What have U shot with your R-1

stid2677

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before we knew it, the last day had arrived. We floated to the takeout and met another group of hunters that where hunting there. They shot a small bull way off the river, they said they saw many moose until the wolves showed up. There were 2 packs working the area, they ate an entire moose carcass in 1 day, nothing left but hair. We could have taken a bull but, were both looking for something a little larger. The weather was a little warm for moose until the last day. Was awesome to be out and look forward to next year.

IMGP2152.jpg

Steve

After moose season I still had an itch to get out. I shot a bear in an area that only allows one bear every 4 years. So I was unable to hunt on the Alaskan Peninsula, my wife however had a tag and wanted to try to fill it. She really likes hunting bears. So we packed up and headed to King Salmon.

IMGP2163.jpg

We flew into a lake next to a salmon stream. We setup camp and made sure the bear fence was working. The week before had record rain and the stream and low lying areas were at flood stage. We knew we were going to have a tough time.

IMGP2166.jpg

The day we flew in was beautiful, however that did not last long. The weather turned foul and we had rain, fog, wind and could only see a 100 yards are so.

IMGP2174.jpg

After a few days we knew the bears had headed for higher ground. All the sign was old and the flooded ground made travel miserable. While having dinner this fox came by. One quick shot and he was added to my trappers ring.

IMGP2173.jpg

The next day the weather cleared and turned cold. We were concerned that our lake surface would freeze and the float plane would be unable to land. We decided that we would take the opportunity to fly out. Saw some new country and will be better dialed in for the next hunt.

IMGP2184.jpg

Steve

For our last hunt of 2009 we headed to the fishing village of Old Harbor on Kodiak Island. We hired a water taxi to take us out to the hunting area. We were after Mt goat and Sitka Blacktail deer. Nov is the peek of the rut and the deer hunting is best during that time. The weather in Nov can prove to make hunting difficult to impossible.

Our first day there was amazing and we took advantage of the nice weather to make a run at the goats. We spotted several and headed up after them.

IMGP2057.jpg

We spotted this bear on the way out. Bear season was open but we were in a draw area. So only a photo.

brnbear2.jpg

We fought our way up through some nasty brush and followed a deer trail up the ridge to the top where we had seen the goats. As we neared the top, we could see that one of the goats was a nanny with a kid. The others were on top and I was just not comfortable climbing any higher as the footing was getting tough because of loose rock. Just us we realized we may not be able to get to the top, I saw a nice buck. After a quick discussion we decided to head down and try for the buck. He, however gave us the slip in the nightmare thicket of alders and salmonberry stalks. We did spot several deer and it was plain to see the the rut was in full swing. Before we knew it the short Alaskan day was nearing an end and we headed down to sea level for the ride back to the village.

IMGP2227.jpg

IMGP2243.jpg

The next day broke with rain and winds over 50 mph. The wind driven surf made a shore landing just too risky. We decided to enjoy the lodge and took a weather day. We explored the village and really enjoyed learning it's history and speaking with the locals. It was amazing to learn how hard it is to live in such a remote location.

IMGP2026.jpg

IMGP2046.jpg

After a days rest, we were eager to get back in the game. The wind was still howling and the hilltops were hidden in the clouds, so goat hunting was not an option. We could get to some deer country that was somewhat protected. We knew that with the foul weather they would most likely be bedded in the alder thickets. We got dropped off on a tidal flat and headed up the valley with the wind in our face. We had our head on a swivel, because we had bear sign everywhere. As we neared the top of a small rise we could smell deer, we had only taken a few more steps when Flor spotted a buck with a doe.

I quickly looked him over and decided that I would try to take him. He started running of course. So we began our dance of death, move and countermove, he stopped on the edge of an alder thicket and gave me a broadside shot. I was lost in the hunt, heart racing trying to catch my breath, my scope was wet from the pursuit through the head high brush. I brought my rifle to my eye, found the shoulder and fired. I could see through the scope that I had hit him, I quickly moved downhill through the thicket and found my self staring at the buck. One last quick shot and he was done. I was quite happy with my first buck and to harvest him while hunting with Flor made it even better.

