O-rings

JLMilligan

First the question. How do I get new o-rings when they get cut? I am on my second R1 and these o-rings are cut already.

Now the story. I bought my first in Sept. '04. During the first cleaning I noticed one of the o-rings was cut. After further shooting, the other was cut too. I also noticed that the fore end was a different shade from one side to the other. The right side matched pretty good. On the left side the stock and fore end mismatched by quite a bit. Well I called CS and they said (in a polite way) I was on my own and it was up to the dealer to get o-rings. This was after the dealer said to call CS. Well, luckily I bought my R1 from LL Bean and since I had the old style cap they said I can have them keep it for awhile and they will deal with CS or just exchange it for a new one. I went for the exchange. Luckily, LL Bean has GREAT CS!! I also have a 12ga Nova and was going to purchase a 20ga M1 for the wife but because of the lack of CS the M1 is on hold. But I do love their guns!! (3000+ rds = 0 problems with the nova)

Well anyway, this is my first post so please be nice if I rambled too much.

Jared

The o-rings do not appear to be anything special, so you should be able to find replacements from any good hardware store.

Most true hardwares (not Wal-Mart or Home Depot)will have a large assortment of o-rings which can be purchased individually.

Most assortments even come with some sort of tool to aid in the finding of the proper size.

I'm more interested in why our R1 keeps cutting them.

This is something in which CS should also have been interested.

Do you have any indication of how they're being cut? Are they tearing when you remove them for cleaning, or are they being damaged while the rifle is operating.

Are you lubricating the o-rings after cleaning?

They are being cut from operating. Small slices come off around the outside diameter of the o-ring. I usually do not remove them for cleaning because I have damaged enough o-rings in my life to know that I shouldn't mess with them unless I have replacements. They are well lubed with the lube that was supplied with the gun. I can measure them with some calipers and buy some more but I thought I would try CS first.

Jared