choke tubes

turkeycalln

I just recently bought a SBE. I am not to familiar with choke tubes. I mainly got it to use for turkey hunting but I am slowly getting into duck and geese hunting. I would like to know your opinon on what chokes to use and/or if I should buy aftermarket chokes and what shots work best. Also what factory chokes would you use on quail and doves.

you can try and pattern your full choke that came with the gun but you will almost always produce tighter patterns with an extended tube designed for turkey hunting. i have not found a good tube for my sbe yet but i do use a truglo tube in my nova.

your sbe came with five tubes and only the C, IC, and M are recomended for use with steel shot. as for which tube to use will be determined how the birds are flying. pattern your factory tubes first but i have found that after market extended tubes produce better patterns with steel shot, especialy high velocity loads, then do the factory tubes. i use Briley IC, LM, and M for ducks and a hastings IM for geese.

for quial i use an IC to F depending on the time of year and how the birds are jumping and i use a C to M on grouse.

for doves/pidgeions i use a F because a lot of longer shots are taken.

pheasants get a LM to F depending on time of year and how they are jumping.

hope it helps

good luck

i use a skeet choke for most upland birds because i like to eat them and it only takes acouple to pellets to kill one . ive seen too many good birds reduced to mush by too much shot. if the bird goes down the dog will get it alive or dead. your best bet (and most expenceve) is to by a couple differnt chokes and pattern your gun on paper at mesured distances. ive found that evan using 7 1/2 shot at 25yd it will still be quite tite and ive seen chuckers explode with a 20gauge shot at 20-30yd

it all depends on the birds. adjust to the birds, for instance, late season pheasants in iowa are notorious for jumping 30+yds infront of you while grouse usually jump at your feet.

ducks might be working your decoys and hanging 10yds infront of you one day and passing over at 35yds the next.

i always carry a few extra tubes

good luck

I bought a Hastings turkey tube for my SBE and find it works great....tight patterns. I have not "whiffed" yet using it but must admit, I do not shoot over 35 yards...I imagine that's no big feat but I prefer the birds I shoot at drop. They drop.

I think you can get them either direct from Hastings (located in KS) or from Cabela's.

It sticks out about an inch and a 1/4 but it's a matte black and gives no reflection.

For geese, I use the modified steel tube that came with the gun and find it works fine for decoys or birds set to land....don't expect tight groups out too far...I'm interested in hearing about a good SBE Steel tube for "T's"...any recomendations?

VonFatman

Originally posted by turkeycalln:

I just recently bought a SBE. I am not to familiar with choke tubes. I mainly got it to use for turkey hunting but I am slowly getting into duck and geese hunting. I would like to know your opinon on what chokes to use and/or if I should buy aftermarket chokes and what shots work best. Also what factory chokes would you use on quail and doves.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is hard to tell which choke to use, it depends on the load that you intend to use. I shoot hevi-shot and it cannot be shot out of an extra full choke, much the same as steel. I am a firm believer in hevi-shot, having taken a fall gobbler at a measured 72 yards. I am trying (in vain) to find a hevi-shot choke for the new SBE II. Have the gun on order, but I am told that the threading has changed and that the new choke tubes are criogenically treated like the barrel, so I am going to have to go back to lead if I get the gun in time for this springs's hunt. Anyways back on topic. The only thing you can do is to try different chokes and ammo, it gets expensive, but it is less expensive than missing a longbeard because of a mis-matched ammo choke setup. My dad uses a comp-n-choke and has had very good luck with it, also try briley, they make the extra full turkey choke for Benelli, at lest according to the catalog they do.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All, First time post

I have one of the new Primos Jellyhead Turkey Chokes for my SBE and I am very happy with it. It will smoke a bird out to 50 yards with #6 hevi-shot.

the only problem I have had, and it has been with every choke I have ever shot from this sbe, is that the gun consitently shoots low and right about 6 inches. I was unsure why but just decided to put a set of machined metal tru-glo sights on it, they are fully adjustable just like a good quality rifle sight. so far so good.

I just bought the pistol grip stock and plan on installing it tomorrow, anyone have any comments on this new stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Turkeycallin, My SBE shot best with a Hasting .660 ported choke and Winchester 3 1/2" HV #6 shot. At 40 yards it would put and around 18 in the kill zone. I've tried an Kicks GT .665 also and it did okay but the Hastings did a little better in my gun.

[ 04-09-2004, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Camo ]

Originally posted by jimmyn75:

It is hard to tell which choke to use, it depends on the load that you intend to use. I shoot hevi-shot and it cannot be shot out of an extra full choke, much the same as steel. I am a firm believer in hevi-shot, having taken a fall gobbler at a measured 72 yards. I am trying (in vain) to find a hevi-shot choke for the new SBE II. Have the gun on order, but I am told that the threading has changed and that the new choke tubes are criogenically treated like the barrel, so I am going to have to go back to lead if I get the gun in time for this springs's hunt. Anyways back on topic. The only thing you can do is to try different chokes and ammo, it gets expensive, but it is less expensive than missing a longbeard because of a mis-matched ammo choke setup. My dad uses a comp-n-choke and has had very good luck with it, also try briley, they make the extra full turkey choke for Benelli, at lest according to the catalog they do.

I picked up my New SBE 11 on the 9th of April and was really wanting to get an extended crio Turkey Choke that handles Remington Heavy Shot so i emailed Benelli to see what they had to say about this issue? The gunshop owner said i did not need anythingbut the full crio choke that comes with it but could not say if the hevi shot could be used with the full crio choke that comes with the shotgun! i tried a box of #4 Winchester Supreme 3 1/2 Mag 2 oz shot at 50 yds on a 100 yd rifle target and it was most definetly time to smoke a turkey! tried at 100 yds but only a dozen pellets hit the target but i had an 18 mph crosswind from rt to lt! will wait till the Albuquerque wind slows to try it again plus ya can only shoot at 25 yds, 50 yds, or 100yds, so i will go out elsewhere to dial it in! My friend from Colorado just killed a 25lb 10 1/2 bearded gobbler this morning and he said he used a 3' Remington hevi shot waterfoul #4 said about a 65 to 70 yd shot and he is using a mail order super turkey choke but forgot what kind? Oh yea the shoutgun kicks harder than my 300 wsm BAR MUCH HARDER!! will post when i hear from benelli about hevi shot chokes!