Trigger pounds

ringo711

The R1 trigger is not adjustable.

An experienced professional could improve it by polishing the engaging surfaces of the sear.

My trigger guage only goes to 72 ounces, and it wasn't even close to releasing.

Hey Benelli, why not buy Savage Arms and put the Accutrigger on the R1?

• 2 weeks later...

FOR SALE...slightly used Benelli R-! rifle

I recently bought an R-1 in caliber 308 Win. I have shot nearly 2 full boxes of ammo trying to get it sighted-in. Unfortunatley for me I didn't know about the "GARBAGE" trigger until after I had already bought it. I would never have spent this kind of money on a rifle that will not shoot anywhere as accurate as a $379 remington model 700 bolt action in the same caliber.

My rifle has been impossible to sight-in. I attribute this to the trigger pull issue. (My kids have a super soaker squirt gun with a crisper feeling trigger). Why a quality gun maker such as Benelli makes a gun that requires 6.5-7.5 pound trigger is beyond me.

I put a 3x9 leupold european 30mm tube scope on it with burris rings that required shimming on the picanny mount (another issue in itself). None of the quality scope makers have mounts for the R-1. Be prepared to mix and match scopes and rings.

I had planned on buying a Benelli shot gun next but I have reconsidered that decision as I am so disqusted with the R-1 rifle.

Customer service (non-service) never sent me the catalog I requested. It still hasn't come to this day. Do not waste your time emailing because of the simple reason they do not write back.

While the R-1 is a handsome looking firearm looks can be deceiving because it does not have the preformace or service to back it up. I will be putting my R-1 on consignment A.S.A.P.

Originally posted by DreamHuntz:

I would never have spent this kind of money on a rifle that will not shoot anywhere as accurate as a $379 remington model 700 bolt action in the same caliber.

My rifle has been impossible to sight-in. I attribute this to the trigger pull issue.

In the first place, if you believed that the cost of the rilfe is directly attributable to its accuracy, regardless of design, build, and intended pupose, then you are severely ignorant of rifle design and function.

I have a Savage bolt action that will shoot 1/2" groups and outperfom any Remington factory gun at 60% of the cost. My R1 cost me nearly three times what the Savage did, but it won't shoot 1/2" groups, nor did I expect it to.

Secondly, if you are unable to sight in the R1 because of the trigger pull, then you are completely incompetent and should not own a rifle of any make.

Thirdly, the R1 is a semi-automatic hunting rifle. It is not a finely tuned target weapon. It's designed to compete with the BAR, and it does so very well.

It's not designed to go head-to-head with the likes of Cooper, Savage, Kimber, and the lowly Remington on paper.

There are things that can be done to the R1 to improve its accuracy, but you seem to have your mind made up.

Finally, I'll give you $600 plus actual shipping to my FFL tomorrow.

PM me if you're serious about getting rid of that piece of junk tongue.gif

[ 08-31-2005, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

tucker301 you sounded like you almost knew what you were talking about. Any rifle that boast the quality of the Benelli should shoot better than the average if speaking of quality. The bolt locking system and lock time should make the first shot out of the barrel comparable to any rifle on the market. A well seasoned barrel will make an enormous difference in performance but the Benelli trigger for lack of words (sucks). A Savage and Remington both are within the same price range. I have both but. Until you compare the same caliber, barrel length and trigger pulls and optics you can't compare. The R1 is a close quarters hunting utensil. With the groups that I have seen shot 3" to 4" groups at 100 yds is not satisfactory at 200yds. It's not designed to go head-to-head with the likes of Cooper, Savage, Kimber, and the lowly Remington on paper

heck in my opinion its not designed to go head to head with anything. I would take a Remington 700 with a bent barrel over an R1...It may not shoot straight but i can adjust the trigger like I want and what the heck neither one is accurate

[ 09-01-2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Dr-Burns ]

Originally posted by tucker301:

quote:

I would never have spent this kind of money on a rifle that will not shoot anywhere as accurate as a $379 remington model 700 bolt action in the same caliber.

My rifle has been impossible to sight-in. I attribute this to the trigger pull issue.

