whitetail photo gallery

birddog

congrats lefty ... sounds awesome!! You've gotta love fresh venison!! Like my father in law told me after I took a couple of does on the last day of rifle season after hunting all week w/o a clean shot at a mature Buck, .."Horns make really thin soup!".

Mark it up as population/herd control!

Plus, if you shoot the spots off them they taste better!! HAHA :D

A heavy brine of pickling salt and garlic powder. Soak for 24hrs. this will pull out a lot of the blood on steaks and chops.

Then grill on a HOT bed of coals or HI on gas!!! Grilling will keep the meat from cooking in it's own juices... one thing to remember is not to overcook it. like liver .. it has a tendency to toughen up from being so lean if over cooked and if it's cut wrong... watch out.

If I'm cooking meat from a full rut swollen buck... I just cut the backstraps out and grind the rest for sausage and burger meat... but thats me. I'm not a fan of pungent venison either.

[ 01-11-2004, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: birddog ]

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a picture of one I killed this past season. I killed him with my 870 Supermag w/ a 24" fully rifled barrel, 3.5x scope, and shooting Barnes Expander slugs. Stone dead at 30 yds. Shot him in the throat. 10 pts. and 240 lbs.

http://home.ripway.com/2003-12/42694/Buck1.JPG

Casey

[ 01-28-2004, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: caseyquimby ]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Benelli Southpaw:

that is very true, horns do make thin soup, but i would shoot a doe over a buck any day unless i was going to mount it, those bucks are just too strong to me, i don't care how much salt you put on em. any tips on how to draw out some of the gameyness??

Benelli Southpaw,

There is a terrific book on the Stoeger Publishing web site named Wild about Venison.

Check it out!

www.stoegerpublishing.com

Bon appetit!

tongue.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Benelli Southpaw:

that is very true, horns do make thin soup, but i would shoot a doe over a buck any day unless i was going to mount it, those bucks are just too strong to me, i don't care how much salt you put on em. any tips on how to draw out some of the gameyness??

Benelli Southpaw,

Check out www.stoegerpublishing.com.

You will find many fine cookbooks for game.

One in particular that may interest you is Wild About Venison.

Bon Appetit!