Wear on Magazine Tube

Frenchie

Shot 75 shells through my m2 this past weekend. The gun was great. Cleaned it when I got home and noticed that the black finish on the top of the magazine tube had some wear where the barrel comes in contact. There was no significant wear that could be felt, but the powder coat was removed slightly. Also, there was a small spot on the under side of the barrel. I hope this is normal, it's probaby just being picky. Has anyone else seen this wear. I know the barrel has to move when firing. Please advise.....

Originally posted by garren:

quote:
Originally posted by Frenchie:

I know the barrel has to move when firing. Please advise.....

What do you mean by "has to move"? Please explain. I don't think it's normal. Well, maybe it's not normal. I assume there is some thermal expansion of the barrel. When I got the gun new and cleaned it, the wear was not on the top of the magazine tube. After shooting it, there was wear on the magazine tube. Asked a friend and he said he saw the same thing on his SBE II, but I haven't looked at his gun yet. Has anyone else seen this wear. The black powder coat on the magazine tube is worn away by contact from the barrel. The cap was screwed all the way down, and the forearm was tight, with no movement. Just wondered if anyone else saw this or if it was anything to be concerned about.

If the wear you speak of is where I think it is, I have an answer, at least on an SBE. When you reassemble the gun and are sliding the magazine tube through the forearm (which is attached to the barrel at that point) the magazine tube can contact the inside of the forearm and specifically the steel rings that are at the front of the forearm. If the barrel and forearm are canted slightly in relation to the magazine tube, the tube will scrape across the steel rings and the aluminum tube gets scratched.

I found out by experience that if you try to reassemble the SBE without having removed the bolt handle, you will have to wiggle the two halves around to get them together. In the process of wiggling, the magazine tube will get scratched. If you remove the bolt handle at disassembly, as the manual says, you can usually reassemble the gun without scratching things up.

A gunsmith told me that it is faster to leave the bolt handle in place during disassembly, but what the jackass did not tell me is that you can scratch the gun up a lot easier when you have to wiggle everything around in the process. Always remove the bolt handle------my advice from bitter experience.

Originally posted by Remy:

If the wear you speak of is where I think it is, I have an answer, at least on an SBE. When you reassemble the gun and are sliding the magazine tube through the forearm (which is attached to the barrel at that point) the magazine tube can contact the inside of the forearm and specifically the steel rings that are at the front of the forearm. If the barrel and forearm are canted slightly in relation to the magazine tube, the tube will scrape across the steel rings and the aluminum tube gets scratched.

I found out by experience that if you try to reassemble the SBE without having removed the bolt handle, you will have to wiggle the two halves around to get them together. In the process of wiggling, the magazine tube will get scratched. If you remove the bolt handle at disassembly, as the manual says, you can usually reassemble the gun without scratching things up.

A gunsmith told me that it is faster to leave the bolt handle in place during disassembly, but what the jackass did not tell me is that you can scratch the gun up a lot easier when you have to wiggle everything around in the process. Always remove the bolt handle------my advice from bitter experience.

I think you're correct. The rubbing is happening when I put the barrel and forearm back on during reassembly. I noticed that there is some rubbing of the barrel to the magazine tube during this process. The bold handle doesn't come into play on the M2 like the SBE. I don't think anything is moving when shooting. I think the wear is coming from the re-assembly process. I'll have to be more carefull as I think that I am causing the wear when putting things back together after cleaning. I'm going to look at my buddy's SBE II to see if he has the same problem. Thanks for your response. I love this gun!!! I've never bought myself a top line gun, so I want to take care of it as best I can. When I spend $1000 on a shotgun, I plan to leave it to my son, so I want it to last as long as possible. I have learned that fine weapons such as this are an investment, so my parnoia to keep it perfect is a result of what I've learned about great guns from my father. I plan to have many good years out of my new Benneli!!!!