How to lighten trigger pull

tucker301

Liability concerns prevent me from posting a full set of instructions, but I can tell you that the R1's trigger pull can be greatly be improved upon.

It takes a decent bit of mechanical knowledge or intuition, and a few common tools.

trigger_tools.jpg

Mine now breaks at a comfortable and safe 64 oz.

It used to be somewhere around a brick and a half.

The first thing you'll need to do is to remove the trigger group assembly from the receiver.

Once you have it out, carefully **** the mechanism and pull the trigger. It helps to hold the hammer back and let it travel in small increments. Pay careful attention to how the parts interact, and which surfaces work against each other.

There should be two particular points of contact which will enlighten you as to where to apply your efforts.

You'll also see where the trigger creeps. Although not much can safely be done about the creep, it does at least allow you to see what's going on and when the creep comes to the end of travel.

Knowing this when shooting the R1 should help you with your technique.

It's almost like a two stage trigger.

If you mess around with it enough, you'll notice that the return sping on the trigger accounts for about 24 oz. of the total pull weight.

I DO NOT recommend trying to shorten or modify this spring, or any other springs, in any way whatsoever!

Work patiently, diligently, and test, test, test as you go.

Mine took about an hour to get it to where I wanted it.

From the pictured items, you should figure out that polishing is a large part of the improvement process.

Remove metal only at YOUR OWN RISK!

Do not PM me for more information.

If you don't understand what you're doing, then don't do it!

Take it to a professional.

Tucker -- There you go, going off all half ****ed again.

Oh before I forget, I meant to ask you what's the name of that thingy you hit with a badminton racquet? It's a shuttle something right?

Thanks for the info! I'll take mine to the shop if I get a wild hair, um you know.

-Glenn

Great thread. Laughing my asssss off. Reminds me of something I saw the other day at my uncles farm . There were two cocks that are usually kept seperate, somehow both cocks got loose and the one **** bloodied the other **** pretty bad. I'd post a picture but I don't think I should post a pic. of a bloddy ****. I don't condone **** fighting and the pic. may imply that I condone **** fighting. Plus who the **** wants to see a bloody ****? Its so sad. Oh and about tuckers inital post, of course he's correct and I'd heed his warning about removing metal, once its gone it ain't coming back. I do trigger work on customers firearms (generally pistols) most of the triggers that I "lighten" have springs (and such) you can special order to go along with the trigger work. But its harder then one might think, you really need to know what your doing. I have a S&W 686 that I dramatically reduced the pull on. The downside is I made it so light the firing pin won't penetrate ceartin primers. I have a round that always works and the single action is awesome. Reason for this story is to add to tuckers caution. You can lighten a trigger TOO much, to the point where your firearm can't ignite primer's. Be wary.

OHHHHHH man your killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've got me laughing my *** off. Oh my stomach hurts...There are so many openings I just gotta stop. We gotta end this thread. It is friiigggiiinnn hilarious, but we could go on forever with these jokes. The important thing is the inital topic has actually been covered. If a newbie searchs this sight for trigger work and finds this thread he should find the info. he needs. He'll definitely think we've got some A1 nutjobs (or comics) around here. Leave nutjobs as it was intended, please. I left it wide open with that choice of words. No seriously I gotta stop...

• 6 years later...

I'm working on my Benelli Super sport trigger to lighten it up. I started with about 86oz of pull. After polishing both trigger mec. surfaces starting with 600 grit and finishing with 800, I'm down to 78oz. I just can't seem to get it any lighter. I'm wondering if Tucker can tell me what grit he ended up using.

Thank you