Choke for Hevi-Shot

BW

I just picked up an SBE II and am interested in trying some 3, or 3.5" hevi-shot through it (if there is such as thing as 3.5" hevi-shot).

Does anyone know if the no-tighter-than-modified restriction on shooting steel through choke tubes is the same for Hevi-shot? In other words, could I shoot Hevi-shot through the full choke tube?

Thanks,

Ben

Have used hevi-shot for years and love it. Huge advantage over steel in open field situations. Never went tighter than modified for two reasons:

1) I obtain 83-87% patterns in a 30" circle at 40 yds with it.

2) Many articles written suggesting not to.

• 3 weeks later...

All of the Hevi Shot info you need is on the Remington web site. They have a .pdf pamphlet that gives number of pellets in a 40" circle at different chokes. I think Hevi shot will shoot at least as tight as steel, because the shells have buffer in them. Buffer tends to give you about one more level of tightness in "effective choke constriction".

The site also has a 5 minute video with demonstrations. Essentially, even though 1 3/8 of Hevi shot has fewer pellets than 1 3/8 of steel, Hevi puts more hits on target. You also shouldn't need 3.5 inch shells if they even make them. Hevi is like lead or better. 3.5 inch shells were developed to address the inadequacies of steel.

doublebarrel - one thing to note here is that Environmetal / HeviShot is still producing their own shells and in my opinion are a better route than the Remington offerings ..

Another thing about heavy shot is that you're able to drop down a shot size say from #2 to #4 or from #4 to #6 size shot .. so essentially you're pellet count/speed/energy/penetration relationship is still greater with #6 HeviShot than with #4 steel or #4 vs. #2 respectively.

just something to chew on I guess.

[ 12-07-2004, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: birddog ]

Birddog, I actually didn't know until last week when I was wandering around Mack's Prairie Wings that Environmetal makes shells (thought Remington had purchased exclusive rights). I have HeviShot #6 right now, but will try some Environmetal when they are gone. Should burn them in a couple of duck hunts I have scheduled the week after Christmas.

This new shot reminds me of my first duck hunt years ago when I used #6 lead in a double 16 ga.

I agree, its some great stuff and has made me a better waterfowler for sure. When guys complain about the high price I usually refrain from saying that in my experiences my shooting percentages went through the roof and dragging it out trying to explain that less shots = less $$ .. some folks like bangin' away and persistantly reject the thought that it IS a better way to go because of the initial cost difference.

I remember a hunt where i was sitting in the duck blind as a kid listening to my father, grandfather and uncles joke that you have to shot'em three times with steel .. #1 - to slow 'em down, #2- to knock 'em down and #3 - on the way down.

Then came tungstun and bismuth .. my grandad did flips over that stuff.. (and so did the rest of us) .. and before you know it Hevishot has answered better then lead..

anywho . . . Definately give the Environmetal loads a whirl!! .. and Good luck on you hunt after Christmas. . .

"TAKE 'EM!" ... :D ;)

I agree with everything you guys have been saying about Hevi-shot! Great stuff! I use a Mod choke from Briley [extended and camo] with #2 Hevi-shot in an M2 Benelli.........the Benelli Mod choke does about the same thing in terms of pattern and results!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know a supplier for heavy-shot pellets for reloading other than Ballistic Products? I would like to find heavy-shot buck shot. I am also interested in finding manfactures of plated buck shot - 1 buck, 4 buck, T buck and plated BB for reloading? Thanks for your help.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Both Remington and Undertaker HS choke diameters are .675 for 12ga. in an extended choke tube. Cabelas Super Full rated for HeviShot is .660, patterns well at 60yds with 2's and B's. A standard full is .700 though it's not usually used in an extended choke. I shot over 100 rounds of HeviShot through my SBE internal Full choke before going to a tighter constriction with no problems. Choke requirements for HeviShot are not the same as steel. Be Safe

• 2 weeks later...

Mistman,

Different combinations of gun/chokes and shells yeild different results. You really need to do your homework on your particular combination to be sure of what your dealing with. If you need some direction on how to go about doing this, just let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Like any situation, know your equipment's potential and limitations.

The following is how I've always examined patterning. I am sure if I am wrong, someone on this site will correct me.....

1) Take a paper medium, either posterboard, cardboard, etc. that is big enough to draw a 30" diameter circle. (You want a solid color. Newspaper makes it hard to count all the little holes amongst the lettering).

2) Draw one circle on the medium for every choke/load combination you want to evaluate.

3) For the load in question, cut an unspent shell apart and count the amount of shot pellets contained in that particular load. BE CAREFUL!

4) Shoot the load through each and every gun/choke combo you want to evaluate at the 30" circle from 40 yards. Of course, you will only shoot 1 shell per 30" circle target.

5) Count the amount of holes contained inside the 30" circle and divide that count by the total pellet count you recieved in #3 above. Multiply this number by 100 and you will get the percentage of shot contained in a 30" circle for that particular load/choke/gun combination.

After you have evaluated all the possible combinations, you will want to take to the field the combination that comprises the highest shot density (highest percentage calculated) for a combination of load/choke/gun that you possess. Naturally, you will not want to go against manufacturers warnings or recommendations regardless of your homegrown experimental results. That is, if Benelli tells you not to shoot hevi-shot through their factory full choke or you will void the guns warranty, don't, even if you find that the full choke/hevi-shot load yielded you the greatest pattern density. Ultimately, it's your decision.