How many of you actually eat them?

sdkidaho

The ducks, I mean.

Seems like I hear a lot of guys that talk about liking to hunt them, but few that like to eat them. I just can't see killing something just to kill it. I suppose as long as the meat goes to someone, somewhere, it wouldn't bother me, but thinking that someone is just tossing the birds pretty much irks me.

I can't remember the last time I had duck. When I was a teen I think, and if I recall it correctly it tasted like mud.

Any good recipes or suggestions for cooking them?

Originally posted by mudhen:

WTF?

You gotta be kidding :rolleyes:

mudhen - CA

Kidding? Why would I kid? :D No, really, why would I?

And no, I've got a brother in-law that loves to hunt birds, but he doesn't like taking them home, so I rarely go with him because of it.

Or is your response to "I just can't see killing something just to kill it." I understand trophy hunting, but even there we always took the meat. Always.

Ah, I think I answered my own question from reading another thread:

Originally posted by mudhen:

n/a - but did you really think we shot these ducks just to watch them die :confused:

mudhen - CA

It wasn't a slight against anyone, it was just a question, dude. smile.gif I don't know most of you from Adam, but it wasn't my intent to accuse anyone of not being ethical. ;)

I get the majority of my ducks smoked at a place in Sac. called Morants Sausage Kitchen. Mudhen may know of this place, living close to Sac. If not, I highly recommend getting a few birds smoked. With some crackers, cheese, and a cold one, it's great!

I breasted out my ducks this year and I'm going to make sausages with my wife's uncle.

Some guys I know take their ducks to an Asian restraunt to have them cooked or roast them in the oven and put a tasty sauce on it.

You can even try making jerkey or have someone do it for you. Try a butcher or place that makes sausages.

For recipes check out DU web page or hunt fish cook.

[ 01-18-2006, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: NateDog ]

T, but few that like to eat them.

Yup, the are decent eating...just had duck sandwiches for the last two days.

Firstly get out all the pin feathers, stuff with cut up apples. cook in oven for about 1 hr 15 min at 350 with some water and chicken stalk in the bottom of the covered pan. Make sure fluids don't touch the meat. Let cool then peel the meat off in bite sized pieces. Immerse the meat fully in water, butter, and white wine.. Meat must be completely under the fluid with nothing exposed. Put this in microwave for about 4 min. Then drain of half of the fluid. You can eat right away but I prefer overnight fridge and eating them in a sandwich. People think it's beef. I actually really enjoy it as I do venison and partridge.

I personally will not shoot if I will not eat it.

Try this receipe and it definitely is better the next day. Also peeling the meat off in bite sized pieces lets the moisture of the second part of the receipe soak in but it also lets you catch just about all of the shot that could be in the meat. I rarely eat shot with this method.

Ducks are very good eating, at least the puddlers and vegetarian divers like redheads and cans.

I don't like cooking and can't be bothered with fancy recipes, though I'm sure they're very good that way. I simply breast out the duck, put it in a ziplock with some italian salad dressing for 10-15 minutes, and then put it on the grill. The same rules apply for duck as for venison - don't cook it well done. I think ducks are wonderful this way.

Geese are another story.

Deja Vu! I just finished eating supper, sat down and read bluedavis' post.

Tonight I ate duck and goose breasts that were marinated in Italian dressing, wrapped in bacon, and grilled. Delicious! I also put them in ice water for a while before the ziplock and Italian dressing to pull a little more of the blood out.

No beer in the house, so I'm drinking wine tonight. For a snack I selected some mallard jerky that I made using the Hi-Mountain jerky mix that you can buy. This is something that you can make in the oven (when your wife isn't around) and I give it my highest recommendation. If you can't find it in your local sporting goods store, then check out their web site. I use it for venison too and am especially fond of the hickory and the mesquite flavors.

http://www.himtnjerky.com/

I roast my geese whole, stuffed with fruit of all kinds (mostly oranges, apples and pears) and use the fruit fluid run-off to make a glaze with some corn starch. Make some stuffing from scratch and some mashed potatoes and a good glass of my buddies homemade wine. The same works for whole ducks too.

I also like to wrap bacon around a marinated duck breast and grill them to about med to med-rare.

I also make a lot of duck jerky.

• 2 weeks later...

Each time I make something like this, I wing it. So no two are ever quite alike.

This batch had two breast fillets, new potatoes, carrots, an onion, 1/2 cup? of orange juice, tbsp? garlic powder, white pepper, black pepper, celery, cup? of Duplin Hattera Red (drank the rest while I watched the race), and maybe some other spices and stuff I tossed in there.

Cooked for about 5 hours, took the breasts out and sliced them, hit them with a spike type tenderizer (fork would work too), and dropped them back in for another hours or so.

Originally posted by sdkidaho:

The ducks, I mean.

Seems like I hear a lot of guys that talk about liking to hunt them, but few that like to eat them. I just can't see killing something just to kill it. I suppose as long as the meat goes to someone, somewhere, it wouldn't bother me, but thinking that someone is just tossing the birds pretty much irks me.

I can't remember the last time I had duck. When I was a teen I think, and if I recall it correctly it tasted like mud.

Any good recipes or suggestions for cooking them?