COMFORTECH VRS. WOOD STOCK / NOT WHAT YOU THINK

Shepherd

Hello all. I have a question. Do you think the comfortech guns have better accuracy than the original R1's... Reason I ask is it seems everyone with accuracy problems were shooting the wood stocked R1's.... I have only heard about good MOA's / Sub MOA's with the comfort tech stock....

Please feel free to post. Be blessed.

I bought an R1 30.06 last year with a wooden stock. I don't believe that the stock has anything to do with my disappointment with the accuracy. In my opinion, it's the trigger. The creep and the pull weight, (I believe Tucker described it as a brick to a brick in a half) is the root of most of my heartache. While I was in the US Army I served as the armorer for my company for a while. I was responsible for all of our weapons so I was able, (following Tucker's post), to improve the trigger pull weight, but I am still not totally happy with it. I actually plan on trading it in this week.

My thought would be fundamentally ... anything that reduces felt recoil is a benefit to good shooting form, so on that basis alone I'd chose the Comfortech model. To some degree you MIGHT also have an advantage because the plastic stock is not "moving around" with changes in heat and humidity. Although I'm not sure how MUCH of an effect that will have on a firearm using a two piece stock.

I blamed myself for the first 40 rounds or so, and then I picked up my old trusty Remington and grouped well. My father-in-law, a former member of the US Rifle team, couldn't get it to group any better.

Like I said, in the Army, I literally got to shoot and take care of every gun in the arms room. That's not to say I don't pull occasionally, but I have shot some.

Yup, I usually blame myself first and then work hard to work through the problems. I am very meticulous and really wanted this to work out.

I had/have the same problem with my Browning BAR Safari MKII BOSS in .300 WinMag. Really love the gun, but went through heartaches trying to get it to group nicely. Really wanted it to work, but was never really satisfied. Figured it might be me until I took out my old 22-250 Remington 700 Varmintmaster and could still shoot dimes. Disappointing.

Originally posted by Butch-M:

Figured it might be me until I took out my old 22-250 Remington 700 Varmintmaster and could still shoot dimes. Disappointing.

Butch,

I KNOW you're smarter than that :eek:

The 700 was built for accuracy from head to toe.

The BAR is built to shoot pretty good five times quickly.

Well, Tuck ... I had one of those "too good to be true" rationalizations that the new and magical BOSS system was going to give me 1" groups out of a soft shooting .300 autoloader. smile.gif The whole gas operated automatic bent was to reduce recoil in my chosen caliber, not to increase firepower.

Unfortunately there were no forums like this back when I made the purchase to find out from users how the system REALLY performed. :( I was making my decision mostly off the advertising literature and a few gun magazine articles. On paper the thing makes sense ... I mean written paper, not target paper. :D

Alas ... the BOSS was more of a nightmare than a dream. :mad: They don't mention that it's deafeningly loud ... and infinitely "adjustable." is not necessarily a GOOD thing! There may well still be a MOA bullet/BOSS setting in the gun somewhere, but since the micrometer type muzzlebrake has ten numbers, each with ten subsettings ... you can imagine the shear number of shots required to find it. The gun’s probably about the same as the R1 ... but I frankly don’t feel like a confident “marksman” when I’m toting it through the woods. I always did with my bolt action .300. (Which I’m considering to take out of moth balls) LOL

“If it sounds too good to be true ... it probably IS too good to be true!!!” smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

[ 03-07-2006, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Butch-M ]

Yup. Marketing and gimmics have disappointed many a hunter/shooter over the years.

EVERY BOSS I've ever seen was excrutiatingly loud and did nothing for accuracy.

I think smart load development through reloading is the best approach to repeatable accuracy.

That, and practice - Lots of practice.

I'd rather have total confidence in a single shot than hope in five or more.

Don't forget the limbsaver recoil resonator thing... It is a little gadget made by limbsaver that acts like a dampering agent on the barrel of any gun. Many folks swear by it... Plus it isn't loud and expersive... I got one but haven't tried it yet...