Buying a new turkey gun HELP!

CoolhandLuke

I love my nova. i've killed 4 gobblers this spring with it at ranges from 21 yards to 50 yards. i've got a Tightwad choke in it and shoot winchester 3" #6's. i've patterned it to 40 yards with 20+ pellets in the neck and head. it comes down to how a gun shoulders and feels to you. took a while to get used to the thicker grip compared to and 870. there's my two cents.

It doesn't matter what gun you choose, just take the time to patteren your gun. Shotguns are like rifles, when it comes to patterening. Shot size is VERY important, just because your gun does not patteren well with a particular brand, going up or down 1 shot size from what you have already tested can make a world of difference. btw I shoot a SBE, it is the best investment I have ever made

So have fun and enjoy your new gun, whatever it is

For turkeys, I like underbored guns like the SBE II because I shoot small shot through tight choke tubes. Win XR #6's pattern well through my SBE II and Primos Jellyhead .660.

The SBE II is also ideal for me because I travel to hunt and keeping the Benelli clean on the road is no problem.

Larger shot like #4's tend to like slightly more open chokes.

The Xtrema & Xtrema II are overbored guns, and tend to pattern larger shot better. Berettas have more moving parts to clean as well.

That being said, I'm sure someone could figure out what choke tubes work best in the X or X II on turks. Probably HeviShot though a .670 or something like that.

I might be buying an X II this summer. I will certainly try to make it a turkey gun, but its primary purpose is for ducks & geese.

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by 69beers:

quote:
Originally posted by mudhen:

Win XR #6's pattern well through my SBE II and Primos Jellyhead .660

mudhen - CA

What happened to the Rhino???? The JH was just a tad better with the #6's.

I still use the Rhino for #5's.

The new 2006 nickel coated Win XR's #6's patterned better in the JH for some reason.

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by mudhen:

For turkeys, I like underbored guns like the SBE II because I shoot small shot through tight choke tubes. Win XR #6's pattern well through my SBE II and Primos Jellyhead .660.

The SBE II is also ideal for me because I travel to hunt and keeping the Benelli clean on the road is no problem.

Larger shot like #4's tend to like slightly more open chokes.

The Xtrema & Xtrema II are overbored guns, and tend to pattern larger shot better. Berettas have more moving parts to clean as well.

That being said, I'm sure someone could figure out what choke tubes work best in the X or X II on turks. Probably HeviShot though a .670 or something like that.

I might be buying an X II this summer. I will certainly try to make it a turkey gun, but its primary purpose is for ducks & geese.

mudhen - CA

I may be getting the SBE II in the near by future, it's good to know what works in this gun!! Thanks!!