How many of you actually eat them?

sdkidaho

--- IF WE KILL IT, WE EAT IT---

But seriously, we kill a lot, so ill admit by january, we're pretty tired of eating duck and deer and moose 5 nights a week.

so every year in the early spring...(doing it right now) we cut up all of our left over frozen duck breasts and hang them on the top rack of the oven at 200 deg. untill VERY DRY... then they go in baggies with about 10 in each, for dog training treats, and hunting treats, and "good dog treats"

--- Yes It all gets eaten one way or another...

and "Gunner" really appreciates the snacks.

James From Maine

• 2 weeks later...

Every duck I shoot gets eaten, the whole duck. It really bothers me when I see people near us coming back to the camp with limits upon limits of mallards and pintails, and they filet the breast off and throw the rest away.

I've deboned entire ducks before and 1/3rd of the meat is on the legs, thighs, and wings. It should be considered wanton waste when people keep the breasts and throw away the rest, its like keeping the backstrap off of a deer and chunking the rest.

DSCN1188.jpg

This is what we do with all of our ducks/geese:

DSCN1631.jpg

DSCN1442.jpg

[ 03-15-2006, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: sprigsss ]

its like keeping the backstrap off of a deer and chunking the rest.
You should look up analogy in the dictionary...

Do you eat the innards? Some folks eat the intestines, do you?

Do you save the feathers and make pillows?

How about duck bill soup?

Most internet surveys show about 70% breast out most of their ducks.

I pluck some birds, breast out mostly...

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by mudhen:

quote:
its like keeping the backstrap off of a deer and chunking the rest.
You should look up analogy in the dictionary...

Do you eat the innards? Some folks eat the intestines, do you?

Do you save the feathers and make pillows?

How about duck bill soup?

Most internet surveys show about 70% breast out most of their ducks.

I pluck some birds, breast out mostly...

mudhen - CA You sure do know how to be a smartass, I know exactly what analogy means, do you? I'm talking about meat, you know muscle tissue. The same meat tissue you eat (the breast meat) is present on the legs/thighs and wings and there is plenty of it. Those that don't eat that meat are simply too lazy to take the time to remove it. No we don't eat the intestines but we do eat the gizzards and hearts.

The legs/thighs and wings accounts for nearly 1/3 of a duck. So the next time you breast out 6 ducks, you essentially just wasted 2 whole ducks. As far as taking up too much room in the freezer, you can do 2 things. First you can debone the entire duck which will only take a few extra minutes and just a tad bit more space, or you can stop hunting when your freezer is full.

But I'm sure you two don't give a rats *** about wasting the meat, the only thing you're interested in is getting back out there and seeing how much you can kill.

Don't get me wrong, I also kill as many as I can, but every bird is eaten and not a morsel of meat is thrown away.

I agree that the majority are lazy and simply breast out their ducks. However I also know that the majority of the people I went to high school and college with drove while under the influence, it doesn't make it right. But I guess since everyone else is doing it you'll never think twice about doing the same.

nospinner2.JPG

Originally posted by MOFOWLER:

Lat two posts got me laughing. Yeah that looks like a lot of work, and I don't know about the smiley in the second pic down. I don't even cut into them anymore because i think they taste god alwful. The snow geese are a little rough too.

I hear a lot of people talk bad about the smileys and I find it surprising. Maybe it just has a lot to do with their diet and what they're eating in your area. I use to pass on them all the time because we were taught they were trash ducks. Well one year after a very slow morning I had a large flock of smileys come in and I dropped 3. A couple weeks later I invited 2 buddies over and I cooked the 3 shovelers and 3 Teal. Both of them including myself thought the shovelers tasted better than the Teal, and thats no joke. Now I don't let them go unless the mallards are dive bombing us. So far I've been quite lucky and haven't eaten a single strong tasting duck yet.

I'm not fond of the geese either, but we rarely get an opportunity to shoot a goose where we hunt. There are thousands everywhere, but they're usually flying miles high and don't give very many shooting opportunities. Well that one hunt the fog was so thick we could barely see the furthest decoy and the geese were flying ridiculously low.

I skinned them out because I really don't like them plucked and baked whole. We just make gumbo with those and if you add enough andouille sausage, tabasco, and jalepenos and drink enough beer its pretty darn good.

[ 03-15-2006, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: sprigsss ]

But I'm sure you two don't give a rats *** about wasting the meat, the only thing you're interested in is getting back out there and seeing how much you can kill.

Do you have ESPN or something? Dang, you've got me figgered out smile.gif (no joke at all).

I will not be impressed until you start eating the intestines and making pillows! Do you eat duck butts too?

And, btw, the spoony & teal story is about 100 years old. Next time try a more original duck tail. Pure rural legend - shovelers taste like crap - that is a fact :D

Even the Indians in Elko, NV thought shovelers tasted like crap...prolly called it "duck that tastes like wiping hand"...

mudhen - CA

Mudhen,

All I can see is that it depends on what they're eating. I gaurantee you I can cook you some shovelers and you wouldn't know the difference.

I find the breast meat is much more tender than the teal and absorb way more seasoning. Maybe you just need a coonass to cook them up for you.

Try stuffing them with jalepenos, apples, and andouille sausage and baking them in 50/50 italian dressing/white wine.

I guess you guys don't eat coots either?

DSCN1221.jpg

DSCN1222.jpg

DSCN1225.jpg

They make one helluva gumbo!

Originally posted by sdkidaho:

The ducks, I mean.

Seems like I hear a lot of guys that talk about liking to hunt them, but few that like to eat them. I just can't see killing something just to kill it. I suppose as long as the meat goes to someone, somewhere, it wouldn't bother me, but thinking that someone is just tossing the birds pretty much irks me.

I can't remember the last time I had duck. When I was a teen I think, and if I recall it correctly it tasted like mud.

Any good recipes or suggestions for cooking them?

Eat'em all! Here on the coast of Main, the Black Duck is about the best table fare shy of those raised on Long Island, here is a favorite of the BBWA.

In a metal skillet heat olive oil very hot, lightly season 2 duck breasts(boned) and sear both sides, cover the top of each breast w/orange marmalade, then cover w/lemon slices, into a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes(don't over cook)! remove duck, slice and place on platter, deglaze skillet w/4 tablespoons red wine, ad a little flour or cornstarch to thicken and pour over duck, serve w/long grain rice. The biys at the "Ducks Flew Inn" love it.

Originally posted by sprigsss:

Mudhen,

All I can see is that it depends on what they're eating. I gaurantee you I can cook you some shovelers and you wouldn't know the difference.

I find the breast meat is much more tender than the teal and absorb way more seasoning. Maybe you just need a coonass to cook them up for you.

Try stuffing them with jalepenos, apples, and andouille sausage and baking them in 50/50 italian dressing/white wine.

I guess you guys don't eat coots either?

DSCN1221.jpg

DSCN1222.jpg

DSCN1225.jpg

They make one helluva gumbo!

Did you happen to get one of those fine looking coots mounted? Maybe a flying pair? I'll bet that would look nice on the wall.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen this yet. The past couple of years, we've canned our ducks, geese, and deer. It takes alittle time upfront, but it's good all year. We don't use a pressure cooker, my mom found a receipe from an older lady in N MN that uses just the over to do the canning. Meats so good that all 3 of my kids eat it plain, just heated up.