In the first place, if you believed that the cost of the rilfe is directly attributable to its accuracy, regardless of design, build, and intended pupose, then you are severely ignorant of rifle design and function.

Secondly, if you are unable to sight in the R1 because of the trigger pull, then you are completely incompetent and should not own a rifle of any make.

tongue.gif You are probably the most arrogant person that I have ever read a post from...I will invite you to shoot a 6lb trigger against mine any day. Trigger pull is the key to accurate consistant groups. I can see that you like many others, that holding an FFL doesn't make you knowledgable of firearms or abilty to shoot. Ask any shooter what determines accuracy.

1. a good trigger

2. bolt lock up and lock time

3. cartridge chambering and spacing on or off lands

Howdy, doc!

1. The angry post was a troll from the start. Maybe it's loosely based on some semblance of fact, or more likely a skewed perception of fact, but a troll nonetheless. Therefore, my arrogance was not only warranted, but more than likely expected by the OP.

2. I do not now, nor have I ever held an FFL. Never said I did.

3. Simply stated, if I can get decent groups from my R1's overly heavy trigger, then - all other factors being equal, ringo should be able to do the same. Yet, he places all of the blame on the trigger pull.

Now that all that's out of the way, let me review your little 1,2,3 of accuarcy.

Assuming you assign an equal measure of importance to each item on the list, I will agree that all three are parts of a very complex accuracy formula. But you've left out so much that it calls into question your own credentials.

Are you really a doctor, or do you just play one on the forums?

Consistency on the parts behind the buttplate (grey matter, nerves, skin, blood, and bones) is essential.

On the mechanical end of things....

Barrel harmonics can play a huge role in sporter weight barrels. Having the bullet exit the barrel at the same point in the barrel's movement on each shot is critical. Having the bullet exit the barrel when it's in the center of it's ramge of movement each time is bliss.

Sporter weight barrels can be tricky. Some do best with a free-floating barrel, while others perform with slight, consistent presssure applied just forward of the recoil lug. Most semi-auto hunting rifles do not have barrels that can be floated, so it's important that the physical connections which fasten the barrel, action, and stock together are of good quality and minimize their succeptibility to variances due to temperature changes, vibrations, etc.

Selecting the proper bullet length and weight for the given barrel length and rate of twist is a big step towards accuracy.

I could go on and on about primers, bc's, rifling, head space, handloading, optics, humidity, crosswinds, thermals, burn rates, case capacities, canting, etc, etc., but I'd be boring a man of your vast lnowledge.

The simple fact is that ringo has placed 100% of the blame for his large groups on trigger pull, but that is not an accurate whole picture of what's going on.

Yeah, he could have a lemon, but with moronic statements such as the one he made above, it's easy to assume that he doesn't know a lemon from a peach.

[ 09-01-2005, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Howdy, doc!

2. I do not now, nor have I ever held an FFL. Never said I did.

3. Simply stated, if I can get decent groups from my R1's overly heavy trigger, then - all other factors being equal, ringo should be able to do the same. Yet, he places all of the blame on the trigger pull.

Now that all that's out of the way, let me review your little 1,2,3 of accuarcy.

Assuming you assign an equal measure of importance to each item on the list, I will agree that all three are parts of a very complex accuracy formula. But you've left out so much that it calls into question your own credentials.

Are you really a doctor, or do you just play one on the forums?

Consistency on the parts behind the buttplate (grey matter, nerves, skin, blood, and bones) is essential.

On the mechanical end of things....

Barrel harmonics can play a huge role in sporter weight barrels. Having the bullet exit the barrel at the same point in the barrel's movement on each shot is critical. Having the bullet exit the barrel when it's in the center of it's ramge of movement each time is bliss.

Sporter weight barrels can be tricky. Some do best with a free-floating barrel, while others perform with slight, consistent presssure applied just forward of the recoil lug. Most semi-auto hunting rifles do not have barrels that can be floated, so it's important that the physical connections which fasten the barrel, action, and stock together are of good quality and minimize their succeptibility to variances due to temperature changes, vibrations, etc.

Selecting the proper bullet length and weight for the given barrel length and rate of twist is a big step towards accuracy.

