M2 cycling issue.

bonoiam

I have a M2 and I seem to have a problem with it cycling. When I first bought the gun I have this problem and after reading this board and the manuel I put 100 rounds of heavy game load through the gun. While shooting the heavy load it worked perfect except for the throbing in my shoulder. Last night shooting 5 stand on the second round I stated having a cycling issue, at the end everytime very frustrating. To make it worse a friend I shoot with is a browning devote and really rubs it in. I was shooting 3 dram, 7.5 shot 1 1/8 load, estate brand from sportsman wharehouse.. I clean the gun after every outing down to the firing pin. I have not cleaned the spring/parts in the stock of the gun. A friend of mine bought a super sport II at the same time. He shoots AA shells normal target load and has never had a cycle issue. Is the problem the cheap shells or the gun.

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by bonoiam:

I have a M2 and I seem to have a problem with it cycling. When I first bought the gun I have this problem and after reading this board and the manuel I put 100 rounds of heavy game load through the gun. While shooting the heavy load it worked perfect except for the throbing in my shoulder. Last night shooting 5 stand on the second round I stated having a cycling issue, at the end everytime very frustrating. To make it worse a friend I shoot with is a browning devote and really rubs it in. I was shooting 3 dram, 7.5 shot 1 1/8 load, estate brand from sportsman wharehouse.. I clean the gun after every outing down to the firing pin. I have not cleaned the spring/parts in the stock of the gun. A friend of mine bought a super sport II at the same time. He shoots AA shells normal target load and has never had a cycle issue. Is the problem the cheap shells or the gun.

Thanks for the help.

Those shells should not be a problem. I have shot about 15 flats of the Estate 3 Dram 1 Ounce #8's through my M2 with out a faillure to fire. I go through about 3 flats a month of those shells. I would definately look into cleaning the recoil spring in the stock and also, not sure if you do this or not, but also strip down the bolt and clean all of the parts in it as well. Go real light on the oil when you do this. I generally wipe it down to get all of the excess oil off. It does not tke much for this gun. If you have to much oil it will also cause problems with cycling. The oil that I use is Balistol.

Hope this helps you out.

Mike :D

Thanks, I will look into cleaning the recoil spring. I read the instructions for this on another post but it look difficult. I do not have a tourqe wrench. Is this as dificult as I am thinking it is? Also, how often do you clean the recoil spring. I was also going heavy on the oil to reduce cycling issues but you say the opposite. I will try using less.

More info it is a left handed gun, if that would make a difference?

Thanks

I'm starting to believe that $ 1200-1500 benelli

has some various relabilty issues. I own one now

tat I primarily turkey hunt with but I would

seriously ever consider benelli for high volume shooting. A gun like this should N E V E R !!!!

jam shooting bird loads.

My M1 will not cycle light game loads at all...for it work I have to shoot medium or high brass loads. I have shot a ton of high brass pheasant loads (shooting snakes...we have several beaver ponds on out land and they are full of water moccasins) and a ton of 00 Buck in both 2 3/4 and 3in and it never fails to cycle just as fast as you can pull the trigger...but try to shoot a low brass shell in it and turns into a single shot.

All my M1 will cycle light game loads (Wally World brand) and all the reduced tactical loads as well.

All my Beretta 1200's does exactlly the same.

One of my friend's new M2 does not cycle on light loads for him, I took the gun, shot the same load and empty the mag for him.

One thing with Inertia driven bolt is that you got to make sure the gun will move to enable this action. If you hold the gun too tight and prevent it to recoil, it will fail to cycle. In Benelli manual, it basically describe this, if you place the M1 against a brick wall, the gun will not cycle.

Try to shot it from the hip, see if the gun cycle then.

Not trying to give you a hard time HomeBuild but the last thing I want is a shotgung that isn't solid against my shoulder with 0 room to move. (except the natural recoil that causes movement) If you have any gap between your shotgun stock and your shoulder you could do some serious damage to your body. From bruising your shoulder to fracturing your collarbone. Especially if I'm shooting a Benelli. There should be relatively no problems if the gun is properly broken in. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

No worries... we are just expressing our experiences with this type of shotgun.

