M1 Tactiacal or M4

steel-plate

Ready for a new semi auto. I will mainly use for SD and Plate shooting competition. M1 Tactical and M4 are my choices.

Problem, Im in CT and have a State AWB that limits shotguns with pistol grip from Holding any more than 5+1.

If I went with the M-4, and added the +2 extension, any way of Blocking 1 shot so I can remain legal?

Thanks

Cuting is a possibility. Though I would most likly take it to a Gunsmith to do that properly. Im Mechanicaly inclined, but dont like cutting-modifying anything on my guns myself.

M1014, any reasons I should consider the M4 over the Tactical? My buddy has a m1 Field, and he hardly ever has to clean it. The m4 is gas operated, so I assume there is recomended cleaning after every use?

Reasons,,,,,,hhmmmplenty of'em,the bolt has advanced features that ensure cycle reliabilty,the gas system operates flawlessly,minimal cleaning if any,a clean gun is a more reliable gun,so keep it clean,if weight is an issue,go get stonger,your gal will like it also.I like the heavier duty barrell on the M1014 over the upcomming M4,-----don't be shy, do the work yourself,it will teach you to stay teachable smile.gif smile.gif M1014

Thanks M1014.

I put the money down on the M1 Tactical regular stock though.

I held a M4, its Very nice. But Living in CT, the extra work to get that 1 extra shell or loose the pistol grip, and the Extra $$$, I just couldnt do it.

If I find I made a bad choice, I can always trade Up.

Im also ordering the +4 mag extension for it!

Thanks for all the Help!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey fellas,

I've got the M1 Tactical and did not know I could get a +4 additional Mag, as stated in the article above. I have not seen this in any of my Benelli handbooks or on the Benelliusa.com site. Could any of you guys tell me where online I could order mag. extensions to my guns?

Thanks for any help.

hi Richard,theres a place called Cal's Sporting Armory on the web,try a search with them,also try some word search on google,E-BAY -------------------------maybe-------,peace my Benelii brother))))))))))))))))))))))M1014(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( :cool:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that putting the +4 mag extension on the M1 is against federal law. Importation of shotguns with fixed magazines holding greater than 5 rounds is prohibited under the GCA amendments passed around 1989 (weapons can only be imported that have a "sporting use"); nor can imported weapons be converted to a form which would be illegal to import. See 18 USC 922 (l), 922 ®, 18 USC 925 (d)(3), and 27 CFR 478.39. This only applies to imported weapons, not US made ones. This law did not sunset with the AWB.

I am not an attorney, and I would love it if I am wrong, since I have a +4 sitting on a shelf! Can anybody show if I'm wrong?

I'd like to see you get a good answer from Benelli, because I had asked the same question with respect to the M4. My own conclusion (perhaps flawed) was that all these M1's, M3's and M4's are "surplus military firearms" under 925(d)(3). In fact, I AM a lawyer, but I'll be **** if any of this is cystal clear.

threeshot,

Okay now read further down to the heading "Other federal laws affecting "assault weapons", and you will see the import restrictions. We have layers of laws, and although the AWB expired, we still have to live with the import bans. Note items 22 and 23 for the M1 and M3, respectively. Even with the AWB gone, modifying the M1 or M3 presents, in the very least, a potential legal issue that must be confidently addressed, hopefully by Benelli for the benefit of its customers.

I guess this should be in its own topic, but since I seem to have hijacked it I reply here. I've spent several days in various web sites mired in legal language trying to find the answer to: is it legal to put the +4 extension (for a total mag capacity of 7 rounds) on an imported shotgun with all imported parts. It seems to me it is not legal based on the USC and CFR I quoted above, but its clear as mud. This is based on statutes and regulations separate from the AWB, and these did not sunset.

BATF on their website states they will not answer legal questions by e-mail, so I will plan to write a letter asking for BATF's interpretation on this. I don't know how long it will take to get an answer, but I'll post it in a new topic when I get it.

If it is illegal its not currently enforced vigorously now since I see M1's configured like this all over the place, but it doesn't mean it won't get you in deep trouble someday.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by M1014:

...I like the heavier duty barrell on the M1014 over the upcomming M4...

Better call the factory & let them know they're turning out M4S90's w/ incorrect barrel configurations!

News flash: This is a myth. How it got started, I have no idea. The significance of the M1014 is its engraved U.S. flag on the receiver...& the fixed "skeletonized" stock. Everything else is identical. Don't take my word for it - call the factory & ask.

Originally posted by M1014:

Hey Man, you're not sure about sh*t,

Don't you wish. I'm not the one passing wind here.

...and thats common knowledge,...

Really? Do tell of the like-minded individuals who share this "common" view of yours. Sorry to break it to you: the M1014's maker doesn't share your take on it. You're standing in your own little private room, lying to yourself..& believing the message.

...better call you;re mama for a huggies check,and that isn't any myth either tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
Having a hard time w/ the truth? I guess I'm just unable to relate to the sort of sophomoric rhetoric you seem to be confusing for a persuasive argument. Where can specific literature from Benelli be found to support your assertion? I'd like to see it. No, really.

Or, try this: check w/ the factory yourself & quote a source that contradicts what I've been told twice by BenelliUSA reps. I both emailed & called the factory directly to get the straight on this, & the response was consistent regarding this myth. Myth, that is.

The way it is.

I just picked up my 1014 today and can't wait to try it out. It's rainy and sloppy out here for the first time in 6 months so i'll have to sit here and stare at it at least until the deluge slows down. I see all the talk about +4 extensions...All I've seen is +2's. Does the +4 extend past the end of the barrel? What ather mods are common on these to improve performance? If any...