Which Shell?

DJ

I bought a 20 ga. M1 for my wife. This thing is so nice that I am considering taking it to Canada with me this fall for geese and ducks as my back up gun. I am planning on shooting Hevi-shot. What sizes should I hunt with? I thought about the #4's for an all around load but wanted to here from someone that has real world experience. Thanks.

Since it's going to be your back-up gun, I wouldn't worry about bringing a whole bunch of different shot/shell sizes.

Since it's a 20 gauge, I would stick with the 4's, but 6's would work pretty well for ducks. Use a heavier load and shot.

You're bringing a 12 gauge for your "main gun," correct?

Yeah, I'll be bringing my SBE as my main gun. I just thought it would be fun to shoot some geese in the fields with the 20ga. I may shoot some ducks in the potholes too. I was thinking about just using the 4's also. Thanks.

If it was me I would bring some #2 steel as a seperated load it you want to blast them at close range. The main reason I like this load is because it wont't leave as much shot left behind in the game.

also you will need to bring 2 rounds to how many birds you expect to get just in case. have fun and trust me from experiance, Don't forget to bring the tags, and don't leave them on kitchen table!

If you don't have time to switch out shells, then 4's would work all-around. Just don't try those big honkers that are out there a ways with the stuff.

If you do have time to switch shells while hunting, definately hevi-shot 2's for the geese. I have used this for years and have nothing but stone-cold dead geese to show for it.

Personally, I think 4's in hevi-shot are a bit much for pothole or decoy ducks. Open fields, maybe, if they are out at 50-60 yards, but for the 30-40 yard distances that are typically long for decoying/pothole ducks, downsize to a 6 in hevi-shot.