R1 in .308 accuracy

TomA

Originally posted by Ivanab:

I have a 30-06 carbine R-1. It will shoot 1" - 1.5" groups at 100 yards with winchester silvertips.

I recently purchased a 300mag in the R-1, but have not shot it yet.

I just noticed that you already owned a R-1 in the 30/06 caliber and recently purchased another in rifle in 300. win. too. Did you ever consider just buying the the 300 Win barrel since they are supposed to be interchangable? I believe it is supposed to be about half the price of buying the entire rifle. This was one more reason I decided to buy the R-1 myself. I had originally wanted a 300 win myself but changed my mind to the 308 win instead. I am very pleased with the performance. I have had several Browning BAR and Remington 7400 owners tell me about their displeasure of owning both of those rifles. Everything from hanging up when extracing spent rounds to beating the scopes off their guns and not being to keep them sited in.

In making my decision when it came to selecting the caliber I liked the fact that while very accuate the .308 win has the least violent recoil and would be less likey to abuse my scope and mounts and more dependable because of the relatively short case length was perfect for a semi-automatic rifle.

I mainly purchased my R-1 to hunt whitetails during the rut in Alabama and Central West Georgia which can offer a variety of tight brush shots as well as some long field shots. I wanted to have the confidence that my rifle would stay sited in as consistant as possible for a 100-300 yard shot if needed.

I plan on hunting 30-40 days from starting just before Thanksgiving thru the end of January... that will be the real test that makes or breaks my opinion of how dependable and accurate the R-1 really is. I am curious how the 300 win shoots and does it stay sited in. I have heard of one person that had extraction problem and another concerning reloading with the 300. wins clip.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by DreamHuntz:

quote:
Originally posted by Ivanab:

I have a 30-06 carbine R-1. It will shoot 1" - 1.5" groups at 100 yards with winchester silvertips.

I recently purchased a 300mag in the R-1, but have not shot it yet.

I just noticed that you already owned a R-1 in the 30/06 caliber and recently purchased another in rifle in 300. win. too. Did you ever consider just buying the the 300 Win barrel since they are supposed to be interchangable? I believe it is supposed to be about half the price of buying the entire rifle. This was one more reason I decided to buy the R-1 myself. I had originally wanted a 300 win myself but changed my mind to the 308 win instead. I am very pleased with the performance. I have had several Browning BAR and Remington 7400 owners tell me about their displeasure of owning both of those rifles. Everything from hanging up when extracing spent rounds to beating the scopes off their guns and not being to keep them sited in.

In making my decision when it came to selecting the caliber I liked the fact that while very accuate the .308 win has the least violent recoil and would be less likey to abuse my scope and mounts and more dependable because of the relatively short case length was perfect for a semi-automatic rifle.

I mainly purchased my R-1 to hunt whitetails during the rut in Alabama and Central West Georgia which can offer a variety of tight brush shots as well as some long field shots. I wanted to have the confidence that my rifle would stay sited in as consistant as possible for a 100-300 yard shot if needed.

I plan on hunting 30-40 days from starting just before Thanksgiving thru the end of January... that will be the real test that makes or breaks my opinion of how dependable and accurate the R-1 really is. I am curious how the 300 win shoots and does it stay sited in. I have heard of one person that had extraction problem and another concerning reloading with the 300. wins clip. My 300mag seems to shoot pretty good. I did not have a chance to shoot it to much before I went to Montanna last week but took it anyway. I did not see any elk in the warm weather, but did kill a nice mule deer at 275 yards. The R-1 but it right where it needed to be. I love both it and the 30-06. I think I may hunt with the 300mag more than the 30-06, because I am a big guy and the recoil does not seem to bother me.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I recently purchased a Benelli R1 in .308 for 653.00.I have upgraded to a Comfortech stocks and a Leupold VXL 4.5-14X50mm. I love this rifle! I did notice that the accuracy is affected by the "barrel cap" greatly. However, the results are very pleasing! I found the rifle to be capable of sub 1" groups. I even put a hole through a quarter at 100yds. ! I couldn't be more pleased with this product. However,I would like to hear about any different ways to keep the cap from coming loose during fire.

I have an R1 Comfortec in 30-06 with a low mounted Leupy VXIII 2-8 and after a couple near sales of it, decided to keep her and use it this season. I'd been hung up with sub-MOA dreams and was going to get a custom bolt to do just that. My R1 will do consistent 1-1.5" off sandbags at 100 with cheap Winchester Powerpoint 165's from day 1 and for now I'm happy with that. I hunt dense evergreens in Vt, NH, Me and Ontario for deer and honestly never had a rifle that carries and comes up quite as nice as the R1. No need for me to think about too many 300 yd shots and follow-up shots at flashing 50yd bucks are more important in my situation. Also, tracking and covering 8-10 miles a day requires something that feels good in your hand all day (don't bother with slings in these woods). To each his own, but the R1 fits the application I need right now perfectly and I love it after spending 3 weeks carrying it. It also makes me feel good to hand it to someone at the camp and watch the smile come to their face when the 1st shoulder it.

http://myspace-590.vo.llnwd.net/01516/09/54/1516334590_m.jpg

http://myspace-924.vo.llnwd.net/01516/42/93/1516333924_m.jpg

This is a repost ,but I think it is more relevent here."It was more like the Hand of God came down and said "This is your day!". I walked into the gun store and they had a Benelli R1 in .308 w/wood stocks the price was $635.00! It seems the previous owner wasn't getting a tight enough group, got fed up and kicked this dog to the curb! I quickly asked for the rifle,as there were several Hunters milling around the area .Using the "Jedi Mind Trick", I asked him to swap the Comfortech stocks off of one of the numerous R1's they stocked.He happily did just that and charged me $ 50 difference! Keeping my cool I enquired about installing the 4.5X14 50MM VXL as well. After about 20mins the deal was done at a final cost of $1465. Yes, the scope cost more than the rifle ,but what is a grown boy supposed to do? P.S. I have now added three 10rd clips from Benelli to the system."

[ 12-07-2006, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Omega75 ]