Decided to Sell

Steveieboy

Well, I've decided to sell my R1 30-06 comfortech gun. For what I want, I am afraid this won't be the gun for the job. If anyone is interested, give me a call or email. The gun is 100% new. Never loaded or fired, hard case and paper work etc. come with it. Am selling for the first $1050 that comes. Free shipping too.

Steve

[email protected]

(or)

[email protected]

318-655-1144

haah.. Talk to him... I guess I never learned the language. hahah... I may just do that.. The thing is i am in need of about 350 yards... I'm kind of new to shooting and am wondering if a 30-06 is good at this range as well as the gun. I can hit fairly decent so at 300 + yrds. I do pretty well, just wondering if the gun and caliber are up to it? What do you think garren? Been awefully tempted to go with the browning just to make sure....

I can't understand why so many people are suddenly looking at semi-automatics as medium to long range hunting rifles.

This goes against every bit of conventional wisdom and time-tested convention there is.

Inherintly, the BAR/R1 design is NOT one for sub MOA accuracy.

If I were in the market for a 300 yd and up big game rifle, I would not consider either the R1 or the BAR.

A good bolt gun is the only sure thing for those kinds of distances.

Even then, it's going to require more effort than simply buying a rifle off the shelf and a box or two of ammo.

As for the caliber, I'd look at the 300 WSM or any one of a number of wildcat loads like perhaps the .284 WRP.

The basic equipment is a good place to start, but is by no means then end of the journey.

There's a lot of research, tweaking, and PRACTICE that goes into developing a long range hunter that will deliver a quick and effective kill at these ranges.

Here's a 30 (that's THIRTY) shot group at 300 yards shot by someone who has done his homework and has laboriously worked to develop a rifle/load combination in which he has absolute confidence.

Not disrespecting anyone's efforts here with their R1's, but I believe this level of consistency is unattainable by a pencil barreled semi-automatic with a brick and a half of trigger pull.

2506AI30rounds.jpg

[ 03-03-2006, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Tucker,

What do you think the R1, 300 WSM, is capable of shooting at 300 yards? Certainly the gun is good at 100 yards and plenty past that. I am trying to understand the gun's limits. Whitetail in Wisconsin is my primary use, but the possibility of Elk out west is also something I would want the gun to do. I know the caliber is more than enough for whitetail, but I am hoping to get the bigger game option in one gun. I would like to think that 250-300 yards was within the guns reach, with practice on my part. 300 and beyond is not what I would ever try to do so I am not looking for that.

thanks

I'd be quite impressed to see an R1 deliver 10 rounds into a 12" circle at 300 yards.

What is the basis of the need for a quick second and third follow up shot in Wisconsin?

Are you hunting deer that are being driven by other hunters and are therefore on the move?

If so, then the R1 or similar is a wise enough selection.

If, however you anticipate most of your shots to be at relaxed game that's either walking or standing, then the need for a semi-auto would be unlikely.

And since you are more concerned with long range accuracy, then a bolt gun should be where you're focusing your energies.

I deer hunt in VA, in counties where it is legal to chase deer with hounds. Typically, when I get a shot, the deer seems to be in a bit of a hurry to get somewhere, so a semi-auto is preferred.

Plus, the daily bag limit is two per day, so there's always the hope for a nice double.

However, when I do hunt a stand over a bean field or in open old growth, I take a bolt gun for its ability to place one precise shot exactly where I want it to be and drop them in their tracks.

Shooting game at 300 yards with an R1 is not impossible, but it is impractical.

You have to overcome and work through more obstacles to accuracy than you would if you'd started with a good bolt gun to begin with.

Heavy trigger pull works against consistency.

Narrow forearm makes canting and a steay rest difficult.

Thin barrell is more subject to harmonic variations from shot to shot.

Barrel contact beyond the receiver can be very detremental to accuracy.

These are all issues that bolt guns with middle to heavy weight barrells addressed years ago.

So, you've gotten and R1 and you've worked through all of the issues.

Congratulations!

You've arrived at square one.

thanks Tucker. I appreciate your opinion. One follow up, do you think the R1 is any more or less accurate at these longer distances than a Browning BAR? I am presuming not, but wanted to hear your thoughts. Incidentally, we are involved in deer drives and while I see deer browsing, I also see deer in a bit of a hurry.

thanks again.

I think the R1 and BAR have equal chances of being accurate rifles. I've never been impressed by the BOSS system, and everyone I know who has one wishes they didn't.

Having owned both, I will say that the Benelli points better and its styling is impeccable, but the BAR may have an edge on reliability, and it certainly has the edge on the availability of parts and caliber offerings.