I could go on and on about primers, bc's, rifling, head space, handloading, optics, humidity, crosswinds, thermals, burn rates, case capacities, canting, etc, etc., but I'd be boring a man of your vast lnowledge.

The simple fact is that ringo has placed 100% of the blame for his large groups on trigger pull, but that is not an accurate whole picture of what's going on.

Yeah, he could have a lemon, but with moronic statements such as the one he made above, it's easy to assume that he doesn't know a lemon from a peach.

Are you consistanly an arse or do you just try to play one. I'll give you $600 plus actual shipping to my FFL tomorrow. as you can see from your own post that you did state that. Yes I know that powder, temperature, barrels, primers, casings, overall length, seating depth, crimp/ pressure during seating,bullet manufacturer and consistantly from the same lot as they all have variances. But overall you will see more concern of trigger jobs than anything else. As you have stated before the Savage is one of the best shooters out of the box. I have the old style trigger that is adjusted and polished that will shoot with any bench gun. I also have the 10ml with accutrigger and would prefer the old style. I'm used to touching a crisp trigger applying 1.8 lbs and have it fire. I do not personally own a R1 nor will I. If I was going to spend that kind of money it would be a pre64 winchester model 70 featherweight. The problem with the groups in the R1 is that at 3-4 inches at 100 on a moving animal that 4in could mean a wounded animal. a Quartering towards means possibly gut shot thru no vitals. But before this goes any further is there away to lighten and smooth the trigger that doesn't cost an arm and leg..Remember the impression that you give is the one to be remembered. To each his own but the demeaning of one human being by another is unwarranted. I feel that you have enormous amounts of animosity built up inside and that you feel that by belittling someone elses abilities makes you feel better about youself and your own inabilities. Please forgive my typing skills but my hand writing is worse. I just thought of something else and rather than an additional post. There is no 1,2,3 rule for fine tuning a rifle. What works for one may not work for another even if same make and model

[ 09-01-2005, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Dr-Burns ]

Originally posted by Dr-Burns:

quote:

quote:

tongue.gif You are probably the most arrogant person that I have ever read a post from...I will invite you to shoot a 6lb trigger against mine any day. Trigger pull is the key to accurate consistant groups. I can see that you like many others, that holding an FFL doesn't make you knowledgable of firearms or abilty to shoot. Ask any shooter what determines accuracy.

1. a good trigger

2. bolt lock up and lock time

3. cartridge chambering and spacing on or off lands Tucker301

How does the Benelli television commercial slogan go?I beleive it is something like this...

" "Quality worth the Price"

I say Horse apples. There seems to be way to much dicussion about the nasty trigger pull /pressue issue. The reason stated on the website is that it is a saftey precaution against lawsuits from consumers accidental shooting themselves.( oh yeah... don't forget to write back when you get out of the hospital) These guns should be recalled by Benelli.

DreamHuntz and ringo,

Have the dealer measure the pull weight, then call Benelli CS and ask them what the pull weight should be.

If you're more than a pound above spec., tell them you want to ship the rifle in to have it corrected.

Mine is in excess of 72 ounces, but I can still shoot 1-1/2" to 2" Groups with it at 100 yards.

As soon as the weather cools a bit more, I plan on trying to improve on that by experimenting with different loads.

I'm really interested in trying the Barnes TripleX's.

Also review information I posted in another thread here.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forums/ultimatebb.php/topic/5/16.html#000001

Doctor Phil,

When someone says, "Shipped to my FFL", it means that the gun will be shipped to the FFL dealer of their choice for legal transfer of ownership and registration.

At least that's the way it's been in the interstate deals I've been a part of.

I'm not even going to get into your personal opinions about me.

Review my posts and you'll see that I try to help those who seriously seek it and seem to be intelligent enough to help in the first place.

I'm not a Benelli employee, and I have sided with dissatisfied customers whenever I've felt that they have not been given a fair shake by CS.

I've had a couple of issues with Benelli CS and they have always left me pleased, even though I had to give them a couple of tries to get it right.

I DO have an R1, so I guess that makes me at least somewhat more qualified than yourself on this issue.

