Reloading problem...!

Viking

Hi! I'm suffering a problem with reloading my 30-06...

Have only fired 40-60 rounds with training ammo so far, from Winchester and Sellier & Beliot.

The problem is that the round is not brought into the chamber, but I have the "click". This means that it reloads, but not completely.

Very annoying since the Norwegian moose season is just around the corner, and this makes the theoretical follow-up shot difficult...!

Any good ideas? :confused:

"Training ammunition"?

Please, please, PLEASE tell me you don't mean military surplus :eek:

Have you cleanded the rifle, or are you going to try to push 100 or better through her before that?

Assuming you mean Sellier & Bellot...

Are trying to destroy this weapon as quickly as possible?

Thoroughly clean the weapon, or whatever's left of it.

Buy and use quality ammunition, and see where you stand from there.

[ 09-01-2005, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Hi champ...!

No military surplus... my training ammo (full metal jacket) is SB33160 and UMC centerfire L30062 - supposedly good quality ammo?

Have never fired more than 12 rounds pr day, 3 series of 4 - cleaned (and oiled moving parts) after every dayat the shooting range.

Any constructive suggestions of "quality" full metal jacket ammunition? Have planned to use the new Fusion 180 gr for game hunting

Here's a tip:

When posting about an improperly functioning gun, it would be helpful to provide as many details as possible. That would include any information regarding cleaning, since many cycling problems are directly attributable to a dirty weapon.

Good luck with the problem.

You might want to call customer service and ask them about it.

[ 09-02-2005, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

• 2 weeks later...

Do not reload the brass that has been shot in your R-1. It is pretty much trashed because of expansion in the chamber. It is completely different than reloading used brass that has been run through a bolt action or pump action rifle. You can however load your own using new casings and should eliminate the problem.

I have never had my 30-06 malfunction. I will also admit that I do not take real good care of my guns. I sighted it in last year and cleaned it. I bought a new scope and had to sight it in again. I probably fired 80-100 shots thru the gun after the first cleaning and it never hung-up. I fired my first few roads thru my 300mag. last week and it would not load the 3rd bullet. I realized it always happened on the third shot and realized the clip "wing" on the left side of the clip was bent over a little further than the right "wing". I adjusted it wth pliers and it worked flawlessly after that.

I hope this helps.

Originally posted by Bossman:

quote:
Originally posted by Rosco:

I have the R1 in 308 and have been experiecing the same problem since I first shot it, Im not using cheap ammo either I am shooting Hornady 150 grain SST, if I dont clean my gun after about 10-12 rounds it will fail to feed. ANY HELP OUT THERE?

Bossman,

My R-1 is caliber .308 winchester also. I have shot a variety of hornady/nosler bullets including 150 grain,165 grain and 180 grain loads thru my rifle.They were all boat-tail bullets. I never found a consistant load to my liking. I even went as far as reloading nosler partician bullets in each of the before mentioned grain weights to no satisfaction. However the 150 grain bullets always seemed to group best. What I did notice was that the shorter the bullet...the better the group (3 shots)@ 100 yards.Then I started thinking about what was going on! Since the R-1 has a 1-11 twist in the barrel, the shorter bullets were stablizing best. I completely got away from the longer boat-tail loads. (I bought 1 box of the old reliable Remington pointed soft points in 150 grain.) My gun began shooting very tight groups of 1" or less at 100 yards. The best group I have shot was so tight that it would fit under half of a quarter. Asd far as seasoning the barrel I have cleaned my barrel once in probably 80- 100 rounds fired. i have shooting buddies that swear by bolt action accuracy that can't believe their eyes...I BET YOUR RIFLE WILL DO THE SAME...GOOD LUCK.

please let me know what the results are.

• 2 months later...

quote:
Originally posted by Rosco:

I have the R1 in 308 and have been experiecing the same problem since I first shot it, Im not using cheap ammo either I am shooting Hornady 150 grain SST, if I dont clean my gun after about 10-12 rounds it will fail to feed. ANY HELP OUT THERE?

Hi I have a R-1 too. 300 mag I experienced the same problem and I figured out that there was a burr in the barrel from when the company had drilled the gas port. Take the barrel off and look into the light and you should see a burr located in the barrel where the barrel screws onto the reciever. Benelli replaced our barrel for free because its warrantied for 5 years. This problem affected my accuracy when I shot. This caused a 6 inch group when I shot at 50 yards. When I got the new barrel I noticed there was no clearance between forearm and barrel. This could cause bad accuracy. I had to sand the forearm down to get the clearance. Good luck and let me know if this helps any.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by garren:

bullethead,

Benelli replaced it because of the burr in the barrel? Could you be more specific?

Specific as to what.The burr was caused from the drilling of the gas port in the barrel located under the rear sight inside the barrel when you take off the barrel and look into the light you should see a burr in the barrel. This is caused because they drilled the gas port after they rifled the barrel. We returned the gun to where we purchased it and they sent it to benelli. Take it to a gun smith and have them check it.

Originally posted by garren:

bullethead,

Sorry, if my question sounds ironic to you. Everybody in some instances has a problem with a gun and all these posts in some way help to find solutions.

If it’s just a small particle around the edge, Benelli probably just brush it out, not replace the barrel. You can easily check it by the number on the barrel. If the burr is big and hard enough to be pushed out by the bullet, it could cause you a lot more problems then just affecting accuracy. I was really curious how that barrel came out from the factory without testing.

I don't know how it got out of the factory that way but it did. It also jamned and put gouges in the bullets. My gun is fixed trying to help others that might have the same problem . My gun did get a new barrel because the serial numbers are different know. If this isn't your problem sorry I couldn't help.

Thanks Jax. Fla., I'll give it a try.

I started this "problem" - and I have sorted out my problem! From the users manual I believed that I could assemble and take my R1 apart without the use of tools. Not totally true ...

I learned that I have to use the fore end follower on the fore end assembly as a tool to tighten the barrel lock follower assembly hard enough.

This sorted my R1 - and it works perfectly now! Hopefully this may help you too??

Happy New Year and good luck!