What have U shot with your R-1

stid2677

Our last deer hunt of the season - season lasts through next weekend, but we won't make it back out then. My son got a new Benelli R1 in 30.06 for Christmas (pics posted elsewhere). We got the rifle sighted in and headed for the lease.

The 1st night my son shot this big pig, guestimate weight ~150-200 pounds. Shot her on the run at about 90 yards.

IMG_03352.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

David

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Steve,

Thanks for posting all the pictures and stories of your hunts, after going through this thread I really have thoughts of moving to Alaska, such beautiful country! So, when are you going to take me hunting Steve? Do you or have you thought of doing any guiding?

On a side note, does anyone know where you can buy the #81131 R1 Rifle Sight package?

Thanks.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for posting all the pictures and stories of your hunts, after going through this thread I really have thoughts of moving to Alaska, such beautiful country! So, when are you going to take me hunting Steve? Do you or have you thought of doing any guiding?

On a side note, does anyone know where you can buy the #81131 R1 Rifle Sight package?

Thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to read about my adventures. No guiding for me, I can barely get around myself, Alaska has laws that prevent just anyone from guiding. You should move up and give it a try, you have to live here a full 365 days before you can hunt big game as a resident. The winters are tough, -22 degrees today with about 4 hours of daylight. There are DIY hunt opportunities here for non-resident, PM me for more info.

I would give Benelli customer service a call about the sight package.

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve.

I tried to PM you but I need 15 posts before I can PM so it wouldn't let me. I thought about just posting 14 blank messages on here to get to the number up then just PM you but I don't want to ruffle any feathers around here. If you want to share some of that DIY non resident hunt info with me I would definately be interested, maybe you can PM me your email and I can contact you that way? Or maybe if you PM me I can reply to those..Either way.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay they stay. When I started this thread, I was new to posting photos and blogging on the forums. I opened a photo account and started uploading photos. I now have over 1000 photos in an album and no way to organize it. If I move the photos to different albums it breaks the link to the forum they are posted in. I guess that I will leave them as is and open a different account. I have since learned how to upload into individual folders as I go now.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Conducted a little night time hog eradication over the weekend w/ the R1 - dropped this big bruiser free hand in a field w/ the R1. Trijicon 2.5-10x56 optics provide a level of night vision that has to be seen to be believed! Hornady SST 150grn did a great job on this big hog. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic - only camera I had:

IMG_0134.jpg

David

• 1 month later...

Still around, it's still winter up here in the great land. I did get a chance to get out and shoot my R-1 some, having a hard time getting it to group. I have fired over 2000 rounds with it and I'm afraid that the barrel may be starting to feel it. I scoped it and saw that the rifling is burnt away opposite of the gas port opening, it also has some throat erosion. May have to look for a new barrel for it. Going after bears next year in some big bear country, might have to consider a little more firepower. I have a lot of time in the field and history with my R-1, but all relationships has ups and downs. Still have a few more months to think about it.

Good Luck All

Steve

Edited by stid2677

Well good to hear. I never could get my R1 to group (2 1/2") at it's very best. Most of the time 4 1/2". So are you retired up there or did you live there all your life? I'm thinking of places to live in retirement. Ca. is not where I want to retire!

Thanks

Terry

• 3 weeks later...
I never could get my R1 to group (2 1/2") at it's very best. Most of the time 4 1/2".

Same here, so far anyways. Have you tried to feed it one round at a time so that the magazine is empty? My R1 tightens up big time when magazine is not involved.

Still around, it's still winter up here in the great land. I did get a chance to get out and shoot my R-1 some, having a hard time getting it to group. I have fired over 2000 rounds with it and I'm afraid that the barrel may be starting to feel it. I scoped it and saw that the rifling is burnt away opposite of the gas port opening, it also has some throat erosion. May have to look for a new barrel for it. Going after bears next year is some big bear country, might have to consider a little more firepower. I have a lot of time in the field and history with my R-1, but all relationships was ups and downs. Still have a few more months to think about it.

Good Luck All

Steve

Interesting, thanks for sharing this information!

• 2 months later...