20 ga. Upland Load, Choke Setup

M1Super90

hey i was wondering what 20 gauge upland loads you all use? please say all the specs of the shell(dram,oz of shot, shot size, etc.) also tell what choke you prefer.

For me, lead shot is legal in Mn but all of the lead loads i come across have poor velocities. any advice? i mainly hunt grouse and pheasant

chokes vary on conditions and birds ...

Pheasant

wild birds- Federals 'Pheasants-Forever' loads 2-3/4" with 1oz. of #4 or #5 copper plated lead at Max Dram. Eq. reving at 1240fps.

pen birds- Federals 'Game-Shok' 2-3/4" with 1oz. of #5 or #6 lead no idea on the Dram. Eq. but rev at 1220fps

Grouse/woodcock

steel- Federals old steel 'Duck and Pheasant' loads with #7 steel - I don't remember what Dram. Eq. they were at but i think they reved at around 1300fps ...?? don't recall .. the new line of Federals 'Speed-Shok' replaced the line so I'll be testing that out when my supply lessens.

lead- usually shoot left-over sporting clays loads of 1oz #8 magnum lead shot ... think they're at around 1300 fps but not too sure. after that its Federals older 'upland' loads of 1oz #7's Dram. Eq. 3.25 at around 1200fps.

hope this helps

Originally posted by M1Super90:

hey i was wondering what 20 gauge upland loads you all use? please say all the specs of the shell(dram,oz of shot, shot size, etc.) also tell what choke you prefer.

For me, lead shot is legal in Mn but all of the lead loads i come across have poor velocities. any advice? i mainly hunt grouse and pheasant

:D I HAVE A 620 VS AND IT LIKES ROTTWEIL GAME LOADS IN 2-3/4" 1OZ SHOT, 7.5 SHOT SIZE WORKS VERY WELL WITH DOVE, QUAIL, OR PHEASANT THE 2 1/2 DRAM EG PROVIDES NEARLY 1300 ft/sec. MUZZLE VELOCITY

ALSO THE SAME SIZE ROUND IN WINCHESTER AA IS AN EXCELLENT CHOICE TOO

[ 09-25-2004, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: gpsman007 ]

• 1 month later...

All of my pheasant hunting is stocked birds here in Mass., and I hunt over good pointing dogs. Almost all shots are fairly close, less than 30 yds. I use a 20 ga. side-by-side with Modified & Improved Cyl. chokes. I put a 1 oz. 2 3/4" lead #6 heavy field load in the Improved barrel and I use a 3" 1 1/4 oz. #6 lead (Remington Nitro Mag) in the modified barrel for the second shot. Sometimes I use a very light 12 ga. Black Powder double, and when I use this one, I use 1 1/8 oz. of #6 lead shot with 90 grains of FFG black powder. Either gun works just about the same on pheasants (deadly).

When hunting quail or partridge (grouse to you!) I always use # 7 1/2 lead shot. I only use 2 3/4" 7/8 oz. cheapo field and trap loads on these birds, I find it to to be plenty good enough. In the BP 12 ga. double, I just switch shot size and use the same charge of BP and shot that I use on pheasants.

Lenny B

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...