O/U Waterfowl + Chokes

Richard Morris

I'm new to Waterfowl but I have the bugg! Alright, I'm using Kent Stell Shot becuase it's cheap and it's steel. Is this alright to be using it?

O/U, Ducks, #2 3" 1 3/8"

O/U, Canada Geese, #4 3" 1 3/8"

Would you say that was fair?

Also, Chokes for Waterfowl. If It's gonna be a choke, it's gonna be a Briley. Extended, Flush, Ported WHERE DO I START??

Teach me Grasshopper!

• 3 weeks later...

Porting dosen't really make the gun "louder" it just allows the sound from the shot to come back at you instead of out the barrel. I have experenced this in the duck blind when another hunter had a ported barrel for "faster fallow-up shots" he fired at a green head and we almost kicked his a$$ out the blind!

Extended chokes will help with all shot patterns because it allows the shot more time to constrict so less pellet deformation. So with all them big words, they improve the pattern over short choke tubes.

I use an IC choke for steel and a modified choke for Kent Tungsten Matrix. Modified works extremely well with Kent. I shot Kent exclusively this duck season: No. 5, 2 3/4" shells. Best year yet, I took 32 ducks and one goose. Kent can be expensive, but you can't beat the knock down power! Great stuff. Sometimes I'll shoot Kent with an IC choke, but that's usually only over decoys for the first few days of the season.

I use an over and under, so, do you think that I should get a Mod and IC or Mod in both?

I thought about that, hunting in swamps that when the birds come in, they are gone at the bat of an eye. Normally you only get 1 shot off before they are gone.

I think I'm just gonna have to buy some, waste the money and test my pattern's this summer? I hate the fact that they can't be returned. I tried e-bay but not many people sell them.

Maybe I need to find out if a show is going on where a choke manufacturer would be there. I might be able to pick up some deals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use a ported patternmaster for geese on my SBE . .stock cut to 13.25 inches and barrel is 24 inches . .no complaints about loudness and it really takes the sting out of those 3.5 inch loads for me.

[ 03-01-2005, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: blackduck ]