Jellyhead & SBE II...

mudhen

My brother also has a Jelleyhead for his SBE II. He was using Winchester XR 3 1/2 #6's too. When he called me yesterday to tell me about his pattern he was so excited I couldn't understand him.

After seeing this I can see why!! Seems like I understood him to say he had 49 in the red, and an unbelievable amount in the kill zone.

Good job mudhen!

Originally posted by GW:

Mudhen,

A couple of questions on the JH pattern:

How many ounces of shot?

How many hits in the 10" circle?

Thanks for posting all your patterning results. I find them very helpful.

GW

Yep, 2 oz in the 3.5" XR's.

234 hits in the 10" circle for about 51%. I have hand counted several XR #6's and get around 226-230 per oz.

I was impressed with the JH over the weekend...

mudhen - CA

Those are great results, twice as good as I get with the factory full. Thanks again for sharing them and providing the additional info. Sorry, somehow I missed the fact that you were using 3 1/2", I wasn't sure if it was the 3" (1-3/4 oz)or 3 1/2" (2 oz), so again, thanks and sorry if my question was redundant.

BTW, I got a nice bird Friday off public land in the Georgia mountains. The weather has been a little uncooperative here, but the birds are starting to gobble now.

Best of luck to everyone this season.

GW

I can't speak on the Rhino.

But, I bagged one this morning using the Jellyhead, and the Winchester XR 3 1/2 #6 at 25 yards. The Turkey bird was DRT, in it's tracks. My brother got one this evening at 30 yards with Winchester 3 #6's and rolled the bird. When we cleaned them very few pellets were in the birds torso.

Originally posted by pbro21:

Muden,

Does the difference between the Jellyhead and Rhino warrant buying the Jellyhead? Is the pattern that much better or knock down power that much better in your opinion?

Seems like the JH likes XR #6's and the Rhino likes both XR #5's & #6's.

They are very similar, but yes, I think the JH is a slightly better tube for XR #6's.

Both tubes will travel with me in the turkey fields...

mudhen - CA

Mudhen,

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll stick with the Rhino Win XR 3.5" #6's for this year because I don't have time to get a Jellyhead in and get it tested. My turkey season starts next Tuesday, and it'll be pretty much non-stop from there until the third week in May. I did check Nitro's website and they do recommend the Rhino .660 with their hevi-shot 4x5x7. I may try that it in the off-season, and I will definately be getting my hands on a Jellyhead. Thanks for all the info.

I didn't count my pattern tests but the bird I got today at about 40 yards (my buddy swears it was more like 45. Had all but one hit in the head/neck and that one went through the lower leg and into the gut. Go figure. Might have to rename mine the Jellyneck in this case. SBE1, Jellyhead, 3.5" Federal Mag-Shok 5's.

Just curious...I too have found very good patterns with the winchester extended range # 6 at 40 plus yards. Is there a good test to see just how far out the shot still has enough energy for sufficient penetration? Don't get me wrong, I think every turkey I've taken has been inside of 35 yards.

[ 04-23-2006, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: turkey ]

• 3 weeks later...

Mudhen, or anyone else,

I just bought a S.B.E.II. I need to hurry about getting a turkey choke since there are only 3 weeks left. Where might I purchase the Jellyhead or Rhino chokes, or anything else that will work in the S.B.E. II? Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by dblcluck:

How did your new gun and choke combo work?

I shot the S.B.E.II with win. ext. range #6. At 40 yards over 35 hits in head and neck. I only shot a few times because I did not have many 3.5 " left. Shot a turkey yesterday...the first with my S.B.E. II. It took over a year to decide on the S.B.E. II. So far I am totally pleased with the gun. Wish I had done it a long time ago. Vey light..easy to carry...easy to clean...recoil is no issue at all. I had heard that it would have an awful kick. Much less recoil than any other 3.5" I have ever shot. I like the jell pad. I am glad I did not buy the gas gun I was considering.

Originally posted by mudhen:

I'm a big fan of Rhino choke tubes, but the Jellyhead .660 ain't bad either. The JH seems a bit more dense in the center. I've never had 51 hits in the 3" circle with the SBE II.

36 yards with Win XR #6's...

jelly.jpg

mudhen - CA

Hey Mudhen, just curious, are you using a scope or Red Dot site, or are your just using the twin beads that come on your gun?

Just the beads.

I aim at the base of the neck, and the pattern hits right where you see it on the target. I like being able to see the bird's head all the way up to the shot.

With my Brownings, I have to cover the head, which has led to some misses and marginal kills...

mudhen - CA

I'm seriously thinking of picking up a SBE II for next springs season here in NY, and I hear you on the "open" sights!! I currently use a scope, and while it works great, I can see the benefits of not having anything blocking your view!!

[ 05-22-2006, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: dblcluck ]