Pattern help please!

turkey

I shot my 3" 12 guage today. Here are the results...With #4 shot I totally blew the head apart at 20 yards, Put 36 hits in the head & neck at 30 yards but only 3 hits in the head & neck at 40 yards. Why such a sudden drop? I then switched to # 6 shot. Similar results but with 8-12 in the head and neck at 40 yards. Any Advice?

After some advice and some reading up, I guess I was over choking the # 4s. I am using the Comp-n-choke xxx full. I switched to winchester supreme turkey loads..2oz # 5s. The results with the 5s were 34-36 good hits at 30 yards...17-22 good hits consistantly at 44 yards.

Tucker, I've killed a lot of turkeys and very few over 30 yards. I was just kind of confused as to why my gun was performing that way... more than being concerned that I might not be able to take a long range shot at a bird. I guess I have my answer. Thanks All.

Originally posted by turkey:

Tucker, I've killed a lot of turkeys and very few over 30 yards.

10-4

I just personally believe that trying a tom over 30 yards is risky at best. I know people do it all the time, but I'd rather let him get away clean than to cripple him and lose him.

I've killed maybe 30 Spring gobblers in my time and I had my second miss (I'm sure a few hit him) last year at 40 yards. It won't happen again.

disclaimer: The above comments are my own personal beliefs based upon my own experiences. If you can kill gobblers at 150 yards with #9 shot, then go for it.

I come prepared; I bring a shotgun, and I bring an observer with me that carries an air rifle.

I have shot only one gobbler with that and it was at 100yds and it wasn't getting any closer so I shot him right in the neck, (but I was aiming for the head) ;)

And I wouldn't recomend anyone else trying it because I spent 1300 on an air rifle thinking that it would come in handy and after ten years just once :mad:

You are absolutely right Tucker. I'll bet that the majority of game that got away wounded (deer, turkey or whatever) were the result of taking an ill-advised shot.

Mudhen, I tried the win. ext. # 6 today. That really is an impressive load. I couldn't believe the pattern that I was getting...consistantly over 20 good head/neck hits at 40 yards. (Shooting 3" .) It was pretty expensive though.

Yes, it is rather pricey, pricey but good!

If I shot it during duck season, I would end up spending $1500!

I have heard that the Win Extended is non-tox and will be available for waterfowling once given the final USFW approval.

mudhen - CA

Hey fella's . New to the forum here, but had to post up how Impressed I was patterning my new SBE 2. I was surprised to get well over 100 hits inside a ten in. circle at 30 yards!! With the factory lead only full.

I am also shooting an SBEII. The Win Ext. #6 shells are they 3" or 31/2", or does it matter. What about #5 shot or does it matter?

How does it compare to Hevi-shot loads?

Sorry to bother with these annoying questions.

The extended range loads use a denser substance than lead. But It isn't as good as hevi-shot, but I like them because they may not be as good as heavy-shot but they don't leave any crap in the barrel. I would recommend #5 as an all around turkey shot, thats your best bet or if you are really buff and can take the recoil get 3 1/2 in shells in #4 and you get just as many pellets as a 3" only they are a little bigger thus more smoked turkey for you.

The shot and shell size do make a huge impact on the recoil and the killing power. The begger the better and the smaller the # for shot the bigger the pellets are.

For specs refer to:

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotshell.aspx

At That page you can search for ammunition types and size specs. and on the front page to the left of the table to which if you look to the right there is text an at ther very end of the paragraph there is a link to a shotshell table.

• 2 weeks later...

Mudhen are you shooting 31/2" or 3" shells out of your SBEII, and why #6's are they heavy enough, and what about 5's? I am just curious, obviously your set up kill, but I'm a fairly new addict to turkey humting.

One last question if you don't mind. Does this high density stuff scratch the barrel of your SBEII. I was using my nova for the heavy stuff since I was Afraid it might score the barrel.

3.5", as they patterned better (more pellets!) - yes, the Ext #6's worked just fine, I got a much better pattern with Ext #6's (more pellets!) than I did with the Ext #5's.

But, I would use Ext #5's in a heartbeat if I ran out of Ext #6's. Actually, I usually load the Ext #5's as the second shot in my SBE II.

No scoring from Ext - they are well below HS on the scale.

Also note, according to Winchester CS just last week, Winchester Extended Range are not made from lead. They will likely be USFW approved before waterfowl season 2005-2006 as a non-toxic shot.

Now I had heard this before, but I'll wait for an official confirmation before I go out and buy any for dux....

mudhen - CA

Thanks mudhen I appreciate your field tested and proven advice.

Just one last annoying question as it is easy to be overwhelmed by the amount of information coming at you these days.

What about the new Federal high density loadings with the flite control system. Did you ever try them or is this brand pretty similar to the others.

I know this is parsing hairs as I killed a tom this month with a load of #5 HS. He was deader than dead and would have wound up the same at 30 yds with just about any turkey load at that range.

Again, I'm sorry to annoy you w/ this minutia, but you seem to have the experience backed up w/ proven results.