I was tring to point out is that some folks used to shooting other type of shotgun will provide a very solid posture to prevent any movement. With Benelli, my experience is that depending on what load you are shooting, you may need to adjust your platform a bit.

Putting a gap between your shoulder and stock is silly, I don't think anyone would do that. But putting all your weight behind a Benelli with a light load may cause FTC. (Of couse it would be different between a 130lb guy or 300lb guy)

Thanks for all the input. I really hope the cycling issue is caused by the user. I was under the impression that the gun needed a solid foundation in order to cycle. I will reduce the amount of oil used and clean the recoil spring and pay attention as to how I hold or bracing for the gun.

I will let you know how it turns out.

The break in period should not last longer than 100 rounds heavy, correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up. I cleaned and oiled the gun as indicated. Took it out on the 5 stand. 1st round of 25 1 missed cycle(mc). 2nd round 5 mc, third round 8 mc. I took it back to the dealer and they have sent it back to Benelli to be looked at.

I will let you know after the 4-8 week time frame. Anyone have a gun for loan?

Thats not good. I hope they make it right for ya. When you spend that much you expect that much. My M2 24inch camo was purchased right before turkey season, all I had to do was pattern some different shells and go, right, WRONG! This gun was shooting 8 to 10 inchs high at 30 yards right out of the box. Well if you turkey hunt, 8 to 10 inchs means a miss in the turkey woods. They had me change my shim from B to C, still high. They are sending me a larger front bead to compensate. Too bad my turkey season will be pretty much over.

This stinks. guns of this price and quality should not have these type of problems of jamming , etc, and for gun not to shoot dead on is a nightmare. For them to suggest changing shims and then

sending a oversized front bead shows how

little they understand about shooting a shotgun

at a turkey. If you put the gun in a vise and

shoot it, it will always shoot the same regardless

of the shims that you put in it. You could even cut the stock off and put it in a vise and shoot it, Granted, the recoil direction induced by changing shims is altered but generally not enough to change point of impact when you shoot the gun like a rilfle.

Obviously, while wing shooting, changing the fit of the gun through shims is effective to fine tune a gun.

This is all very discouraging to hear people who paid a lot of money for a gun that doesnt perform.

I had a 3 1/2 load not cycle correctly this year

while killing a coyote. Even though its only happened once, its unacceptable.

HH

Originally posted by HH:

This stinks. guns of this price and quality should not have these type of problems of jamming , etc, and for gun not to shoot dead on is a nightmare. For them to suggest changing shims and then

sending a oversized front bead shows how

little they understand about shooting a shotgun

at a turkey. If you put the gun in a vise and

shoot it, it will always shoot the same regardless

of the shims that you put in it. You could even cut the stock off and put it in a vise and shoot it, Granted, the recoil direction induced by changing shims is altered but generally not enough to change point of impact when you shoot the gun like a rilfle.

Obviously, while wing shooting, changing the fit of the gun through shims is effective to fine tune a gun.

This is all very discouraging to hear people who paid a lot of money for a gun that doesnt perform.

I had a 3 1/2 load not cycle correctly this year

while killing a coyote. Even though its only happened once, its unacceptable.

HH

You do not understand the Benelli shim system.

I am quite sure you are very well versed in the use of drop and cast in other stock fitting situations.

The Benelli shim system is specifically designed to allow the shooter to alter the POI without expensive gunsmith permament alterations.

I will try to post a great article in the June 2006 Shooting Times that outlines the Benelli shim system and why it is used by Benelli.

Until that time, please refrain from posting about topics that you have no knowledge on. This practice can be detrimental to those who want the truth, not a novice's speculation...

mudhen - CA

HH is right, changing shims will only change POI for the wing shooter or clay bird shooter.

No matter how you look at it, when you sight using a fine bead on top the vent rib, the pattern should be center to your target center.

