how is everyone's duck season going?

CuzTheyFly

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pics from Cali... While in our high school days,,My brother and I used to be Central Cali public refuge rats...Mendota, Merced, Volta, Kern, and even Wister near San Diego... Many good times spent camping sweat lines with fellow duck hunters... Now we run a Outfitter company in North Texas and get to hunt quite a bit more often... There is something really cool about the Pacific flyway and public duck hunting in California... We have found that most other states have very poor public hunting programs, compared to California...

this pic is from 1990 at Mendota ..or Volta..

Scott_Mendota_CA_220_.jpg

Dang even the ducks are rich in Cali...nice jewelry picture.. We had no choice on the refuges, as it was high school years for us back then... Every hunt was also a long road trip from Thousand Oaks. You a California Water Fowl member? You folks take duck clubs to whole different level out there...$$$$

Originally posted by mudhen:

Gonna hit Kern this weekend. Refuges are fine, but I like the club life too...

2003_0101cinnamon0017.jpg

mudhen - CA

Went out today for ducks and geese from an open water blind.

Not long after sunrise, we caught movement coming our way, right out of the rising sun.

Geese!!

Three big geese were coming in low and silent and were fixed on our decoys, which were about 30 yards to our right - upwind.

Still and quiet, we watched as the black silhouettes steamed our way.

This was going to be GOOD!

As they entered our "no fly zone", barrels slowly rose and safeties clicked off.

At about 1/2 squeeze on my SBEII, my partner yells, "SWANS!", and they flared up and away at about 20 yards.

Although he holds a swan permit, and the calendar is right, we are about 60 miles west of where this would have been a legal kill.

Coming straight at us, with the sun at their backs, they look very much like geese, and we're not used to seeing swans here but maybe twice a year, and never coming into our decoys :eek:

Added comments:

It should be noted that my hunting partner and I DO know the difference between geese and swans, most of the time.

With them coming directly at us, and the low morning sun at their backs, all we could see was goose-like wings and heads.

A slight profile would have immediately revealed that the young swans were not geese, but they didn't provide that for the 200 yards we saw them on approach.

[ 01-14-2006, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

OK going out on a limb here. Will start by saying I am not a hunter, no one in my close family hunts and I dont have any friends that hunt.

Here we go. Are these ducks edible? If so: How big a freezer do you guys have? Is there problem with eating around shot? How many freakin recipies do you have for duck?

If they are not edible: What do you do with a dead duck/a lot of dead ducks?

:confused:

thx all

Thx for the reply. I'll just say that I dont claim to know anyones reasons for anything that they do. For all I know the ducks threatened your family. I was sincerely hoping that this was not a kill for kills sake sport, such as in the "Exploding Varments" videos. I am not a tree hugger nor am I here to pass judgement on others (except maybe PETA, they get on my nerves). Was truley interested in the motives of the duck hunt.

Having said that, what about dove, are they big enough to eat? Have seen articles/ads in shooting mags where people have killed dozens in a day. I have been told that my grandfather used to dove hunt, but never heard of him eating them.

WOW! My boss just handed me a cooler with a deer ham in it! What a good start to a day!

Happy blastin!

Originally posted by 300lb shark:

Having said that, what about dove, are they big enough to eat? Have seen articles/ads in shooting mags where people have killed dozens in a day. I have been told that my grandfather used to dove hunt, but never heard of him eating them.

Not much meat on them, just the breasts essentially, but I know people eat them. Bite sized morsels. :D Some dove recipes.

Originally posted by 300lb shark:

The daily record for dove by one person is something like 6000+- a few hundred.

A decent shoot in Argentina is 2000+ shells fired with a bag determined by the shooter's ability.

Cooked correctly, they are delicious. Cooked poorly, they taste like old liver.

A few states have a daily limit of 12-15. Most states are 10. 10 dove is a good meal...

mudhen - CA

Awsome pictures fellas!!!! I usually for some odd reason dont really get into the duckhunting hard until deerseason goes out so my duck-season has gone perty decent to be as hot as its been.... We went monday and shot a limit of Bluebills, two Redheads, and a Pintail-hen.... We saw alot more ducks than that but didnt wanna risk shooting another bluebill.... Overall it was a goodhunt.... I intend to hit some ponds this week being its the last week of the season, going tommorow but it is supposed to be 70 friggin degrees in JANUARY, man this heat is killing me!!..-tim

Some of you guys do great ,here in Maine it can be tough. Especialy when our limit is the least of all.Sea ducks are different though. How about my last trip to the coast. First hungover at 4am .Not good. Next 100 mile ride. Then the unthinkable , 100yards from the boat landing and the wheel falls off the boat trailer. 2 hours later trailer fixed and boat landing full of hunters trucks and trailers. It snowed the night before and we of course get stuck and have to detach the boat trailer to turn around.Ok boat in water30 min later and out board wont start. Please shoot me now !! Well theres the 6 horse kicker we just will have to stay in the bay. While hooking engine on tide gos out, stuck at boat landing. Well some kind hunters coming in helped lift the boat back in the water. Yeah lets hunt . Well 1hr 20min hunt gave us 7 ieders and one hen buffle head. So who wants to come hunting with my friends and I . DEAD CAT SEA DUCK HUNTING CLUB