I don't like the heavy trigger pull, but I fully support Benelli's decision to manufacture a semi-auto hunting rifle with an overly safe trigger weight.

They have no control over who purchases their products. It could be knowledgeable and experienced shootists, such as you and I, or it could be a good old boy who likes to ride his loaded Benelli around on the seat of his truck as he jumps stumps on a logging road.

Given the way the courts hand out ridiculous awards to morons who take no personal responsibility for their own actions these days, I'm surprised ANY company tries to make a living in firearms.

Given your ill-informed bias against the R1, it would be best that you don't ever buy one.

As for me, I have one, I shoot it, I hunt with it, and I am pleased with it's performance.

It does everything I expect of it, and more.

It's not that my standards are lower than anyone else's. It's simply a matter of knowing what you're doing, and having realistic expectations of an autoloading medium to big game hunting rifle.

I have fulfilled several of my lifelong dreams, but I still have a trophy elk hunt on the todo list.

Should that opportunity arise in the near future, my R1 will be my weapon of choice, because I have confidence in its abilities and mine.

Another item on the list is to spend a day or two popping PD's at 400-1000 yds.

While the .308 is an excellent long-range selection, the R1 is not the tool for that particualr job, anymore than my 22-250 is up to the challenge of a cornered cougar or a charging boar.

///phenom, where the He11 are you?!!

[ 09-01-2005, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

"Doctor Phil

When someone says, "Shipped to my FFL", it means that the gun will be shipped to the FFL dealer of their choice for legal transfer of ownership and registration.

At least that's the way it's been in the interstate"

The term My convey's ownership. You are right about one thing you do own an R1 but that in itself doesn't make you more qualified. If the reason they state is for safety then so be it. I think that Benelli could back off of that position somewhat and have a much better firearm.

quote "Given your ill-informed bias against the R1, it would be best that you don't ever buy one.

As for me, I have one, I shoot it, I hunt with it, and I am pleased with it's performance.

It does everything I expect of it, and more.

It's not that my standards are lower than anyone else's . It's simply a matter of knowing what you're doing, and having realistic expectations of an autoloading medium to big game hunting rifle."

If your gun shoots 1 1/2 - 2" groups you have a good semi-auto and that is a reasonable expectation

The ones that I have seen don't do that and as you have read there are many that don't. So someone with the same realistic expectations of performance are being disappointed. Thanks for your time, good luck in what endeavers you take on.

The ones that I have seen don't do that and as you have read there are many that don't.

I have read here about two or three that don't group well. I wouldn't call categorize that as "many".

In the whole scheme of things, I'd say that the satisfaction level is near 99% among R1 owners.

Many, many people don't come to this site, or even know about it, until they think they have a problem and they come here seeking soultions.

"Many, many people don't come to this site, or even know about it, until they think they have a problem and they come here seeking soultions."

I agree that for the most part forums are used to try to solve the problems at hand.ie trigger pull issues. In the present you have a few that are grieved over spending the 1000.00 or so dollars on an expectation that it is a fine quality/shooting gun only to be disappointed because their personal expectations based on advertisement and endorsements were so high and in reality the Benelli R1 is little more than any other semi-auto on the market. Personally I would have expected much more of the R1 after shooting there shotguns. I, wanting to be more familiar with the R1 went to a dealer friend of mine and made the offer that if it shot sub 2" groups I would buy one if not I got my pick of rifles at cost. The dealer declined the offer stating "I can't garantee that the rifle will do that and if not I have to sell it as used" shows little faith in the quality of Benelli. I do appreciate you being candid in your opinion and support of a product that you believe in. It is my personal opinion that if I was going to buy a rifle to hunt with that each and every shot would be on the mark. I will continue to watch the rifle and at such time that it meets my expectations I will consider the R1 with comfort stock in a 300mag.

quote:

I, wanting to be more familiar with the R1 went to a dealer friend of mine and made the offer that if it shot sub 2" groups I would buy one if not I got my pick of rifles at cost. The dealer declined the offer ....

