Can R1 safety be converted to left???how?

smong2000

My local dealer is holding a Comfort R1 for me so I resolve whether it can be converted to left hand operable safety. Benelli said it would void warranty in an email but I saw here that one of the mods said they would do it. Seems a shame to exclude 20% of the population as potential customers. Anyone have experience doing it? Any mods give me an official position? Opinion? Thanks,

feel free to email me if that would be appropriate.

Yes.

I converted mine myself when I got the rifle.

Then, when I sent it to Maryland for some other work, Benelli checked it over and tweaked it for me. I didn't quite get the rubber detent back right and they fixed it for me at no charge.

It's not an easy operation and is best left to the pros.

Forget e-mail.

Call Benelli CS and ask them if they will still perform the service free of charge.

You'll have to pay shipping.

Originally posted by tucker301:

Yes.

I converted mine myself when I got the rifle.

Then, when I sent it to Maryland for some other work, Benelli checked it over and tweaked it for me. I didn't quite get the rubber detent back right and they fixed it for me at no charge.

It's not an easy operation and is best left to the pros.

Forget e-mail.

Call Benelli CS and ask them if they will still perform the service free of charge.

You'll have to pay shipping.

CS is the exact opposite of pretty bad, at least in my own experiences anyway.

My R1 had a cracked stock and it was sent in for repairs. While they had it, I asked them to look at the safety, which I had converted to LH.

I had it working correctly, but there was a rubber detent that I had botched and subsequently removed. Its purpose, as far as I could tell, was to silence the "snap" of the safety.

They fixed the safety and replaced the stock.

I have had a couple of other dealings with them and they have always been top notch in dealing with me.

As for the R1, I'm still debating whether or not to keep it or to sell it and try one of the new Brownings.

I like the Browning's hinged magazine floorplate and a few other features.

The R1 is a breeze to clean and I have had good accuracy and no hang-ups with it.

Perhaps I should leave well enough alone and keep the R1 :cool:

The CS phone number is one this site at the top of the main page in red.

Quoting, "THE FORUMS ARE NOT A CONDUIT TO CUSTOMER SERVICE. ALL CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO CUSTOMER SERVICE VIA PHONE OR EMAIL (301-283-6981). DO NOT POST CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTIONS IN THE FORUMS."

Thanks again, glad to hear that CS is good from an owners perspective. My skepticism was because of all the different answers they(CS) have given me to this question. I just called and the rep said to just get an RA and they'll do it for me or my dealer but they didn't think I could just send in the trigger group. That's a different story than the regional rep told my dealer and the CS email told me (they said it was not possible and would void the warranty) - but I like that answer better!

OK, here's the official position from CS8 via another phone conversation - this time it was my dealer calling to get the RA (as the other CS told me to do over the phone) so my rifle could be converted.

BENELLI SAYS NO - R1 SAFETY CANNOT BE CONVERTED TO LEFTY OR WARRANTY IS VOIDED!

So we're on our own. If someone is willing to help me out on this with instructions or hints I would really appreciate the info and promise not to hold them liable.

I wish now that I hadn't committed to buy it.