Questions from about so many things

shekaree

I have been hunting for few years with my Savage 110 30-06 bolt action rifle and dropped many deer.

Now I am moving to Canada for good and will try dropping some Elk and Moose too.

I have tons of store credit/points from Cabelas and I am thinking to get an semi auto rifle. I have couple of Benelli shot guns and I love them. I am thinking to get a semi auto rifle and also being thinking about Benelli R1 in 300 Win mag. What do you guys suggets me.... I am very open to buy any gun and a scope and I can spend $2000 for it.

Oh yeah, I am new to guns too...I don't know the meaings of "brake-in your barrel" and "muzzle break"? How it is done and how it helps?

Any kind of info will be a blessings for me

thanks

Read my post in this previous thread.

It covers many questions you'll have regarding the R1 and it addresses barrel break-in.

Muzzle brakes are ported tubes added to the end of a barrel and they can reduce recoil by 30%. They also help with muzzle climb.

GlennRoss has one on his R1 and loves it.

Keep in mind that the R1 is not going to be as accurate (or at least not as potentially accurate) as your Savage. Savage makes some of the most accurate out of the box rifles there are, and their bolt design and button rifling are top notch.

You can expect to get 1.5" or 2" groups from the R1. The trigger pull is horrendous, and if your Savage has the Accutrigger, you may want begin exercising your finger for the R1.

It's a semi-automatic hunting rifle, not a benchrest gun. A lot of people seem to have a hard time comprehending that fact.

If you need or want a semi-auto rifle, the R1 is tough to beat. The Comfortech models are probably better suited to the harsh climates of the frozen north than the walnut models. I have the walnut, and it's a beautiful gun, but I find myself yearning for the synthetic models more and more.

If you have the proper expectations going in, the R1 will please you. But if you're looking for something that will shoot and perform like the Savage, only auto-loading the next round, then you will be disappointed.

Tucker,

Thanks a lot for the nice info. I feel very comfortable with my Savage 30-06 because, when I take it to range before hunting season, I have to ask people at the range "how many bullets do you think passed this hole" I mean that the seconds and thirds bullets goes through the first hole... it is that accurate.

I will go for the R1 and try my luck there. I have a Leupold 3.5 x 10 x 40 on it. Do you think that I can use the same one foe R1 or should I get a better one for my R1 and keep the old one on my Savage?

Thanks

Kamran

If I get the R1, I am thinking to put my old VXIII 3.5 - 10 x 40 on it. I know once I get the benelli, I won't be shooting my Savage bolt action any more and the money saved by NOT buying new scope for R1 can be spend on good range finder as I am expecting to shoot longer distance with 300 win mag. I am driving to Cableas in WV on this saturday from North Carolina. It will be about 8 hours drive one way. Will update once I get back..

I called them and asked them the same thing. They said NC is ok and there are 6 states which are on the list and the residents of these 6 states cannot buy the firearm outside their state. NC is not one of them.

Hopefully, there won't be a problem..I will update you guys..

Originally posted by shekaree:

I called them and asked them the same thing. They said NC is ok and there are 6 states which are on the list and the residents of these 6 states cannot buy the firearm outside their state. NC is not one of them.

Hopefully, there won't be a problem..I will update you guys..

You'll probably have to have the firearm sale transferred to NC. I just purchased an R1 from cabela's and they had to transfer the purchase which if I remember correctly cost ~$50.

Hopefully, there won't be a problem..I will update you guys.. [/qb]You'll probably have to have the firearm sale transferred to NC. I just purchased an R1 from cabela's and they had to transfer the purchase which if I remember correctly cost ~$50. [/QB]

I bought one from Cabela's in South Dakota and did not have to transfer anything. I live in Florida.

• 2 weeks later...