Improving the Benelli Manuals – Suggestions

threeshot

First off, I want to say that this thread is not a Benelli bashing thread. I have read in the various threads on this forum a consensus that we want Benelli to improve their manuals.

Since Benelli has created this forum to get customer feedback, I would like the Benelli owners to make suggestions in this thread of what improvements we want made to the Benelli manuals.

This thread will provide Benelli with the suggestions we offer to improve the manuals.

So what are your suggestions for improving the Benelli manuals?

for one they could put the manuals up on the internet were you run ur mouse over customer service and it says Owners Manuals and u click on it and it says the owners manuals are still being put up and its said that for like 7 months...That would be nice if they put them up soon.. But i guess i can wait...

Later,

BenelliBoy

Here are the suggestions I have in no particular order.

• 1) Clearly state what needs to cleaned and lubricated once the gun is field stripped. Show where to apply the oil.
    • i) For example, apply a light layer of oil on all metal parts. On the slide rails where the bolt slides into the rails, put a couple of drops of oil in each slide rail and point the gun up to allow the oil to go down the length of each rail prior to reassembly.

[*]2) Clearly state in detail the choke tube cleaning and lubrication procedures. Including how tight you should tighten the choke tube.[*]3) Using the specific gun model, use high quality (not poor lighting or tiny images) pictures of the gun to illustrate each step in disassembly and reassembly. Not the cartoon pictures that are currently in the manual.[*]4) Provide tips to make disassembly and reassembly easier. Examples on the SBEII:

• i) Using an old shoelace wrapped once or twice around the base of the bolt handle and pull.
    • ii) Reassembly of the trigger guard assembly. The front of the trigger guard has a lip that attaches to the outside and on top of the receiver, and then you sort of hinge the back of the trigger guard downward into place.

[*]5) Providing step-by-step procedures for cleaning and lubricating the recoil tube assembly including pictures of each step.[*]6) Provide the Benelli lightest ammunition load to use for the gun model.

• i) For example on the SBE (and I assume on the SBEII) the recommended minimum is 3 drams using 1 1/8 shot load.
    • ii) Include the warning that you have on your website FAQ for the question of “What is the lightest load that my gun will shoot?”. (Modifications such as backboring, etc).

[*]7) Parts inspection during cleaning and oiling the gun. What is considered normal wear and how will it show visually on various parts?[*]8) Include from the Benelli website the Troubleshooting section in the manual.

[ 08-01-2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: threeshot ]

Excellent threeshot..."Benelli Please Show Us Where To Lube The Critical Moving Parts Of The Gun"....With Pictures....Not Words. Again threeshot this is good constructive advice....not whinning...If you notice on Tom Knapp`s web site, when he answers a question, he explains it in logical detail that is easily understood ...Maybe he should write the manual......Larry

Use acronym which are clearly mentioned in the parts list. If you go through any manual now, you will find terms mention which require some guessing.

I'll agree with all of threeshot points, I'll add also, clearly show how to remove the retaining pins, for example for the firing pin, during disassembly.

Also, I know they want to save money but put one manual for one gun. Right now, there's variance for North American, Europe, 12/20 guage, magazine extension, etc in the same manual. It's also not clear how to remove the rubber butt plate off the M1.

I just found out from another Benelli M1 owner that he avoids disassembling the bolt and trigger assembly. By disassemble, I mean further stripping after the assembly has being removed from the stock. For example, taking out the firing pin & spring from the bolt assembly.

I just want to hear from other owners whether this is really a routine thing or it's never performed. Right now I'm clueless how to remove those retaining pins, as suggested in the manual.

The manual says it's routine maintenance.

Well i will tell you what i do and it works for me. I have a M1 and a M2. I just remove the trigger assy. and the bolt assy. from the receiver. Clean and oil each assy. ...i do not break them down but lube them as an assy.....clean and oil the slide grooves on the inside of the receiver on both sides where the bolt assy slides when the gun is fired etc.....with the trigger assy removed you can see the recoil plunger/tube that fits in the stock....i take a little dowl and push the recoil plunger back into it`s tube that is in the stock and run a little oil down the tube. Put it back together and you are good to go...i don`t do this very often but i will add oil with a needle applicator to the receiver grooves and bolt after a hundred rounds or so. I am presently trying Militec-1 oil. Hope this helps. Larry

• 2 years later...