Apparently, he's seen you shoot before :D Goodness gracious you just don't know when to stop. I guess I left it open though. I have seen your off target groups from your savage 22-250 on the other post no where in there was the target center. I can see why your impressed with the R1 :confused: . You need a 12 inch kill zone for that group you shot to have even hit the animal. I know that you will have an excuse, weather crosswinds yada yada yada..I have no problem with the groups from any of my rifles and mine are zeroed on the target center with sub 1" groups at 100. Mike and I shoot on a regular basis together and feels that the R1 will not impress me as far as grouping..I guess my standards are higher than yours. I feel that accuracy is important. I can see that by your groups that accuracy is not a factor for you but you are consitantly off center. When you get it sighted in shoot another group. The bullet holes should be where you put the cross that is inside your scope :D That is what those lines are for smile.gif I know that you will have something to say as now that someone has discovered your inability to shoot straight

It's been great fun here, and I've enjoyed your visit tremendously, but tomorrow's the dove opener, and I've been losing sleep helping people all week.

My new Veloce and I have a BIG day planned tomorrow, and I'm as full of anticipation as any 5 year old on Christmas Eve.

Have a good evening, doc.

• 1 year later...

I bought the R1 back in 05'. I really didn't do any homework I just happened to be at a gun shop with a bunch of buddies and I needed a deer rifle. The Benelli R1 caught my eye, the gun had a sleek look, lightweight, the Benelli name, and was suppossed to be as accurate as a bolt-action. So I bought it. I used it twice for deer season in 05' and the gun shot pretty good, groups of around 2 1/2in. Well this year my groups are everywhere and the gun is not racking rounds after the first shot. The gun has been cleaned. I'm feeling a little cheated right now by Benelli. I paid a premium price for a rifle that should back premium performance. Usually a premium price gets a product that last longer, performs better, and requires less upkeep than the competition. I don't want to spend alot of time babying a rifle than should shoot right out of the box like all the others. I'm new to this post I found it when I typed in Benelli R1 problems. Also don't have too much experience with firearms/gunsmith I was looking to see if anyone had a quick fix. Thanks Mike

Mike,

You would have been much better off posting to a new thread, rather than taking onto the end of this fray.

Your rifle is still under warranty and you should call, not e-mail, Benelli regarding the problems you're having.

When you cleaned the rifle, did you fully disassemble the gas piston assembly and thoroughly clean the gas ports?

Also check the recoil spring assembly for corrosion and dirt.

I'd fully disassemble the rifle and give it a complete cleaning before passing judgement.

What kinds of solvents and lubes are you using, and to what degree (quantities)?

Tucker,

Tonight I fully disassembled the rifle, for the first time and was looking to see if I could find any malfunctions. Before I had just run a Bore-Snake through. For the most part everything looked pretty clean and in good shape. However I did notice that my red points were not aligned. I guess the guy at the store or benelli misaligned them. I believe that this locks the barrel in place, but I never noticed any loosening of the barrel from receiver. What are the negative effects that can happen from this? I have some hoppes elite and hoppes solvent. What have you found to work best for your R1? I'm going to clean everything tomorrow. Over the weekend I'll hit the range to see if any of this helps. I had a **** of a time figuring out how the barrel fit snug to the receiver. I said the **** with it and started to lock the barrel cap when I noticed that it popped into place. Is it designed that way?

Read this post I made a while back.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forums/ultimatebb.php/topic/5/105.html

Benelli has replaced the barrel nut design that you have (two red dots) with a newer style.

They were giving the new style to anyone who requested it through Customer Service.

Call them and give them your serial number and tell them that you'd like the new style barrel nut.

The new style locks down. When it's tight, it's tight. No red dots to align.

Until then, don't be afraid to got a click or two past the red dot if it still feels kind of loose.

When I switched mine out I was getting two clicks past before it felt right.

I was using the Hoppes Elite and it was working fine on my R1.

Regarding the barrel to receiver fit, I don't recall there being any binding as the two ent together, but it's been several months since I've had my hands on a R1.

As I recall, the barrel slipped right in, although you should slide the bolt back slightly to allow the barrel to drop in unimpeded.

Make sure you disassemble and clean the gas piston assembly.

Apply a drop of oil to the o-rings before you take it apart and before you put it back together.