M1 Field 20 gauge for Turkey?

Talon

I'm thinking of buying an M1 Field 20 gauge, and I was wondering if anyone has had luck using it as a turkey gun. I plan to use it for ducks (with Kent Tungsten Matrix shells), squirrel, rabbit and doves, and will likely buy it in the Camo pattern. Think it will work on turkeys with a full choke? Any suggestions for shot size?

Originally posted by TurkeyKrazy:

There was an 8 year that did a WORLD SLAM shooting a 20ga,either last year or 2003. I killed my very first turkey with a 20ga using 3 inch 1 15/16 ounce made winchester I think. The Hevi shot and a good choke would probably be your best bet. Trial and error,Trial and error.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it would work well for turkey. One assumption I am making is that the M1 can be used with steel shot. I would probably use Hevi Shot or Kent Tungsten for ducks with this gun, but it would be nice to have steel as an option up close over decoys. Is the M1 Field barrel steel-safe?