Coyote/Turkey decoys

69beers

Coyoteweb.jpg

I was turkey hunting with two Delta rubber decoys 15 yards in front of me when, completely out of nowhere, this coyote came running full speed and attacked my hen decoy! It ran up faster than I've ever seen a dog run before, jumped through the air, made a snarling sound, and nailed the hen. It ripped out of the ground and knocked it about ten feet. Right about then I touched off a Winchester HV 3 1/2" mag #5 to its face and neck. End of show.

This was not expected at all and seemed somewhat unusual, to say the least. It is now at the taxidermist for a full body mount. I had to do it just for future conversation sake. I've also never killed one before, never seen one this big, and don't personally know anyone who has killed one at less than 200 yards, however, I'm sure it has happened. Note that although the picture doesn't really show it, it is longer than my tailgate and longer than my Benelli! Has anybody ever heard of this happening while turkey hunting?