121 SL-80 Auto Loader jams when cold

Indiana Mitch

I have an SL-80 I purchased around 1980. I loved that gun and ran lots of shells through it.

Some years back, it began to get "stiff" when it was cold outside. Many a shell failed to fire as the action became less and less trustworthy.

I confess that I did all the cleaning myself, and I don't know if I did a very good job. Last year, I dropped it off with a gunsmith at Gander Mountain and told him to do everything necessary to make the gun reliable again. He mentioned that the spring in the stock should be replaced, so I told him to do so.

The gun sat there forever with nothing being done. The gunsmith was replaced with a new fella that finally caught up on the backlog of work.

When I picked up my gun, I asked what had been done and the gunsmith said, "Just a real good cleaning, like you asked."

When I asked about the spring, he said there was nothing on the ticket about replacing a spring... but that he thought the gun would be fine.

I only own two guns. I Ruger Red Label 28, which is too small for ducks and geese, and this Benelli. I don't want to take a chance on having this gun fail me in the blind again.

Do I need to have that spring replaced?

Thanks!

If it is a gas gun, you have to keep the gas ports very clean, I had an old 1100 that would jam when it got cold. The powder does not burn as clean or efficiently when it is cold out and clogs the gas ports.

IF you ever hunt out of a goose pit when it is cold and there is snow on the ground you can see all the unburned powder on the snow.

Find the cleanest burning shells you can find, and clean the gas ports after every shoot.

Steel powder not as clean as lead powder.

I have heard that if you keep the shells warm in a pocket and rotate shells from your gun to your pocket and back it can help keep the shells warm and the powder burns better.

I sold the 1100 and bought a used 870 Wingmaster.

I don't know what shells to recommend unfortunately.

Good luck.

I think it has to be gas, I am not sure when Benelli came out with the current rotating bolt recoil operated system but I think in 1980 the only recoil shotguns were built on the A-5 long recoil patent.

A 23 year old gas gun that is giving you problems, it might be time to trade it in.

It is probably worth $100-$200, I don’t know.

If you want a new auto the Franchi 612 is a nice gun for the money.

I personally would not buy an auto used, but if your budget is tight you can pick up a used 870 wingmaster pump or Ithaca pump for $200-$300.

Good luck, email benelli and ask them if it is gas or recoil .

Originally posted by Indiana Mitch:

I could be wrong... but I dont' think any of the Benelli's a gas driven.

Am I correct?