Shotshells and decoys

NoTox

I have two questions for you waterfowlers out there. First, have any of you used the Kent Fasteel shells? If so, what did you think of them? I am used to shooting Winchester Dryloks, but I'm thinking about changing. Second, has anyone used the Blackwater FUD decoys? They look like they would be great for where I hunt, and a lot easier to carry in. Any input is appreciated.

have tried the kent .. but, Hevi-shot is where its at NoTox ... bi-pass the remington loads and go directly to Hevi-Shot/Envirometal and purchase theirs ... I'm not a fan of remingtons hunting loads.

start with their 2-3/4" offerings in #4 and #6 shot then go from there. You'll be happy you did!

sorry - no experience with the Blackwater FUD decoys.

I have thought about trying them, but I don't know if I can bring myself to spend $2.00 per shot. Also thought about trying to reload some Hevishot, and maybe bring the cost down. Us city employees down exactly make a whole lot of cash.

kent fasteel is some good stuff, especially for its price. i have been using it for years. the #4 shot over decoys is great for puddlers.

one word of caution, fasteel has no waterseals so pay attention not to drop them in the water. the pellets are not plated and rust quickly. otherwise it is a great load for use over decoys.

if it is a problem any shotgunshell can be sealed with wax and nail polish.

good luck

Hi No Tox, winchester Drylok is great for its pattern and price. I brought a lots big mallards and geese down with No.2,1 or BB. but not beyond 70 yards, not unless using 31/2. I tend to try Hevi-shots but I can't afford the price equally true for Bimuth.

• 2 weeks later...

Kent is a pretty good round and one of the fastest for the dollar. I always go with the motto "speed Kills" Hevishot has been ultimately too expensive and 31/2 in steel works out to be cheaper and nearly as effective. Plus a helluva lot cheaper to practice with. Reloading hev is not that inexpensive either.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

ive never had any problems carryin decoys before, just take em out the boat drag em through the water to your blind set em out cuz theres no point in walkin on the bank to your blind if it aint that far newayz cuz then youll have to get back in the water to flip the decoys over that land on their side(unless that only happens to me). and churning up the mud is good for your spread cuz it actually looks like ducks have been movin around and feeding. and it depends on how many decoys you bring

and im say this cuz here in southwest louisiana we only hunt in marshlands with blinds accessable by mostly boat, or maybe an atv, but the point is we try to make it as easy as possible bto get there, so there wont be as much time spent on getting out there, and more time on getting the decoys ready, along with the guns so you can take a few early sunrise teal

• 3 weeks later...

I use either Federal ultra-shock high velocity steel or ultra-shock heavy high velocity steel. i my self cant see paying around $2.00 a shot . I tried Kent FASTEEL AND IMPACT and thought that the kent steel was a good shell the impact is about the same price as the hevi-shot. I bought a case of the fasteel and NOW use both KENT and FEDERAL. As for the FUD'S I HAVE NEVER USED NOR KNOW ANYONE THAT HAS.

[ 10-17-2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: geeseM2 ]

I appreciate all of the response guys. I still have not decided if I am going to try the hevi-shot. I am afraid that I might like it too much! I was just worried about the Kent, because on another post, someone said the Fasteel jammed in their SBEII about a third of the time.

I can't comment on Hevi Shot because I've never used it. But, after the cripple problems last year my hunting partner and myself are thinking about using it.

As for the FUDs, they're awesome providing you are not hunting in high winds. They do have a tendancy to lean when the winds pick up. On the flip side, a slight breeze really gets 'em moving. Try them, you won't be sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

No Tox,

I can tell you that once you try hevi-shot, you will be asking for it at Christmas, birthday's, father's day.....good stuff!!! Yes, it is expensive if bought from Rem. or Environmetals, but in my opinion, worth it. Not to mention, ethically responsible in making clean, quick kills.

A while ago, I got a little push from Birddog, on this site, to look into re-loading hevi-shot. I am certainly glad I took his advice. I am now shooting a 3" #2 Hevi-Shot 1 3/8" oz. load at 1525 fps as my standard goose load. Geese don't stand a chance.

For price, you take it from Remington's $2/shell to $1/shell by reloading it. Compare that to $.60-$.70/shell for steel and it's not that much more.

Birddog, thanks for advice. Have any use for some 3 1/2" steel shells? ;)