Question's about kick

Tommy Boy

Hello there all. I am new to this site. It sure looks good.

I am a 43 year old man who in Dec 2001 was in a car wreck. Since then, I have had 2 neck surgeries and many other attempts to fix thing's. None working so far. Oh well, life will go on.

The bad part is that I have trouble shooting my hunting rifle. I have gone back to my old 6MM to hunt with. I now have to use a by-pod to hold it up, but I can still hit the side of a barn. :D I gave my 30-06 710 Remington to my son. It has to much kick for me now. The 6MM is not what I would call the best Elk rifle out there. I know it depends on where you hit it. But I still want to drop it close. I have about 40% use of my left arm.

I have done some reading about the R1 and how little kick it has. But what does "Little" mean. I have seen the pricing for it. That is alot for me to try and find out that I can or can't shot it. I also haven't work for a year and a half. Trying to get retrain. I don't like this disabled stuff. It's scary.

I have looked into buying a pistol to hunt with. But I am not a good shot with one. Let's just say that the side of the barn is safe. Nothing else is safe. I feel that to much training and pratice will be needed.

Since hunting season starts on the 23rd, I will use my 6MM this year. But I am looking for a gun rifle to hunt with that can handle elk, moose and bison. The last two are only if I get the permits.

Any help would be great.

Tom

I would not recommend the R1, strictly on its claims of reduced recoil. My 30-06 kicks every bit as much as my Browning BAR ever did.

Have you tried the managed recoil loads in the 30-06?

If you prefer a semi-auto, have a look at the Browning BAR in .270 WSM.

The recoil will be considerably less than the heavier 30 caliber weapons, but still deliver enough energy for the larger deer species.

If you'd like a more accurate weapon, I can't say enough good things about the Savage bolt action rifles. You might also want to look at the Savage Striker pistols, which are handguns, but are more accurate than many rifles.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but I admire your resolve to continue hunting.

I recently bought the R 1 comfortech in the 300 win mag. Took it and my 3 0 8 to the range last week. The R 1 had about the same recoil as my 3 0 8. If your worried about recoil I would think the 30-06 in the comfortech would be something you may want to check out.

Recoil is my biggest concern. As a kid many many years ago I shot my dad's 7MM. Not oly did it knock me on my butt, it flipped me over. I was about 11 or 12. A little thing at the time. Now, I am bigger.

With the problems in my neck and having it plated. Cold weather kills me. I know that if I take a impact to my neck that I may not be able to much of anything. With that said, I am not giving up my life and say that I can't do anything. I just have to find a differnet way.

My 6mm has no kick. The 30-06 710 does. I still want to take down an elk, bear, moose and bison before I die. Which is many years away, I pray. So I want something that will work for me.

I will try and find the 30-06 comfortech around here. I just wish that places would let you shot them before you buy them. I will also check into the managed recoil loads. If I switch to the managed loads, will I have to resite in the 30-06 that I have?

Tom

You should always re-sight the weapon when switching loads.

That's true even if you are just switching brands that are otherwise the same bullet weight.

The ComforTechs are pretty scarce right now from what I can tell, so you might have some trouble getting your hands on one.

If there's a nearby range or local gun club, you may get some opportunities to actually test fire some weapons. I'm sure the locals would be glad to help you in any way they can.

I'd have no problems letting you fire mine, but it's a long way to VA.

Give those managed recoils a try. It's your cheapest gamble anyway.