Correct stock plate

Remy

I recently purchased a brand new, right-handed SBE 1. I am a left handed shooter, but always use right-handed guns.

My question is regarding the steel locking plate that goes inside the stock and is matched to the appropriate stock shim. What I need to know is whether I need to use a left hand locking plate or if one of the right-handed ones that came with the gun will work OK? It is kind of an unusual question, but I thought one of you guys might have some input. Thanks!

Originally posted by Remy:

My question is regarding the steel locking plate that goes inside the stock and is matched to the appropriate stock shim. What I need to know is whether I need to use a left hand locking plate or if one of the right-handed ones that came with the gun will work OK? It is kind of an unusual question, but I thought one of you guys might have some input. Thanks!

If I understand your question, you are talking about the steel plate that is in the BUTSTOCK?

If so you turn it one way for left handed and the other for right handed. THere is also a shim between the drop shims and the but stock up by the receiver that needs to be done accordingly.

Mike :D

Thanks for your responses, guys! I have a couple other questions:

tucker----Is Right Hand cast off the same thing as Left Hand cast on? Do you need to use different locking plates to accomplish this as the manual implies?

dagrizz----Can you just turn the steel plate around the other way to change from Right Hand cast on to Left Hand cast on?

I tried calling Benelli customer assistance to get this question answered------but never got through----which seems to be typical for them, unfortunately!

I assume you didn't get a manual, which covers the different shim setups.

You can download it from the Benelli Italian website.

Typically, a RH shooter uses cast off and LH shooter uses cast on.

Cast off is cast off, regardless of the shooter's shouldering preferences. Ditto for cast on.

[ 01-12-2006, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Originally posted by Remy:

dagrizz----Can you just turn the steel plate around the other way to change from Right Hand cast on to Left Hand cast on?

I tried calling Benelli customer assistance to get this question answered------but never got through----which seems to be typical for them, unfortunately!

Like I said in my post. Just turn it over and reinstall it. I found out the hard way when I put in backwards after I adjusted my drop shims.

Hope this helps.

Mike :D

• 4 weeks later...

If you are shooting a right hand gun left handed you need cast on or, SX as it may be marked for a better left handed fit. If you set up with cast off or DX you are going the wrong way.You shoot left set the gun for left. I have done this with my SBEI and a 391 SILVER MALLARD. I also shoot right handed guns from the left side.

Hey rch3030

Thanks for responding to my question. You say you have a right hand SBE 1 like I do and you have set it up properly to shoot it left-handed. What specifically did you change on the gun?

My manual shows that there are right hand stock locking plates (A,B,C) and left hand stcck locking plates (A-S,B-S,C-S). My gun being right handed, came with A,B, and C locking plates, of course. Do I need to purchase a set of left hand stock locking plates? I don't see on an SBE 1 that there is any other procedure that can be done to adjust the stock to shoot it left handed. What did you change on your gun. I would very much appreciate you describing any changes you made to correct the gun to shoot it left handed. Thanks a lot!