Pulled over w/ CCW in MN

usmarine

I got pulled over by a cop tonite, for going thru a stoplight. It was pouring rain out, and I didn't want to get rear-ended if I slammed my brakes on. I didn't actually think he was going to give me a ticket, with the mitigating circumstances and all. I also turned on my interior lights before he walked up.

After he asked for my license, he asked for my Proof of Insurance. I told him, "Officer, before I get my Proof of Insurance for you, I want you to know I have a concealed carry permit, and I have a pistol in a soft case in my glove compartment box. So when I open my glove compartment to get my Proof of Insurance it will be in there."

He said, ok, thanks for telling me, and he got out his Streamlight to shine on my glovebox. I opened up the glovebox, got my Proof of Insurance and gave it to him. He looked at it, gave it back and went back to his car.

He then came back, gave me my ticket, and then said, "Once again, I appreciate you telling me about your CCW." And then went on his way.

Pretty good all the way around.....accept for the ****ed ticket.

Originally posted by usmarine:

After he asked for my license, he asked for my Proof of Insurance. I told him, "Officer, before I get my Proof of Insurance for you, I want you to know I have a concealed carry permit, and I have a pistol in a soft case in my glove compartment box. So when I open my glove compartment to get my Proof of Insurance it will be in there."

He said, ok, thanks for telling me, and he got out his Streamlight to shine on my glovebox. I opened up the glovebox, got my Proof of Insurance and gave it to him. He looked at it, gave it back and went back to his car.

He then came back, gave me my ticket, and then said, "Once again, I appreciate you telling me about your CCW." And then went on his way.

Pretty good all the way around.....accept for the ****ed ticket.

Good job. You did everything right. That is a text book example of how to handle a legally concealed weapon with an officer.

Up here in Alaska it is state law you have to tell the officer you have a ccw weapon if you are pulled over and you have a permit. A few years ago we passed a law that says you don't need a permit to ccw as long as you're not a felon etc. It also kept the ability to get a permit if you want it for other reasons. I never did see if you need to tell the officer if you have a ccw but no permit. It does make sense though...as long as you don't do it like this "Hey pig! I have a gun on me!" ;)

The National Weather Service used to keep archives of rainfall accumulation on their website, but the layout has changed since I last used it. I will post the link for you to their site. On the left side, look for "climate", and click on "past weather".....I tried switching the view from temp to percipitation, and it did give me some data, so putting in your zip code may give you some useful data.

National Weather Service

Hope this helps you Marine. smile.gif

[ 04-01-2006, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Likwid ]

Historical data can be obtained from a number of sources, but I imagine you're going to want to have a RADAR image from your location at the time of the infraction.

Judges sometimes aren't the brightest pennies in the jar, and a picture may be more effective than printed data.

For that, you're probably going to have to pay for it.

Check with local tv stations first as they may move more efficiently than government agencies.

If you do have to use a government agency, start here http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/ncdc.html

Also see http://climate.umn.edu/hidradius/legal_resources.htm

Another method would be to obtain historical data recorded by amatuer meteorologists in the area of the incident.

Advanced home weather stations record rainfall, temperature, pressure, etc. every thirty minutes or so.

You can find local stations on Weather Underground's Website

Find a reporting station near the location of your incident and print out that date's data, which should show how much rain fell in the half hour that you were pulled.

[ 04-01-2006, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Originally posted by Me:

Up here in Alaska it is state law you have to tell the officer you have a ccw weapon if you are pulled over and you have a permit.

Here you are required to show them the CCW permit when they stop you. If you don't, expect to have their gun drawn on you when they come back from checking out your drivers license and see that you didn't clue them into the CCW permit and possible weapon in the vehicle.

Only guilty people have a reason to hide a gun from a cop when pulled over. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by usmarine:

That's crappy though. What about PRIVACY?

Sort of like, they can't search without "REASONABLE CAUSE." and your permission.

If that happens, then they can get a warrant to search your car.

I never said to submit to a search or that they would ask to search you, only that in our state you are supposed to give the officer your CCW card when/if you ever get pulled over. That doesn't mean he's going to search you or your vehicle.

Having lived with law enforcement while growing up I learned that if you don't act like a criminal they won't treat you like one, and that if you treat them like you would want to be treated if -you- were the cop then there are far fewer problems. Especially for something as simple as a traffic stop.

Of course it helps that I don't drive like a jacka$$ or act like a punk. :D