button is a horizonal drift pin. Under the pin is a spring with a plunger on the end that contacts the safety. The spring has too much tension. Drive out the pin, remove the spring and nip off one loop. Keep shortening the spring until you reach the desired tention. It took 2 loops and my safety works like my old 870. The tricky part is getting the drift pin back in while holding the spring down. It was a simple procedure tho.............Upland04

upland04,

Looking at the spare part list booklet for the SBE II, I see exactly the parts you wrote about in your posting. Good job describing them!

It appears that the safety plunger spring is pushing against the horizontal pin (safety spring retaining pin).

So how did you manage to keep the spring pushed down while getting the pin back into the trigger guard?

Thanks for the tip!

I kept it pushed down with another drift punch while I drove the pin in. Use a punch smaller in dia than the spring so the pin will catch the edge of the spring so you can remove the holding punch to drive the pin on over the spring. I didn't have much trouble..........Good Luck.........Other than the safety, I sure like the gun. I have 1000 rnds thru it so far................Upland04

I can certainly appreciate the desire to make a stiff safety work a bit smoother but nipping springs isn't something we can recommend. I will send an email to the chief engineer at the factory in Italy. I will post his response on this forum. Additionally, I will check our existing inventory to see if they are consistently stiff.....or if there are variations. If we can resolve this without cutting coils, I will send you guys a new spring so you can bring your shotgun back to factory specs.

Customer Service Manager

Benelli USA

Montefeltro

Thanks for your concern.

Both SBElls I purchased are the same. A young lady I was shooting clays with could'nt take the safety off so she just left it on fire as she loaded to shoot. Not very safe but,??????????????

I'll look forward to your message from Italy.Thanks so much..............Upland04

Gee whiz, Camo.....I thought I was helping you out. I relayed the info to our chief engineer in Italy, and just as I said before, I will post his reply. I can assure that prior to getting an answer, Benelli will research the issue. I expect an answer in a few days.

Stay tuned.....

Customer Service Manager

Benelli USA

Since this is a relatively simple problem, I might suggest that you disassemble the safety and examine the area that is used as a detent. It will be rather sharp, and that is the source of the problem, not the spring. Judiciously smooth the detent so the parts can work more freely. Personally I do not believe in the concept of "breaking in", especially a safety lever. This is something that should work perfectly from the start.

-Lazarus

Originally posted by Montefeltro:

Gee whiz, Camo.....I thought I was helping you out. I relayed the info to our chief engineer in Italy, and just as I said before, I will post his reply. I can assure that prior to getting an answer, Benelli will research the issue. I expect an answer in a few days.

Stay tuned.....

Customer Service Manager

Benelli USA

Okay sorry Montefeltro thanks for your concern and help I’ll wait and see what happens….Dad always said the squeaking wheel gets the grease…..or is it the spring? Anyway from my passed experience with Benelli you won’t mind if I don’t hold my breath for their answerer.

I just bought a SBE 2 in Timber HD w/a 24" barrel and my safety is very stiff plus as I posted in another thread it is loud when you take it off. I am disappointed that Benelli didn't notice/retify this problem prior to production. I also have some longterm concerns regarding the recoil pad. As you may know it is not held onto the stock by screws and during very cold/hot weather I worry about it possibly comming off.

I just purchased a sbe2 hd max4 adv. 28" barrel shotgun, i really like this gun. I shot 100 rounds of light dove LOADS THRU IT,first one jammed ejecting, 99 more light loads did not. Shot 50 3" mags thru it ,no problems along with 20 3" turkey loads-no problems at all. But the one problem I did have was that the saftey was so stiff that my finger was numb after shooting,not good! Some advice please,if fixable will it mess up my warranty? I'm useto shooting rem's,nice soft saftey. This saftey issue is something I should not have to be dealing with! ----REALLY LOVE THIS GUN,SHOT MANY DIFFERENT KINDS,THIS IS MY FIRST BENELLI,HOPEFULLY NOT MY LAST!

I too am not happy with the safety on my sbeII ...I would think that Benelli would have had this worked out before putting them on the market....It also seems to me that a reasonable amount of time has passed since these guns were released and they would have some kind of statement on the problem !!! I have just purchased two of the sbeII shotguns and both are not good ......... Thanks for letting me VENT !!!!!!...........DUCK

PS : I might add , they were purchased close to 300 miles apart .....IT IS A PROBLEM

I seem to have the same problem... But then again I also have a problem with missing camo.. I should have check out this website before I went to the store and picked up a new gun.. Guess that what happens when you buy a gun just because your wife says you cant..