My SBE is center, My montefeltro is center. My M2 is not! I called Benelli service and they had me shim the stock to the lowest ©. They also said if it didn't help, (It didn't) they could send me a larger bead to compensate for it, and they also said, " THESE ARE THE ONLY THING WE CAN DO TO CENTER YOUR PATTERN". I'm happy with that. They are trying to make it right.

I'm not here to Bash Benelli, or anyone here. I currently own 4 and love them. Just wanted some opinions or see if anyone else is having the same problems.

[ 05-04-2006, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: perrytrails ]

Guest GunCrazyD

Benelli has done all it can for my friends when they have had issues (few and far between) even in a high end gun there are sometimes issue....just like cars..even $80,000 cars need some service done..nothig is perfect ever...they will make it right....

You too are incorrect.

Donnie says vacuum...

I will try to post the shim article soon.

Benelli is telling you that the larger bead is advised after the shooter has attempted to change the POI using the shims.

I had the same discussion with Benelli CS last year.

My 12 or so Benellis have all needed some shim adjustments to shoot where I wanted each particular gun to shoot.

The only one that really was dead on out of the box was a 1990 SBE H&K version - low vent rib - still shoot that gun often.

mudhen - CA

The bottom line to this issue is very fundamental. When shooting a shotgun at a moving target as you would

a winged bird or clay target, your eye does indeed function as the rear sight. The basic dimensions of a shotgun, (it's

cast and drop) determine where the barrel is pointed when you shoulder your gun. If the barrel doesn't line up correctly

when you shoulder your gun, then you can make corrections by changing the cast and or drop, thereby changing where

the barrel is lined up to shoot. Most importantly, wing shooting is a very dynamic act. It is comparable to a golf swing

or virtually any other atheletic movement.

Shooting your gun like a rifle as in turkey hunting, requires that you use the rib, or bead (s) to line up your shot,

Your eye plays no role as a back sight. You must bring you eye in alignment with the back sight on the gun, which is

a mid-rib bead or indeed the rib itself. It is crucial that the gun shoots the same direction that the sights line up for.

Recoil is a very dynamic force that can have a significant effect on where the shot ultimately goes. Point of impact

can be altered by adjusting the direction of recoil. Adjustments to recoil do occur if you change the dimension of the stock.

Also, barrel whip is altered when you change the dimensions of the stock of a shotgun and then shoot it. In my opinion,

these are useful for fine tuning the point of impact but should not be expected to be effective for moving a pattern

more than 5-6 inches at 40 yrd.

I think the essence of gun fitting (stock dimensions) is to align the gun with the natural position of the eye while

in the dynamic act of shooting a moving target. I do not believe that recoil manipulation is the primary goal. Furthermore,

if you tried to use recoil changes to move a point of impact too much, the stresses on the stock could crack

some stocks and damage expensive guns.

HH

Originally posted by HH:

oh , mudhen. Are some sort of moderator or representative of benelli? or are you just some self appointed jerk?

HH

You should just admit you are wrong on this issue and cut your losses.

Like I said before, you are most likely correct about the custom fitting of other brands of shotguns.

You just have little knowledge, if any, on how the Benelli shim system works.

I don't see 'moderator' next to my name, do you?

If posting correct info on the Benelli system makes me a jerk, then so be it...

mudhen - CA

HH,

Judging from the pictures I've seen posted here for last couple of years, I'd say that mudhen needs no lessons on turkey or wingshooting.

We've seen these "my gun don't shoot where I aim" posts come and go in this forum.

Almost always, it's a case of the user not understanding how to adjust his weapon or how to adjust himself to the proper form.

".....the user not understanding how to adjust his weapon or how to adjust himself to the proper form. "

I understand Benelli suggested putting a big fat bead on the end of the gun. ....

and btw, it's a known fact that we invented turkey hunting here in Misiissiiippi

HH

Agreed, Virginia has lots of turkey hunting tradition.

John McDaniel (author- Turkey Hunting/

Prof -Wash &Lee) is an friend and even though we made plans to hunt together, we never

were able to match schedules. We did share

stories of our attempts to bag a turkey with

a longbow.

HH