Benelli R1 Comfortech in WSMs?

iowahunter4592

I was looking in gander mountain for a new rifle when I saw the r1. I fell in love with it. Its very comfortable fit for me. I was going to get it in .270 or .300 wsm but then the comfortech came out. It doesnt have the wsm's like when the r1 first came out. Thats where my question comes in. Does anyone know if or when the wsm's will come oit in the comfortech model? I was just thinkin maybe someone knew or was related to someone in benelli and could tell me. Also does anyone own an R1 in .270 WSM because I would like to know what it shoots like in the recoil department. You know like how benelli says their 300wm feels like a light .270 or something. Anyways if you could answer either of these questions that would be great and if you do thanks for the input. smile.gif

Iowahunter,

I am getting a 1" group at 100 yard with Hornady 180 gr bullets. There is no problem with the case ejection with the mounts (at least I didn't notice it) every case goes out fine.

The barrel locking cap was also not loose but the cap/screw that is mounted on the forearm (the last thing you tight on your gun) gets little loose after few shots and I just tight it right away.

Question for you Iowahunter!! Do you use same user name for some digital camera forum too?

[ 12-23-2005, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: shekaree ]

shekaree,

thanks for the reply, i appreciated it:) I am now dead set on buying an R1 Comfortech in .300wsm next year... i found that Benelli is going to expand the available calibers(that includes .270 and .300 wsm and maybe the other wsm's?) as early as 2006. must have been a coincidence with the camera forum thing. i dont even own a digital camera(except on my cell phone) smile.gif

Iowahunter,

I want to buy the same gun. That is, the R1 comfortech, in 300 WSM. Did you hear from a reliable source that Benelli is going to make this gun in 2006? If so, did they give you any idea when?? Browning makes pretty much the same gun now, and they make it in 300 WSM. My brother just bought that and loves it. I would prefer the Benelli if I can get it, in the comfortech stock. thanks

I'd buy a 325 WSM if they had one. See Winchester Press Release and American Rifleman article .

Though that caliber being new, I can predict high prices on the box...

EDIT: Contacted Benelli:

Dear Sir,

Currently at this point in time there are no plans for this caliber to be

introduced.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Dept.

BenelliUSA/Stoeger Industries

17603 Indian Head Highway

Accokeek, MD 20607

Customer Service Line: 301/283-6981

:(

[ 01-04-2006, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Chronos ]

Originally posted by Chronos:

I'd buy a 325 WSM if they had one. See Winchester Press Release and American Rifleman article .

Though that caliber being new, I can predict high prices on the box...

EDIT: Contacted Benelli:

Dear Sir,

Currently at this point in time there are no plans for this caliber to be

introduced.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Dept.

BenelliUSA/Stoeger Industries

17603 Indian Head Highway

Accokeek, MD 20607

Customer Service Line: 301/283-6981

:( [/Q

Not necessarily that caliber but on the benelli website somewhere it says new calibers for the R1 comfortech will be in development as soon as 2006. Could be later this year. i didnt mean that they would come out right at new years. It is also likely that they will come out with wsm because after a while they came out with those wsms for the original r1 also the 308. I dont know but they might come out in the same order as the original r1 with possibly afew more calibers.

Originally posted by Jim630:

Iowahunter,

I want to buy the same gun. That is, the R1 comfortech, in 300 WSM. Did you hear from a reliable source that Benelli is going to make this gun in 2006? If so, did they give you any idea when?? Browning makes pretty much the same gun now, and they make it in 300 WSM. My brother just bought that and loves it. I would prefer the Benelli if I can get it, in the comfortech stock. thanks

jim,

you can look at my reply to chronos/customer service for those answers. your very welcome and good luck to you next hunting season smile.gif

R1 Comfortech in WSM....

I am dissappointed to report that Benelli told me today that they are not planning to introduce any WSM calibers in the R1 Comfortech this year (2006). The woman I spoke with in Customer Service indicated that the 2006 line up is out, and that the 30.06 and 300 WM are the only planned calibers. She said maybe 2007. For a person wanting that gun, that is a long time to wait. Given that the conventional R1 is available in these calibers, I don't understand why the Comfortech is not available in the 300 WSM.

I can only hope she is wrong.

Originally posted by Jim630:

R1 Comfortech in WSM....

I am dissappointed to report that Benelli told me today that they are not planning to introduce any WSM calibers in the R1 Comfortech this year (2006). The woman I spoke with in Customer Service indicated that the 2006 line up is out, and that the 30.06 and 300 WM are the only planned calibers. She said maybe 2007. For a person wanting that gun, that is a long time to wait. Given that the conventional R1 is available in these calibers, I don't understand why the Comfortech is not available in the 300 WSM.

I can only hope she is wrong.

