SBE 2 Pattern results

Gooseblitz

I took the new toy out for it's first run on the pattern board. It shoots a little high so I'm gonna change the shim but I shot the Rhino Hevi Shot choke.660 that is made for the Extrema. The old benelli chokes won't fit the new crio barrels, they are the same as the Extrema. at 13 yards it blew a hole about 2 1/2 inches wide the widest spread of the pattern was 7 inches wide and . The hole was about 2 inches high of my aim dot. Later snap shooting from 20 yards with gameloads and the regular crio chokes showed the the gun patterned a little high than I like about 100-0. I like them about 70-30, my old benelli was about 50-50. I shot some turkey patterns at 40 yards no bench no scope yet. I shot some Winchester 3 1/2 inch 2 1/4 oz #6's. I averaged 186 hits in a 10 inch circle with 68 in the head and neck. I tried a couple Hevi Shot #6's only 1 1/2 oz though and they were so bad I didn't count them up. Supposedly the Nitro Hevi Loads will pull 250 or so in the 10 inch circle but I haven't had the balls to spend $25 for 5 shells while I'm laid off. I also tried the Benelli Crio choke full and put 64 in a 10 inch circle and 19 in the head and neck. BTW I have an extra Rhino .673 choke for the old Benelli SBE that has never been fired if any one wants to make an offer. They retail for $85 or $90.

I patterned my SBE II this weekend and it shot a little high also. I have a red dot mounted on it so it was no problem making a correction. I tried a number if different brands. The best pattern I found was with the standard full choke and Remington hevi shot 3 ½ inch 1 7/8 oz. of 6 shot. This combo was good out to 50 yards. At 45 yards it was putting 37 in an 6 inch circle.

I tried just about everything this weekend. None of the 3” turkey loads shot worth a darn no matter what choke I used. The lead shot best out to 40 yards with a Brileys special turkey choke and Winchester 3 1/2 inch HV 2 oz. 6 shot. I don't shoot steel so don't know what to tell ya about that.

Yeah I don't shoot steel either...and I have no plans to out of this gun...I switched to Bismuth as soon as it came out and then to Tungsten and finally Hevi Shot when I am waterfowling...I haven't found and Hevi Loads that outperform the Winchester 3 1/2 lead so I will stick with these until I try the Nitro Hevi Loads.

Best pattern i have come up with is with the Winchester 3 1/2 #5 Turkey 2 oz loads the Knight and Hale Vendor also claimed that they patterened the best also? Just finished breaking in my SBE 2 and since ya gotta treat hevi shot like ya treat steel and use the modified chokes i think i will stay with the Winchester Lead # 5's and the full choke! at 26 bucks a pop its hard to figure that they could be wice as good as the lead!! asked Benelli tech when or if they were coming out with a turkey choke for the SBE2 and he said he knew nothing about it! Ya can get a 2 or 4 shot magazine extender for them but thats about it for accessories! STICK to LEAD!! why pay almost triple the price? Remington needs to spend some of that money they get on hevi shot to build a gun that does not hang up!! hehe!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a turkey hunting trip and the bird I got can't argue with the pattern, but I was hoping for better myself. When I did shoot mine the best out of it was Winchester 3 1/2" high velocity #4, with about 10 pellets in the head and neck from 40 yards. I got rid of an 870 for the SBE2 and with the 870 and hevi-shot I was getting 35 to 40 pellets in the head and neck. I have contacted Benelli a couple times in regards to a turkey choke and they say they are working with Briley on it. Can't get here soon enough for me. I was told that the Beretta Optima chokes work, but since they are not cryo-treated I am afraid to use them. If they expand and contract different under heat I really don't want to ruin a $500 barrel for a better pattern. Also am wanting a hevi-shot choke for this gun, can't wait to see what it does then.....

Well I spent some time at the patterning board this weekend. I’ve tried and optima plus turkey choke that mikes out to be a .660 without much success. I also tried and Briley Turkey choke that also was a .660 wasn’t impressed with that one either. The best so far for me has been the Pure Gold turkey choke .670 using Remington Hevi Shot 1 7/8 oz. in 6 shot. It was passable but not as good as my old SBE with a Hasting ported .660 choke and Winchester HV 6 shot. I also tried the Hevi-Shot using the Crio full choke .680 that came with the gun and that did just about as good as the Pure Gold choke. So I’m still trying to find the right combo.

Originally posted by Gooseblitz:

I took the new toy out for it's first run on the pattern board. It shoots a little high so I'm gonna change the shim but I shot the Rhino Hevi Shot choke.660 that is made for the Extrema. The old benelli chokes won't fit the new crio barrels, they are the same as the Extrema. at 13 yards it blew a hole about 2 1/2 inches wide the widest spread of the pattern was 7 inches wide and . The hole was about 2 inches high of my aim dot. Later snap shooting from 20 yards with gameloads and the regular crio chokes showed the the gun patterned a little high than I like about 100-0. I like them about 70-30, my old benelli was about 50-50. I shot some turkey patterns at 40 yards no bench no scope yet. I shot some Winchester 3 1/2 inch 2 1/4 oz #6's. I averaged 186 hits in a 10 inch circle with 68 in the head and neck. I tried a couple Hevi Shot #6's only 1 1/2 oz though and they were so bad I didn't count them up. Supposedly the Nitro Hevi Loads will pull 250 or so in the 10 inch circle but I haven't had the balls to spend $25 for 5 shells while I'm laid off. I also tried the Benelli Crio choke full and put 64 in a 10 inch circle and 19 in the head and neck. BTW I have an extra Rhino .673 choke for the old Benelli SBE that has never been fired if any one wants to make an offer. They retail for $85 or $90.

• 3 months later...