Now what???

StrutStopper

I busted two birds off the roost this a.m. How bad did I screw up? How long should I wait before I try to get on em again?? Heres the story....

I got there as it was breaking daylight. I blew an owl call and nothing. I waited and blew it again...nothing. I was at this gas line about 30 yards wide with woods on either side. I move on up the gas line and by now its really getting light.Well I heard some crows off in the distance so I thought Id try the crow call. I hit it hard and GOOOBBBLEEE. He was on down the gas line and sounded like across the creek. I moved on that way and hit the crow call again. Again he gobbled back. He still sounded further across the creek. This is where it goes south.....I wanted to get as close as possible to him so he would come on in before he got henned up. I moved on down a little further and hit the crow call again.....nothing...I was like what the crap. So I said well maybe he will holler back at a hen. So I got the slate and hit a few soft yelps...well no sooner than I hit the last note, one flies down from the same side Im on and lands about 45 yrds away...well as he lands, the one that had been gobbling flies down and lands beside him. So here I stand with shotgun slung over my shoulder and decoys in a bag, with 2 longbeards not 50 yrds away...I was hosed...I just stood there and one started puttin real light and they just eased off. I set out the decs and called and then got up and tried to get out in front of them and called some more but nothing. ...it was really dishearting...if I would have just sit down when he gobbled that second time, he would probably have flew right down to me.Im pretty sick over it to tell the truth. sorry so long Im just still pumped.

Originally posted by StrutStopper:

...it was really dishearting...if I would have

Welcome to turkey hunting.

If this spot is yours alone, and you have somewhere else to go, give it a day's rest.

If this spot is hunted by others or if it's your only spot, then get it while it's hot.

Turkeys are not smart creatures. Add mating season and they just get dumber, just like us :D

Originally posted by StrutStopper:

I busted two birds off the roost this a.m. How bad did I screw up? How long should I wait before I try to get on em again?? Heres the story....

I got there as it was breaking daylight. I blew an owl call and nothing. I waited and blew it again...nothing. I was at this gas line about 30 yards wide with woods on either side. I move on up the gas line and by now its really getting light.Well I heard some crows off in the distance so I thought Id try the crow call. I hit it hard and GOOOBBBLEEE. He was on down the gas line and sounded like across the creek. I moved on that way and hit the crow call again. Again he gobbled back. He still sounded further across the creek. This is where it goes south.....I wanted to get as close as possible to him so he would come on in before he got henned up. I moved on down a little further and hit the crow call again.....nothing...I was like what the crap. So I said well maybe he will holler back at a hen. So I got the slate and hit a few soft yelps...well no sooner than I hit the last note, one flies down from the same side Im on and lands about 45 yrds away...well as he lands, the one that had been gobbling flies down and lands beside him. So here I stand with shotgun slung over my shoulder and decoys in a bag, with 2 longbeards not 50 yrds away...I was hosed...I just stood there and one started puttin real light and they just eased off. I set out the decs and called and then got up and tried to get out in front of them and called some more but nothing. ...it was really dishearting...if I would have just sit down when he gobbled that second time, he would probably have flew right down to me.Im pretty sick over it to tell the truth. sorry so long Im just still pumped.

When they are that close and you know how far away they are or have some idea it is better to setup. Remember in early season there aren't many leaves on the trees and the turkey's are closer than you think. Wait a couple days and then try again. Also once a turkey is spooked he most likely wont gobble the rest fo the day. They always say bet on the turkey. Goodluck to you and I hope to encounter some action like yours on saturday as it is our opener.

[ 04-05-2005, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: schwabta ]

• 4 weeks later...