Anyone purchased the 300wsm or 270wsm

Deerslayer

The 300 WSM in Comfortech is $1199 in Madison WI. I am thinking about buying it, but haven't yet. I can also say that the 300 WSM appears to have a better trigger than earlier versions. I could tell that it was smoother, and I had the gunsmith measure the pull. It came in at 4.5 lbs, and he thought he could get it down to 3.5-4.0 for about $50. Tucker301 indicated that earlier models were in the 7-8 lb range.

[ 03-29-2006, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Jim630 ]

Jim

Thanks for the reply. Let me know if you buy one of these two guns. i would like to get some feedback on how well they shoot (have seen Tuckers groupings- impressed) and the claims that the Comfortech has a "quick recovery" and for the 300wsm that it "shoots like a light 270" etc.. I am interested in buying a 300wsm but would like to get some solid feedback before I rush out and get one. Thanks for your time

I too am interested in the 300 WSM. I called Benelli, and spoke with a product manager with your same questions. He said that I could expect groups of 1.5" at 100 yards, and 4" at 300 yards. That was all qualified by wind, shooter capability, and bullet type. They recommended a particular Federal and Winchester shell. The person I spoke to was not a front line operator. This person said he had shot the gun himself and was confident that baring any shortcomings in my ability to shoot, the gun should deliver these types of results. By contrast to a good bolt these aren't great, but they seem reasonable for a auto. And yes, Tucker's groups are pretty impressive. It would appear that the gun in the hands of a very good shooter can beat the numbers Benelli quoted.

I can also say the gun feels very good on your shoulder. It fits me really well. Really well. I also spoke to a gunsmith about the gun. He told me he thought the gun was well made, and the comments weren't biased by him thinking that telling me this would result in my buying the gun.

I have been snooping around regarding this gun for about 3 months now.

How is life in New Orleans? I hope improving

[ 03-29-2006, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Jim630 ]

Well, I tried to get the maximum benefit from today’s sunny day and went to the range to test some new loads. This time, I added Winchester Silvertip to my primary choice of ammo (Hornady). Can’t say that it was the best result I managed to get from my R1, but I think it was considerably accurate at 100 yard distance for an autoloader. Next week I’ll compare these two with the Federal ammos and then finally will adjust my scope.

target.jpg

Another thing - usually while sighting, I’m cleaning the rifle after 10~20 shots, but today I decided to push it a little bit harder to see how it will act without my help. In two hours, I put 60 rounds through it without any jamming and cycling problems.

Garren,

I would be interested in seeing how the Federal compares. When I called Benelli, the brand the recommended was Federal. The Hornady was clearly better than the Winchester in your outing. It will be interesting to see how the Federal compares.

Jim

Jim, I wish you are right about Hornady. I got 20 boxes of it smile.gif . But I’m not so sure about outing yet. Do not exclude possibility of luck. I’ll post the Federals results when I’m ready, but as I always said – one doesn’t have to rely on somebody’s ammunition choices and results. You need to find the right/preferable ammos for your rifle by yourself. You were impressed with Tucker’s grouping, but he, as I remember, uses Remington ammos and mine, on the contrary, doesn’t like Rem. ammunition at all. So, I don’t think that anybody, even Benelli can recommend the right load for a particular rifle. Again, you have to do some tests yourself. It’s time consuming, some time disappointing, but finally your efforts will be rewarded.

Thanks to all for the responses. Life in New Orleans is getting better, but we still have a long way to go. Also, please don't forget tht this storm affected Mississippi and Alabama as well. I mostly hear about New Orleans in the news down here but those states need to be remembered as well. I appreciate your responses, I won't get a chance to buy one of these guns until June/July, that is when it looks like we will get our shipments in. I will keep watching all of your reponses and would appreciate any advice and or positive/negative comments on these guns as you use them. This will be my first automatic and am looking forward to shooting one.

Thanks

I met a Benelli rep at the Madison Deer and Turkey show this weekend. He explained why the WSM calibers were so slow to come out (apparently whomever makes their barrels, made 1500 of them 4" shorter than they wanted). We also took the R1 down, and talked about its accuracy. Take it for what it is worth, given that he reps the gun, but he said that groups of 1" at 100 yards should happen, and that would ramp up to 7-8" out at 400 yards. He indicated that he has been shooting the gun at these distances. This of would of course depend upon all of the variables (shooter, wind, etc). My impression was that this guy was a straight talker...but he was a sales rep.

I also had my 2nd look at a 300 WSM and its trigger. Similar to what I saw a week or two ago, this was a 4-5 lb trigger that while not great, wasn't bad either. Benelli does appears to have improved the trigger on these newer guns.

Lastly we talked about break in. He said I should shoot one round, then clean the barrel. Do that five times (shoot once then clean). Then shoot 3 rounds and clean. Do that 5 times. That will be 20 rounds and result in the gun being cleaned 10 times during those first 20 rounds.

[ 04-03-2006, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Jim630 ]

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question. I know in theory it would be nice if every bullet hit a single hole @ 300 yards, but help me get this straight...

If I shoot a mule deer or whitetail at 300 yards, is the first bullet going to drift or is it subsequent bullets that may drift....

If one is a good enough shot, what is the bid deal? I know for competition shooting it would be a bid deal, but for hunting, I don't see the problem unless we are talking about the first shot, possibly the second...

There are two good points to this question.

The first round through a cleaned, oiled barrel will typically impact the target considerably differently than would a round from a fouled (having several shots through it) barrel.

If you're going to clean and lube the weapon, it's best to fire a round of two to foul the barrel, before shooting game.

The second point deals with variances in temperature, humidity, and even elevation.

Sighting in at 70 degrees, with 50% humidity, and at 400 ft. elevation, and then hunting at 20 degrees, 20% humidity and 7,000 ft is going to produce great variance in the point of impact.

Best practice, fire several rounds at or near hunting hunting conditions to make sure the point of impact is where it should be, and to foul the barrel.

As far as the "big deal" goes, the more consitent the equipment can be, then less it can be affected by shooter inconsistency and varying conditions.

If a rifle shoots 1 MOA under ideal conditions, then it will shoot better under adverse conditions.

I am still confused about the first shot. YOu said having a well oiled barrel will cause an impact point to be different than subsequent shots. Does that mean an impact point closer to the desired target or a negative impact point?

I am getting the impression I should leave my barrel a little dirty so it will be more consitant??? That doesn't sound right????

The light film of oil that most people leave in their barrels after cleaning can cause the point of impact to shift.

If you do not have the opportunity to fire a couple of foulers on your hunting trip, then at least run several dry patches through the bore before going out.

If you're hunting every day for several days, then it's not necessary to clean the bore each evening.

The exception would be if it is exposed to water or dirt.

Most rifles shoot more consistently after having a few rounds through them.

Yes, I have one.

I got my best groups with Remington Accu-tip 150 grain, but others have had better results with other loads.

Each gun is unique and different.

Yes, mine groups pretty well with the Remingtons.

-

-

397201.jpg

However, I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to accuracy, so I'm selling my R1 and am going to try something else.

Time will tell if it's a step in the right direction or not.

$1,000 plus shipping to your FFL

$1,250 with the Leupold.

-

-

397194.JPG