What have U shot with your R-1

stid2677

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dream hunt is a horse back pack in elk hunt into the high country. When I get back to the lower 48, my back is not getting any better and I want to do it while I'm still able. I love hunts that call animals in, thats why I love moose hunting and calling bears as well. Making a big bull hunt you down gets the old heart thumping.

Steve

Stid,

I don't hunt, but because I just have time. Excellent pics. You truly enjoy your time on earth.

More people should use their lives instead of being used by their lives.

Thank you for your sevice to OUR country. My greates regret to this day (I'm 42) is that I never entered service.

It is constanly on my mind.

ERDept, Thanks for your kind words. The Army was good to me. I was a poor kid, raised by a single Mom, never enough money. Had no one to take me hunting, lived in Florida kinda near West Palm Beach. All there was to hunt were Rabbits in the cane fields near my house. My 20 plus years in the Army were hard on both my body and my family, however I saved and invested enough to allow me to do a few thing now. I always wanted to hunt as a kid and never really got the chance, guess I'm making up for it now. If you know a kid that don't have anyone to take them out into the field, step up and share your time, you will be glad you did. I take as many as I can and enjoy their hunts as much as mine now.

Happy Hunting

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The wife and I just got back form 10 days chasing Caribou across the North Slope of Alaska. Had the trip of a life time. We had 6 in our party, the wife and I and my buddy and his wife and also his father and brother. They were after Sheep and bear and Caribou and the wife and I wanted a shot at Caribou and bear. We flew our rafts and gear form Dead Horse into the Brooks Range to begin our float hunt adventure.

IMGP3229.jpg

Got dropped off and started blowing up the rafts getting ready to float to our camp.

IMGP3232.jpg

The float to our camp was hair raising to say the least, one of the other rafts got a hole put in it.

IMGP3237.jpg

Got setup at camp and stated hunting the next day. The wife and I glassed from a high knob and the others set off for sheep. Not long after they left we heard shots and knew they had connected. We had 19 pass by us and let them walk as we had both taken larger caribou already.

IMGP0121.jpg

I never look at the R1 forums, so this is the first I've seen of this thread ... but wow, incredibly inspiring stuff. I wish I had a place in an area like this and had the time and money to do stuff like this ... as do many other people I'm sure.

Keep on doing what you clearly love, you've earned it.

The 3rd day found as taking care of meat and capes and glassing for more bulls. That evening we were sitting around the fire when we spotted 3 nice bulls. We jumped in the raft and crossed the river and the chase was on. The Caribou go up a saddle and we race to the top only to see them at over 400 yards, I check the yardage to the largest bull 425 yards, I take a steady rock rest and fire my first shot from the prone. I was able to stay in the scope and see that my shot had fallen low and bloke his away front leg, he rears and starts to spin and I adjust my aim using my B&C reticle and fire for effect hitting him 3 times though the ribs. He was still on his feet and I reload and missed the next shot and broke his back with the next. The others had caught up and watched as I finished him off, The other 2 bulls just stood there at over 400 yards, too far for the wife. Rod and Flor moved to close the distance and Rich and I approached my bull. Rod glassed the other 2 and decided they had both taken larger bulls and let them pass and walked to help us with mine. We dressed him out and headed back to camp before dark.

IMGP0130.jpg

The next day my bull and the ones from the second day.

IMGP0194.jpg

While the others were gone we heard shots and knew they connected.

Now there's the mark of an experienced hunter if ever there was one.

I know a couple of guys who can tell you that the shot hit the animal and they can even tell you if it hit muscle and bone or soft tissue.

No other sound like it in the world :cool:

The next morning I skinned the head and 2 front feet and rested my sore back and feet. We planned on hunting the gut pile that evening. The evening finds Flor and I sitting high on a knob and over watching the kill site of my bull. The weather is wonderful and I take a nap in the sun. The next thing I know Flor wakes me up and says there are sheep. I say where expecting them to be mile away and see says right there. I look and they are at less than a thousand yards and closing. We are out in the open and wait for them to feed out of view. The terrain is to our favor but the wind is not. We move on them and get to within 723 yards. I did not have my spotting scope but one looked to be full curled and broomed. They gave us the slip going around us as we tried to go around them. Never thought Flor and I would get so close we both were happy just to have been sheep hunting together and both said so.

IMGP0168.jpg

IMGP0181.jpg

When we return to camp we discovered that we had flushed the sheep into another drainage and the others were on them. The next day Flor and I glassed and got ready to leave. She had to be back to work and I was concerned about the falling water. We said our farewells and headed down river, our plan was to head to the next valley and try there for a day. When we got there, the camp had been used for several days and 2 guys were there and packed and getting ready to float. They gave a grim report and we decided to float on. This part of the river was fast with lots of shale and brush. We started to gets to the braids and the dreaded 50/50. The 50/50 is where half the water flows one way and half the other way. We saw 3 other groups as we left the mountains and entered one of the several braided sections of the river. We were checked by a state trooper in a cub and he told us the water was dropping, he was right. We were told river right then river left, I must have taken one too many rights because we found our raft without water. This is where the raft started to be powered by prayer and will power. The more I dragged the more Flor prayed. We both dragged as far we could then dragged some more. It had been a long day but nether one of us wanted to get up to a drag in the morning. We finally got to some deeper water and shelter from the wind that blew up river the entire trip. After a day of dragging we were done hunting we just wanted to see the truck, we had come over 20 straight line miles. We got up early to beat the wind only to find the fog down to the ground. We had to wait until about 11:00 am to get started. Not long on the river we met up with the floaters we had met earlier. They were kind enough to share the grid to the last braid before the take out.

IMGP0239.jpg

The second day of floating was pleasant we had clear skies and deep water and saw our first boat, we chatted a while and floated on, we took time to fish and both caught a few. After about 8 hours of floating and rowing my back and arms were done and we wanted to find a campsite, we rounded a bend and saw our first boat drop camp. We ask if we could share their spot and they said yes. They were great folks from Nevada and we might do one of their mountain lion hunts. They had taken 3 nice bulls but said they had to leave early because of the falling water. We set up camp and enjoyed some really good fishing landing numerous fish.

IMGP0272-1.jpg

IMGP0267.jpg

We again awoke early to make it on the river before the headwind started but we were again fogged in. I fished and made the most of it sharing coffee and stories with our new friends. The fog lifted about noon and we were off for our last day on the river. The water was deep and last and we kept to the left. We made the braid check point and soon faced a major choice. I knew that if I picked the wrong branch that we would have to carry our load to the road farther down river and have to walk to the truck. We got to the grid the floaters gave me and we saw a minor stream with orange flagging tape, with little water flowing into it. I would have taken the right hand stream if not for the tape. As soon as I got into the channel we had little to no water and very little flow. I could see were boats had dragged on racks and knew we were in a boat lane. We had a 2 mile drag and row to the finish, I kept thinking a channel would come in form the right before we got there and boats we be using that lane. However, that was the right channel just with little water. We had finally made it 56 straight line miles.

We loaded up the truck and headed south. We saw 2 Musk Ox bulls fighting by the road and got some great photos. We drove back to Wiseman and tried to get a room but it was full, so we had to make the combat drive back home.

IMGP0303.jpg

IMGP0309.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...