What have U shot with your R-1

stid2677

Inspired by Steves story I got myself a brand new Benelli R1 30.06 this summer. This is my first kill with it. This buck came up on me at 45 yards. One shot with a 150 grs Federal Fusion and it dropped at the spot.

For some reason I am unable to link picture in this post until I reach 5 postings. Check out my public album.

Why did you put that camo red dot on the beautiful black R1? Oh well got the job done, Great Job and Congrats!

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as I write this I waiting the last few hours before the wife and I head down to the Alaskan Peninsula for a brown bear hunt. We hope for good weather, right now it is blowing up 80mph in the area. I have my R-1 packed in a hard case, all to do now is get there. I'm super excited and will get little sleep tonight.

Good luck to all

Steve

Home safe, no sheep, no moose, no bear. Still had an awesome time and learned a little more about the game I pursue. Spent time with a good friend and best of all got to hunt with my best friend, who is also my wife. Although we did not connect we still had the thrill of living with the great bears. Just living in a tent in bear country is a thrill in it's self. The Alaska weather shut us down and in the end we where happy to get home, warm and dry.

Steve

Home safe, no sheep, no moose, no bear. Still had an awesome time and learned a little more about the game I pursue. Spent time with a good friend and best of all got to hunt with my best friend, who is also my wife. Although we did not connect we still had the thrill of living with the great bears. Just living in a tent in bear country is a thrill in it's self. The Alaska weather shut us down and in the end we where happy to get home, warm and dry.

Steve

Glad to hear that you are home safe, Not every season is a success but every season is a Great Adventure with lots to learn from. Glad you had the opportunity to share that adventure with your wife.

Happy Hunting! :D

Had some down time and thought I would share a few photo's from my sheep hunt. Did not find a sheep to harvest, but did get close to a few and it was great just to be able to drag myself up and down the mountain. We flew in with super cubs.

IMGP1862.jpg

Did I mention that it was a beautiful place.

IMGP1876.jpg

Edited by stid2677

After a couple days, we had looked over all the sheep we could see. Lot's of sheep, but no legal full curl rams. We were going to have to climb to see what was on top. The snow line started at about 6500ft, we would have to climb up and over to have a peek into the bowls on top.

IMGP1930.jpg

Once on top we could see many sheep and also that we would have to approach the remaining bowl from the bottom. We glassed all these sheep, saw a few rams but nothing looked legal.

IMGP1939.jpg

While we were watching the ewes we had a young 4 year old ram approach us. He seamed to think we were ewes, he displayed his goods to us and then bedded down 145yards away and took a nap. I believed in the white suit trick, but this trip really made me believe.

IMGP1883.jpg

In this photo you can see the ram and my boot in the bottom right corner.

IMGP1895.jpg

After hours of climbing we spotted a small ram. We moved in to close the distance. Before long we had stalked to within shooting range. As we peaked over the last rise we could see that both sheep were too young and there was no legal sheep within our reach. You can tell by the look on my face that it had been a hard hunt. But, thats hunting. I enjoyed the time in the mountains, thankful to the lord that my broken old body was able to even get around. Lord willing maybe next year.

Young sheep.

IMGP1991.jpg

Me after hours of climbing finding no legal rams. I was in terrible pain, but I would still do it again.

IMGP1997.jpg

Steve

stid2677 -

I am loading 180 SP BT Nosler with 75.5 of RL22. We are going after Black Bear in the Spring at the POW islands. Would you recommend this load for my R1? I am using the small base die set from RCBS for loading. Tks in advance and I appreciate the feedback!

That combo should get the job done. I like the Accubonds, and Partitions better. Have had great success with the Accubonds on bears out of the wife's 270 WSM. I got the best groups with 69 grains of IMR 4831 with the Barnes 180 grain TSX BT. I did have some promising groups with a Nosler 180 grain Spt Bt Ballistic Tip with 73.5 grains of ReLoader22.

ALWAYS FOLLOW PUBLISHED LOAD DATA..

I see that you have the small base dies, auto loaders require a little more effort to reload for. I always cycle each reloaded round through my R-1 to make sure they feed and eject correctly. This is most important when hunting dangerous game. Don't overlook factory ammo, there is some quality ammo out there. I have had great results with the Federal Premium 180 grain Barnes TSX. This has proven to be a deadly load, and has brought down almost every animal that I have harvested in this thread. I found that I could not reload with any better results. I still reload for my other rifles, but for my R-1, I feed it the Federal Premiums.

Good Luck and be safe. Hope to see some pictures soon!!!!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up this porker Sunday morning. My son and I got down from our stand about 10:00am in a light drizzling rain. Got in the truck and begin driving down one of the lease roads back to camp, spotted two pigs in the field. I had unloaded my Ruger, but merely taken the live round out of the chamber in my Benelli R1 that my son was carrying. I quickly stopped the truck and grabbed the R1 from the back seat.

The pigs were now running in the field through knee high goatweed, trying to make cover about 140 yards away. I had to run about 20 yards to get from behind some mesquite trees. Took a knee and started swinging the rifle on the rear pigs nose right as she reached cover. Pulled the trigger right as she reached the tree line.

Obviously hit a little further back than I intended, but the 150grn Hornady Interbonds put her down "right now" anyway. Nice eating size, weighed ~80 pounds. Rifle is a Benelli R1 30-06 carbine w/ a Trijicon 2.5-10x56.

Pig.jpg

David

Well, the snow is on the ground and the temps are near zero. Time to put my R-1 in the safe until next spring. I spent 47 days in the field with my R-1 this year, I explored some new areas and spent time out with friends and my wife. I can't hunt as hard as I once did, but still enjoyed being out. After sheep season, I wanted to try for a moose. My buddy only had a few days off so we loaded up and headed out to make the most of it. We saw a small bull only a hour from starting our float. We passed and continued down to camp in some nice moose country. We called and glassed for a few days, but never saw a shooter.

IMGP2055-1.jpg

We loaded the raft and headed down river, the weather was awesome.

IMGP2072.jpg