What have U shot with your R-1

stid2677

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Parachute, I would like to take the time to thanks you for your service during Vietnam. I'm a veteran as well, having done my time in Iraq. So thanks to all the vets out there. I too would like to see some other R-1 owners post what they have bagged as well. Here is a photo of me and Oliver North taken during a operations order brief for a mission to get Saddam's sons.

meandolly.jpg

Steve

Steve, thank you for your service in Iraq. It's pretty cool that you had your picture taken with Ollie, he's a great guy and a great American. I support our troops and the mission. Have you noticed that the surge is working, but the only news you'll hear about it is Fox. Being a Vietnam vet, I know how it is to be treated badly. When I was in Nam, it was discouraging to see what went on at home, then when you get home, people treat you like the enemy.

I have a picture of me and Maj. General Melvin Zias when he was putting some medals on me.

Well this thread is good, I just wish that more R-1 owners would post their pictures.

Al

Well I guess you and I will have to go after a couple new photo opportunities. My next hunt will be either some winter predator calling. then a spring bear hunt down in PWS. The wife and I are going to try for another Dahl sheep this next year. Hope my body holds up. Good Luck and Thanks again.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After 20 plus years in the Army, I retired and now let the wife bring home the bacon. She lets me use my pension to get out enjoy Alaska. So as long as my health holds I will keep chasing these critters with my R-1. Have my R-1 taken apart right now. Having the barrel teflon coated. New set of warne rings and I'm going to try an EZ pull trigger device. I had my trigger polished, but I like a lite trigger. Will post some pics when I get it back together.

P6260007.jpg

Steve

• 1 month later...

Got my R-1 barrel coated with BLACKICE and replaced my scope mounts with a pair of Warne Rings. Decided to try the EZ pull trigger assist to get my trigger down to a better level. Went to the range today and resighted my scope. Like the EZ trigger after I got used to it, seems that I got better groups. Worth a try, cheaper than a trip to a smith. Happy Shooting.

IMGP0197.jpg

IMGP0189-1.jpg

Steve

• 1 month later...

It warmed up here today so I decided to head to the range to try some hand loads. I loaded these using RCBS small base dies. I got the best groups with 69 grains of IMR 4831 with the Barnes 180 grain TSX BT. I did have some promising groups with a Nosler 180 grain Spt Bt Ballistic Tip with 73.5 grains of ReLoader22. I Might try the ReLoader22 with the TSXs next.

IMGP0370.jpg

IMGP0371.jpg

Fired over 40 rounds of hand loaded ammo without a single malfunction, the EZ trigger is helping as well.

Steve

Hey Al,

All these were done at 100 yards. Will move out to 200 once I'm happy with a load. Then on to the long range dial in. After I shot I come back and cleaned my R-1 as always, then I looked down the barrel with my new borescope to see how my cleaning went. WOW, it looked like a copper mine in there. I spent 2 more hours getting all the copper fouling out of the barrel. That borescope will tell if you are cleaning good enough or not. Glad I bought it, it sure will help me check new guns as well as keep my barrels nice and clean.

Steve