Newbie with dumb ???

Gierkin

Hey I have shot a lot of trap and a tiny bit of sporting clays. But I have always used someone else's gun. I am now in the market to buy a shotgun but not really sure what to get. I want to continue to shoot trap and sporting clays but also want to get into hunting. i.e. deer, duck..... I have shot a Remington 1100. and enjoyed that a lot. But it is a little pricey, especially with the other things I want to purchase :D . I was thinking of a remmington 870 or Benelli Nova Pump. Just wondering what you guys thought was best. and also what do each of the chokes do. When I shot trap I never used one. I am much more familiar with my glocks than a shotgun so just looking for some advice. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Gierkin:

Hey I have shot a lot of trap and a tiny bit of sporting clays. But I have always used someone else's gun. I am now in the market to buy a shotgun but not really sure what to get. I want to continue to shoot trap and sporting clays but also want to get into hunting. i.e. deer, duck..... I have shot a Remington 1100. and enjoyed that a lot. But it is a little pricey, especially with the other things I want to purchase :D . I was thinking of a remmington 870 or Benelli Nova Pump. Just wondering what you guys thought was best. and also what do each of the chokes do. When I shot trap I never used one. I am much more familiar with my glocks than a shotgun so just looking for some advice. Thanks

Well a Nova would be a great gun because of its durability, and ability to be a very simple gun yet shoot like a more sophisticated semi-auto at the same time( I bought two I liked them so much). Each choke is has a different wall thickness so as to force choke/compress the shot in to the desired pattern. A tighter choke such as a full or improved modified will have a denser pattern at longer ranges. A cylinder choke will have a less dense pattern so would be used for closer ranges. This all allows you to take shots at varying distances and be able to get the target down. You might also want to take a look at Berettas semi-autos there more in the neighborhood of $500.00 and all shoot great because of their balance and feel. A Nova is a virtual tank; it is indestructible and can handle 3 1/2 Mags well. They do take a bit of working in due to the nature of there polymer construction, so you may hear stories of them jamming, but this is only when they are new and unused but even then it is a rarity. I have never had a problem with mine and if you go with a Beretta expect the same quality because Benelli is part of Beretta.

Hope this helps

If you don't mind spending in the neighborhood of $800-$1,000 for a good used gun I would definitely recommend trying the Benelli Sport (12 gauge auto.). This is a great gun for sporting clays and waterfowl. The regular sport is no longer made so if you are looking for one that is brand new the Sport II model is now it’s replacement. I have not shot the second version but if it’s as good as the first or better then it’s worth every penny. It looks a little nicer also. Your best bet is to shoot several models before making up your mind. My main reason for liking this model so well is it fits me like a glove. Very comfortable, not too heavy, and above all I feel more comfortable with it than most other shotguns. Think about a handgun. Certain models or brands work better with different people, depending on their hand size and shape. I prefer a Ruger P94 40 Cal other people prefer a Glock or Beretta. It’s al personal preference. Overall I don’t think any gun Benelli makes will disappoint you.

• 9 months later...