Seriously?!?!? Why do they get everyones hopes up when they put it on their own website that they were going to expand the calibers for the comfortech as early as 2006? Maybe Ill just settle for a Browning :( *hint benelli hint*

Im not that crazy. smile.gif I can probably wait for the .300 WSM to come out in the comfortech due to the fact that i wont be buying it with my own money. My moms boyfriend is getting a settlement and he said i could get that as a gift. He will get the money in 07 more than likely so waiting is not a problem for me. Normally I wouldnt ask some one for their settlement money to buy a gun but he is a nice guy. It might be a problem for you , Jim, but if you wouldnt mind the 300wm (like chronos said) it is a fine long range caliber and pretty much equal to 300wsm ballistics.

Originally posted by Chronos:

Jim, though it looks like 300 WSM will not be available in Comfortech anytime soon, there is nothing stopping you from getting a .300 Win Mag.

See this site if you're battling 300 WSM and .300 Win Mag : Short Mags: Magic Or Myth?.

Thanks Chronos. I appreciated the link. A very good article. My brother just bought a Browning 300 WSM. One of the reasons he choose the caliber over the 300 WM was that he was told the WSM had materially less recoil, for the effectively the same balistics. Do you have any in sight into whether that statement is true? I shot his WSM, but I have never shot a 300 WM. Thanks....

[ 01-07-2006, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Jim630 ]

Funny thing you ask, since I also wanted to know so my friends and I made a 300 caliber competition... read on.

I had the pleasure of shooting a Tikka T3 in both 300 WSM (friend 1) and 300 Win Mag (friend 2). To me, I saw no difference shooting both.

Both guys when shooting each other's rifle agree that the difference (in recoil) is probably more psychological than real. The power is the same.

On the target, similar results are obtained, and both guys are great shooters. In fact, the T3 is very accurate with Norma brand cartridges and you could not see the difference both calibers. (~1 MOA = 2 inch grouping at 200 yards)

We even tried a small competition:

Hit a 1 inch thick metal gong @ 300 meters (used for black powder shooting; we use it to try to penetrate it from a far smile.gif :

Gong%20atteind%201.JPG

If you look closer:

Gong%20atteind%203.JPG

Penetration is nearly the same, and they are very close together (yet it is 2 different shooters with 2 different calibers). We don't try groupings on it, since the range master would be p!ssed.

For laughs, look at the very bottom of the gong, you will see that my .270 did nothing at all to the gong.

So in the end, we all agree that it comes down to price per cartridge, and psychological recoil (after all, both were hurting after a box of ammo). See this link : Caliber Economics

Anthony (friend 1, 300 WSM) pays ~ 1.75 $cdn per quality cartridge while Jeff (friend 2, 300 WIN MAG) pays ~ 1.25 $cdn per quality cartridge.

You can be sure that when I get my Comfortech R1 (June/July), it will be 300 WIN MAG and we'll also redo the competition... this time with a semi-auto in it... We'll see how the Benelli R1 fares...

Hope this helps,

Chronos.

EDIT: The real question is, what bullet on the 300 WSM / 300 WIN MAG will pierce the gong at the same distance... armor piercing ? smile.gif

[ 01-07-2006, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Chronos ]

For comparison I looked up the ballistics for 165 grain, Remington Nosler Solid Base BT cartridges (Brand: Premium Vital Shok). Here is a summary of the stats:

Velocity-------------300 WM 300 WSM

Ft/sec @ 100 yds----2914-------2904

Ft/sec @ 300 yds----2496-------2486

Energy------------- 300 WM 300 WSM

Ft/lbs @ 100 yds----3112-------3090

Ft/lbs @ 300 yds----2282-------2263

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with someone in sale right before Christmas about the R1 Comfortech in the 300 WSM and he told me that they only had plans to sell it with the wood stock, but you could buy the Comfortech in 30.06 or 300mag and then buy a extra barrel in the WSM calibers,, maybe a little much, but you could always sell the 2nd barrel,, WSM barrels were suppose to be out first of 2006,, Has anybody seen a price or anybody selling the WSM barrels yet ??

Originally posted by YMSCOMM:

I spoke with someone in sale right before Christmas about the R1 Comfortech in the 300 WSM and he told me that they only had plans to sell it with the wood stock, but you could buy the Comfortech in 30.06 or 300mag and then buy a extra barrel in the WSM calibers,, maybe a little much, but you could always sell the 2nd barrel,, WSM barrels were suppose to be out first of 2006,, Has anybody seen a price or anybody selling the WSM barrels yet ??

Here is a different idea trying to accomplish the same thing. Can you buy a R1 in wood stock, in 300 WSM, and then buy a comfortech stock and simply swap stocks? Is there more to a Comfortech gun than just the stock? If there isn't, why can't you simply swap stocks?? If the stocks can be swapped, then it comes down to how much the Comfortech stocks cost. Any ideas??

[ 01-21-2006, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Jim630 ]