Call em on in

Bryce Brodeur

• 2 weeks later...

There is no best call.

A diaphragm works well for locating or on windy days because of it capacity to generate more volume.

When they're close in, a soft sounding slate or glass call is hard to beat.

I carry a diaphragm, a double glass, and a slate.

Lynch's box calls work very well and are easy to use too.

Many friction calls are rendered useless by moisture, so learn to use a mouth call or stay at home on rainy or foggy days.

[ 12-07-2004, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with tucker301. There really isn't 1 call that anybody can say is the best. It is all pesonal preference. I use a diaphram call for most all my calling. I had trouble with the diaphram call at first, so I purchased a training CD from MADD calls. It has several world champions explaing their methods of calling and how they do it. Then put it in your CD player in your car or truck and practice, practice, practice. Now is a good time to get comfortable with the calling. Hope this helped and good luck hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

All calls sound great: Box, pot, push-pull, mouth call, etc. The deadliest call by far is the mouth call, mainly because you can have your face up against the stock while keeping both hands on your gun while making your calls. I prefer a slate/glass call as well as mouth calls.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I purchased the primos THE FREAK WITH CRYSTAL call and it has a really good tone to it if you know how to use a i friction call. I can use a diaphram or however you spell it call decently both i personally enjoy the freak because of the sound and that you can strap it to your leg or gun. But i would recommend you knowing how to use a mouth call for when the turkey gets real close.

I prefer the diphram over a friction call any day. If you get being real good at it they work better than anything. Friction calls work great as well but the mouth call just have the right tone and you can do it more steadily. Im extremely good with the mouth call and have even won some state competions on mouth callin. Just practice and ull get there before u know it.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with tucker301, there really is no best call on the market. I've used several with pretty good success getting birds in close. But H.S. Strut makes and Anodized Aluminum call called the Black Magic. It has an acrylic striker, and can be used in any weather. But if it's not damp when you're hunting, I perfer using the Rosewood or Hickory striker with it. It makes great purrs, yelps, clucks, and with practice, you can cut real good with it also. A diaphram call is probably best when turkeys get real close, because you can keep both hands on your gun and there's less movement so as not to spook your bird. Hope this helps out!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Bryce Brodeur:

What is the best call you can buy on the market?

A very easy nice soft sounding slate call for the money is the little deuce by hs strut. A lot of those higher frequency crystal and aluminum calls are great locaters. I will have to agree with tucker though the diaphram is by far the best call for close situations. If you can't figure it out, practice practice, practice.