chokes for doves

cmdoves

I have a Montefeltro Super 90 12 Gauge. I recently was dove hunting in southern Colorado and I asked several people in our party for advice on the proper choke for doves. No one could agree and I tried the improved cylinder, skeet and modified chokes and the improved cylinder semed to work the best. Any comments or suggestions?

I shoot IC for every thing and find that it works best for upland and doves. Since steel shoots a tighter pattern than lead I find IC works well for waterfowl. If I new all my shots were going to be 40 yards plus like pass shooitng geese I would shoot mod but I don't pass shoot that often so IC works for me.

Originally posted by cmdoves:

I have a Montefeltro Super 90 12 Gauge. I recently was dove hunting in southern Colorado and I asked several people in our party for advice on the proper choke for doves. No one could agree and I tried the improved cylinder, skeet and modified chokes and the improved cylinder semed to work the best. Any comments or suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t know if the doves fly like they do here in Georgia. But after a few dozen rednecks shoot at a dove they can really move. I find that in this situation a modified choke is the best for me. However, I generally stick to the improved cylinder. On windy days I will switch to modified. It will spread the shot out a little more and hopefully puts a better shot pattern around the bird.