What have U shot with your R-1

stid2677

I installed one of these to try to lower my trigger pull. I got around to putting the trigger scale on it. I had my trigger polished by a gunsmith and got it down to 5 lbs. Not bad but I like my triggers around 3 lbs. I saw this EZ trigger and thought that I would give it a try. It brought my trigger pull down to right at 1 lb. It uses simple leverage and does not make your trigger unsafe. I nice little gadget for a rifle like the R-1 that has a trigger that can only be lowered a small amount and still be safe.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice... I posted a new thread about the accuracy of the R1 in th .300 Win Mag. Obviously, you are not having any problems. I have read that the triggers are very stiff and factory loads are not grouping as tight as some may hope. I know we are dealing with a light (weight) automatic riffle not a bolt gun, but do you feel that you are sacrificing anything?

Do I feel like I'm sacrificing anything? Well, maybe my R-1 is a good shooter for an automatic. I get right at

1 MOA. For a belted magnum the recoil of my R-1 is worth the trade off. I hunt with this rifle and it is plenty accurate for what I do with it. I don't like that it fouls so much at the gas port/piston area and that darn screw that holds the fore grip is a beast to keep tight and the last thing is the trigger. The trigger is okay for a hunting rifle but I prefer a lower pull. I leave for my spring bear hunt in a couple weeks and I will have my R-1 in hand again this year. The four things I love about it. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM and BOOM, "Grin" :-)

Happy Hunting

Steve

Steve-

Thanks so much and good luck (not that you need it). If you do not mind, I have several more questions. Are you hunting with the EZ trigger? do you use factory loads? and do you know if they have made any improvements with th R1 (trigger, loose screws, fouling) since you bought yours?

Oh - one more thing... for someone who has some trigger time on an AR-15, is there a smooth brain to response mode when the adrenlin is kicking with the R1? Also, thank you for your government work.

I will be at the NRA convention in a few weeks and I want to decide at the show which rifle I am going to buy.

I don't hunt with the EZ trigger, everything I have taken with this rifle was killed with factory Federal Premium with 180 grain Barnes TSX BT. This rifle comes to the eye very nice. With mine it is shoot, breath and reaquire the target and fire again. I have stood shoulder to shoulder and fired at bears with my hunting partners, I can fire 2 rounds to their one. On my brown bear I shot it it in the shoulder, it spun and ran. My partner, by my side fired and missed. I fired again and hit it in the rear end as it ran. My friend was never able to chamber another 338 round until the bear was out of site. As we got near the bear it tried to attack. Again I fired twice to his once and I was ready with the third round but it was over. I have not heard about any new issues. I served in the Army for over 20 years and trained and saw hundreds of people fire. IMHO most rifles including the R-1 will out shoot the people trying to fire them. I only started hand loading for mine this winter. More because ammo is getting hard to find up here in 300 WM. Factory ammo these days is hard to beat if you can find the combo you want to shoot. I have a friend that just bought a R-1 in 300 WSM. Will get a range report from him as soon as he gives it a test drive.

Good Luck and Happy Spending

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the wife are and I are out trying to get her a black bear and I'm trying to get some more trigger time in with my R-1 on back-up. No luck yet as we are having a late spring and the bear are just starting to move. I did get my Brownie back for the taxi. Here he is 7.5 male with frosted tips.

IMGP2476.jpg

IMGP2473.jpg

Cje61, let me now what you think about that lifeliner.

Steve

Well maybe you are the only successful one? In Ohio it is mostly archery. I have an Elk hunt scheduled in Oct. that I will be using the R1. I tested the trigger of my new R1 and it is slighty over 5 lbs. Not bad for right out of the box (for the R1?). I just got in a case of ammo and my scope should be here today or tomorrow. I'll let you know about the LifeLiner.

• 2 weeks later...

Still had the inch to hunt the Blacks so headed up the mighty Yukon river to do some bear baiting with a couple buddies. We scored on this mating pair. An old sow and a younger male. I took the male because of his black face but my R-1 helped made sure that their moose eating days were over. We had been hunting from an elevated stand but after 3 hours we were both freezing, we had been dropped off by boat and we were there for the night. We decided to climb down and build a fire. After warming up for an hour, my buddy J says that he is going to check the bait. He returns excited and says that there was a bear on the bait. It was my turn to shoot so we sneak up to have a look. We spot the big sow and she starts to move off. I fire and drop her on the spot and my buddy anchors her with his .308. He then spots the male and we both fire at him and we score a double. We drag them over to the river and skin them both while we wait for our ride. We head back for home as soon as the boat arrives. Two bears in less than 18 hours and no sleep after 36. I was worn out and bug bitten by the time we got them checked in and got home. Time to clean the R-1 and get ready for Caribou and Grizzly season. Spring bear is about over and the hides are stating to get thin. Both these bears had great coats and will make nice rugs. Happy Hunting All

IMGP2811.jpg

Steve

This is the wifes 1st Black bear. Got her to within 30 yards. Setup her shooting sticks and she put a smack down on him with her 270 WSM. I fired an anchoring shot but she had hit him behind the front leg and broke his away leg. His sow ran up a nearby tree and for a minute she thought she had killed a sow, but I knew from the size that he was a big male. 6 ft 3 inches with a 19 inch skull. A real nice bear. She will be having him made into a rug.

IMGP2493-1.jpg

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

check out http://www.natchezss.com they have some steals on scopes. i had a leopold on my 7mm, and noticed it wasnt as clear as it was 15 years ago. i saw a 6x24x50 simmons on natchez for $65.00. im not much on a cheap scope but thought what the hey. im not disappointed at all, its deadly accurate, and clearer than true life. ive ordered another for my wifes 243. check out http://www.sportsmansguide.com as well................nice bears by the way folks...poor ol yogi, he wont be swipin any more pic-a-nic baskets

I have hunted moose in Maine for several years now and have seen some fantastic 50-55 inch spreads and I have to say that is one awesome moose. I have just about given up with our lottery here in Maine, 18 years with out getting picked starts to dampen the hopes. With any luck, maybe next year...!