skeet,trap clay piggions whats the diference?

dovekiller

I am currious about going and shooting some kind of sporting clays but dont know wich one to do.There are so many different ones I get confused.Wich one would you recomend to a youth who is going to be mostly dove hunting but may do some qual and duck.Thank you for your time! tongue.gif

Originally posted by dovekiller:

I am currious about going and shooting some kind of sporting clays but dont know wich one to do.There are so many different ones I get confused.Wich one would you recomend to a youth who is going to be mostly dove hunting but may do some qual and duck.Thank you for your time! tongue.gif

For dove I would recommend skeet. That would probably simulate dove the best. You get crossing shots going both ways and incoming overhead shots.

For quail, trap would be good because the targets fly like flushing birds.

For ducks skeet or sporting clays. Sporting clays is always good because it is set up to simulate all different types of hunting situations. Everything from landing ducks to springing teal to crossing pairs and even running rabbits.

• 4 weeks later...

Sporting clays is usually the most expensive. Skeet will give you more target presentations that trap. Do whatever you can afford because, at your level. exposure is more important than anything.

5-Stand is very fun and usually priced much like trap or skeet.

If you are going to simulate hunting; make sure you practice "low gun" which means you call for the bird before you mount the shotgun. You won't have a chance to pre-mount the gun in the field so don't get into the habit of doing it on the range.

• 3 weeks later...

Lety me break it down for you best I can. All though best thing would be to try them all!

Skeet: Birds relatively close. crisscrossing in front of you. Shot from 9 staions. Great way to learn how to swing a shotgun. Round= 25 birds, usually $3-5 plus ammo.

Sporting clays: Shot usually in groups of 50 or 100. Multiple stations. Tries to show you many different target presentations simulating many different kind of birds(and rabbits too). Good ranges will have different size clay pigeons and varied terrain.

This is a lot of fun. Usually aroung $25-$30 for 100 targets, plus ammo.

Trap: Trap you stand in one position and all the birds are moving away from you

Never shot 5-stand, but I hear that's a blast.