Lesson Learned the Hard Way

MOFOWLER

Two days ago I was on my way home from a morning of duck hunting when I fell asleep, went off the road and rolled my truck. My truck is beyond destroyed but most of my hunting equipment including the jon boat in the bed of the truck were relatively undamaged. I wanted to post this because I want you guys to know that it can happen. I have driven tired a million times after hunting and I never thought something like this could of ever happened to me. Then bang it did. Be careful out there and if you are tired stop and take a power nap or something. It took a split second for it to happen. I thought I was invincible, but now I will never make that mistake again. I thank God everyday I didn't hurt anyone else.

MOFOWLER,

I had a similar experience about 18 years ago. I was coming home from a dove hunting trip in eastern Oregon. My buddy was asleep in the passenger seat and his dog was asleep in the rear seat. I noticed that I was getting drowsy and I promised myself I would get some coffee at a cafe that was only a couple miles up the road.

Well, the next thing I knew I was going over a steep bank and heading for a bunch of trees. After everything came to a stop and I crawled out of my car (the door was jambed shut) I luckily found that my buddy, myself and the dog were basically OK with only a few bloody scrapes and cuts. My car, on the other hand, was totaled.

I made a promise to myself that I would ALWAYS pull over and sleep or stretch if I got sleepy while driving in the future. I have kept that promise all these years since that fateful day.

I figure that God was giving me a warning that day and I don't plan to push my luck again!

Glad you're OK, and it's very good that you didn't hit someone else.

Hurting someone else would be a tough thing to live with.

Maybe it's bad timing, but this reminds me of a joke I heard about a week ago.

Comedian said that he used to travel with another standup comic, and they'd always drive from city to city.

This guy says he'd always do the driving while the other SOB was always sleeping.

He was getting fed up with the other guy always sleeping so he decided to play a little trick on him.

He pulls into a rest stop, pulls up to within about 20 feet of some big trees, puts the car in park, revs the engine, flips the high beams on and starts screaming.

I guess it's a pretty scary thing to wake up and realize that you're in a moving vehicle.

Again, sorry for the bad timing, but perhaps that'll be funny in a year or two.

Sorry to hear about your accident, but just becouse you got up early and hunted all day, that is why you were tired. Do you snore are you getting good sleep most people dont I had the smae thing happen to me and found out i had obstructive sleep apnea and had some surger to fix it much better now. Be safe and you might want to speak to your doc.

[ 11-11-2006, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Chip67 ]