IMGP2255.jpg

stvflor4.jpg

The weather was not getting any better so we took some photos and got to work. We quartered the buck up and got packed for our trip to the boat. Not smart to leave your kill in bear country, so we packed him out in one load. Jeff spotted us heading down and was able to pick us up near the tree line, saving me a pack through some thick brush. It was some nice to ride back to Old Harbor in the warm cabin of the boat.

IMGP2272.jpg

IMGP2273.jpg

The weather again turned bad with the winds exceeding 60mph. We had to stay in another day. Of course on our last day the weather started to get better. Clear skies, but still windy. We choose to stay out of the cold, since we only had a few hours before our flight. Our transporter is also a fishing guide so we choose to fish from the warm boat. We had a great day on the water and caught and released several halibut. Was awesome to escape the snow and severe cold of the interior Alaska.

IMGP2071.jpg

I cleaned my R-1 when I got home and put it in the safe until next year. God willing we will be out roaming the great land next year looking for adventure.

Good luck to those taking to the field and be safe.

Steve

The fence is a portable electric fence that weights about 4lbs. They just plain work and I sleep much better knowing its there.

Steve,

Can you tell me about the bear fence please? What is it, how does it work?

Thanks,

David

Edited by stid2677

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the last 4 days at the lease w/ my son. He has shot numerous does and small cull bucks and has been hoping for a little bit nicer buck this year which has, so far, eluded us. 1st night on my favorite stand we saw a few does then this buck w/ a damaged rack:

051.jpg

I age him at about 3 1/2, hopefully he just damaged his rack in the velvet this year and we'll get a shot at him next year.

Later that evening in the last 5 minutes of legal shooting time, a group of 5 wild hogs came through. A 150+ lb sow, 2 55lb pigs and 2 20ish lb pigs. My son dropped the one w/ the white legs 1st shot. The group broke as my son fired his second shot, a miss (no lead). Third shot crosshairs on the nose and dumped the other pig:

059.jpg

150grn Hornady SST's are very destructive, both complete pass throughs, both DRT. Tasty bacon!

Next morning we set up in one of my interior woods stands. A doe came out early, we had the tags and needed the venison. My son put the R1 up and sent a 30.06 150grn SST her way and down she went. Complete pass through again, I was going to prop her up for a better picture, but the damage was a little gruesome for a pic from the exit wound so I settled for this pic:

061.jpg

That evening we hunted one of the more open stands w/ a good view. Lots of activity, but not the buck we were looking for.

The weather warmed over the next 2 days and the deer activity slowed. We did not see any more bucks and only 2 more does. Oh well, we have some venison, bacon and some time left in hunting season...

David

Next morning we set up in one of my interior woods stands. A doe came out early, we had the tags and needed the venison. My son put the R1 up and sent a 30.06 150grn SST her way and down she went. Complete pass through again, I was going to prop her up for a better picture, but the damage was a little gruesome for a pic from the exit wound so I settled for this pic:

061.jpg

That evening we hunted one of the more open stands w/ a good view. Lots of activity, but not the buck we were looking for.

The weather warmed over the next 2 days and the deer activity slowed. We did not see any more bucks and only 2 more does. Oh well, we have some venison, bacon and some time left in hunting season...

David

Well done David, looks like your son is getting some trigger time. Nice looking R-1 as well.

Happy Holidays

Steve

I wanted to thank you for posting all the stories and pictures. I really enjoy looking at them. I currently have a Remington 700 in 270 and have been looking at rifles hoping to get a new one within the next year. I wanted a semi-auto and you have sold me on the Benelli R1. I was on the fence, but have had good experience with Benelli Shotguns and your stories have convinced me that the R1 is what I need. Your testimony that the rifle really does tame the recoil convinced me as well. I want something that isn't too big for whitetails here in WI, but could be used for Elk or Moose in the future. I am thinking the 300WSM. That does everyone think?

The 300WSM is more than enough for what you have planned. I will say that I have noticed that both the 270WSM and the 300WSM have more muzzle jump than the 300WM or 30-06, muzzle jump and recoil being two different things. Wish you the best of luck with it, I have grown quite fond of mine.

Steve

A saw no notable difference in recoil. The WSM's just have a bit of muzzle jump, maybe because of the faster velocity. Still manageable, just makes it a little harder to stay on target while looking through the scope. The non WSM ammo is cheaper and easier to find. Dealers choice really.

Good Luck

Steve