Don't get me wrong.... in my eyes Benelli is the only tactical shotgun there is. I've had others and sold them all. They really need to realize not everyone is a engineer, and they have been wrong about aftermarket accessories fitting. I had a m3 and the manual was of no use to me. Thank GOD we have a forum I just found.....:)

Very nice suggestions, but I say scrap the written/printed manual and ship a DVD, or better yet a flash drive with videos on disassembly, cleaning, and re-assembly.

Videos should also be dowloadable via the website.

DivX, baby, DivX!

And none-uh of-uh that-uh Italian-uh English-uh, where they put an "uh" on the end of every word!

Get some Midwestern, generic, easy to understand Brokaw type voice to narrate... or better yet, a nice sexy female so we'll REALLY pay attention.

I've actually been planning on making some videos of my own, but I just haven't found the time yet.

Was hoping for snowy days, but the snow in VA come very fast at 75 degrees.

I mean, video has only been around for a couple of decades now, so let's not rush into anything.

Maybe lead off with something in the Betamax format and build from there. :rolleyes: :p

First off, I want to say that this thread is not a Benelli bashing thread. I have read in the various threads on this forum a consensus that we want Benelli to improve their manuals.

Since Benelli has created this forum to get customer feedback, I would like the Benelli owners to make suggestions in this thread of what improvements we want made to the Benelli manuals.

This thread will provide Benelli with the suggestions we offer to improve the manuals.

So what are your suggestions for improving the Benelli manuals?

More Vino and Lasagne would be nice also, they do need to tweek their manuals with more critical information that everyone seems to ask over and over about, but thats why their is a search button to find existing threads and a C/S number to get the critical info that some people have issues with! Most issues have been answered but, what would be nice is a Benelli C/S Contact-A-TECH emial link which someone actually answered questions in a timely manner instead of having to call!!

1000% agree with Tucker on the video deal. I think each gun should be shipped with GOOD DETAILED instructions and also go to the video style uplinks on the website. I think a DVD should be sent instead of paper, BUT you run the risk of someone not having a DVD player. Paper may still be needed. On the DVD maybe have it so the written instructions can be printed. Got to save the trees, YO!

Lastly, on the website intead of having the close up pictures I would put the Pictoview system. It allows you to rotate the product in every direction to really see it. This is part website of the company that I work for. This should work. Cut and paste and check it out.

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/products/shoe.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441780345&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302050756&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181674&CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673269242&bmUID=1168965398261

• 1 year later...

A lot of minor details such as always threading the magazine cap back onto the magazine tube during disassembly if the magazine is not to be maintained. This ensures the safety of the operator and witnesses in the event the magazine spring seal ring dislodges during takedown. Using the bolt handle and not a pair of pliers to remove the magazine spring seal ring and so on and so forth. Screw and thread sizes and recommended torque values would be useful as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Recommending the use of a blunt plastic punch as opposed to the end of the bolt handle to disengage the axle bush from its retaining spring. This will prevent the finish of the receiver from being damaged in the event the bolt handle inadvertently slips from the top of the axle bush. The DPMS TL-PU Delrin Punch works well in this regard:

DPMS TL-PU vs. Factory Bolt Handle

dpms-bolt.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The inclusion of part numbers as referenced to factory stock. For example, authorized dealers reference the rear sight screw as 70061 and not 127J as depicted in the spare parts manual.

Same point as you. The part numbers in the spare parts manual are useless... You can't order anything with it, you need the dealer's part number.

I bought a new Benelli SBEII LH 2 weeks ago. a friend stopped by to see it and we decided to break her down. Neither of us had owned a Benelli before. Following the owners manual it took the 2 of us 45 min. to get it apart and back together! Later I got on this forum and printed out the instructions posted by tucker301. Took her apart down to the firing pin, cleaned and lubed, and back together in 30 min. Thanks tucker301.