why ain't they talkin

turkeycalln

Turkey season just opened up the past weekend. The weather has been changing from warm one day to cold the next and lots of ran. The turkeys have been very active but just don't want to talk at all. I've heard only one tom gobble one time since the season opened. Other people in the area are having the same problem.

Does anybody have any ideas? Could it just be the weather?

NOTE: The neighboring farm has been cutting some hardwoods. About 150 to 200 acres so far. Could that be the cause of silent uninterested toms?

I ve been everyday for a week. Spotted 4 toms and one of those multi days. All within a couple hundred yards of each other. Still haven't heard the first gobble out of them.

I had the same problem last year. I believe it was because most of the toms i was hunting were henned up. Try using a crow call or owl call to get them to gobble. usually it just takes them something to get going. woodpecker calls work well too, i have a friend that uses them. From experience, the weather also has a large affect on the toms gobbling. But hey, thats hunting. Good luck. Let us know what hapens.

NN

[ 04-17-2004, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Nick_Navarro1414 ]

I had the same problem last year. I believe it was because most of the toms i were hunting were henned up. Try using a crow call or owl call to get them to gobble. usually it just takes them something to get going. woodpecker calls work well too, i have a friend that uses them. From experience, the weather also has a large affect on the toms gobbling. But hey, thats hunting. Good luck. Let us know what hapens.

NN

Hey we are having the same problem in Arkansas too. I just kept patient and finally got a Tom with a 12'' beard, got him at 45 yards with my Nova. He never made a sound until he got so close I could here him strutting.

Same deal here in upstate NY last spring, cold wet and miserable, and the wind was blowing so much you couldn't hear any talking anyway. Half the season the birds stayed on roost all day. First year in a long time I did not get a spring tom. About a week after season ended the weather turned and there were birds every where! Oh well. Our season does not open untill the 4th of may, and I hope the weather stays like it is right now, it was 85 and sunny today. All I can say is don't give up, and besides, a bad day in the field is better than any day at work! Hunt safe.

And by the way, if the weathers good and they still are not talking, try some agressive fighting purrs and cackling, the high pitch is often too much for them and they reflex gobble.

[ 04-19-2004, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Sidewinder ]

The weather has finally be at a warm temperature for several days now. This past sat. 4/17/04 I heard my TOMs gobble for the first time this year. Bagged a nice 2 year old tom 19.08lb 9(1/4)beard 1(3/8) spurrs. First tom with my sbe benelli and I was very pleased even though it was only a 20yrd shot. Now I am going after the the big one with my matthews bow. So hopefully I'll get this 5year old bird and have a state record. Which is the best bird Ive ever seen in my life.