Benelli Nova serial # question and loaded chamber question

ClearDark

I just picked up a Benelli Nova last week. Im new to shotguns, only owned a Mossberg 835 before, and can say I like the Benelli a whole lot better. Anyways, I noticed the serial # on the barrel wasnt the same as the serial # on the shotgun reciever...is this normal practice? Thanks in advance.

Edit: The Nova will be serving as my home defense shotgun as well as some hunting. Is it safe to leave a round chambered? Like, if it gets hit on the buttstock hard, or falls over I wont have to worry about it going off right? (excuse my newbie questions...but ya gotta start somewhere)

[ 03-13-2006, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: ClearDark ]

with Benelli,,the #s on the barrel and reciever don't match,,if the gun is NIB,,or brand new,,the #s will match the box and its shipping decals,,,heres a tip on the year they where made,,,,with all of the proof marks theres a little box with two letters in it,,those two letters tell you what year the barrel and reciever where made,,,then you come back to this forum with the two letters and some one here will tell you the year,,,,of course on a new or NIB they would match,,seeya M1014

Saw a show on cable TV that was about the Benelli factory with all there history plus they showed making all kinds of Benelli's. New Benelli's as far as the eye could see, WOW! Anyhow, the guest shooter explained that Italian law requires seperate serial numbers on removeable barrels, different from the serial number on the receiver. Did I mention there were rows and rows of new Benelli's?

SgtCathy

I forgot about the part of the post where you ask about keeping a round in the chamber. As you probably realize, in order to place a round in the chamber, the weapon must be cocked. Just racking the slide back automatically cocks the shotgun. My personnel opinion is that leaving a round in the chamber is very dangerous. Three reasons. First, if somebody else should get a hold of the shotgun, friend, neighbor, child or bad guy, there may be a horrible accident. Second, if your awakened at 2:11 am in the morning with the sounds of an intruder, your bound to be groggy, disorientated and may accidentally shoot yourself. And lastly, if you do indeed have an intruder, the sound of a pump shotgun racking a round into the chamber will convince the majority of folks to leave promplty. If not, at least you have made notice that you are armed and ready to dance. Of course all of this is just my single opinion.

SgtCathy

Hi Tucker301,

The show is on OLN (channel 55 in my area). It appears about once every 2 months and I believe it's called American Shooter. Don't forget to wear a lobster drool bib, you'll need it. They have a skeet range right on the factory grounds.

SgtCathy

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I wanted to know about a loaded chamber was to have the extra shell just in case. I will eventually install an extended magazine tube. I have been looking on the net but cant seem to find one. Anyways, thanks for the advice. I will also be looking for that TV show about the Benelli's.

I quess I'm a little bit of a show-off, because when I'm at the range with my H+K Imported, Super 90 M1, in defense configuration, I load it 7+1+1. Then I hold onto the rubber pistol grip, tuck my baby into my side and let-her rip. Then I give whatever guy is at the range drooling over my Benelli a try. Light English rounds all the way up to 3 inch magnums, in any order, it doesn't matter! Every one, including some women friends, all have giant smiles. Oops, got carried away. I hear the Nova's are pretty snappy to. Anyways, that's the only time I keep a round in the chamber. And no, I haven't been able to get all 9 shots off in a single burst. My wrist are to small and I'm not strong enough, but I have fun trying. smile.gif

SgtCathy

your right about the info on the program,,,I taped it a few years ago,,,when the M1014 just hit the streets,,about summer 2002,,the little man w/ glasses and a mustache introduces it by blasting it at Benelli"s own range,,I'll have to unearth the tape and watch it again for a review ;)